Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 10:19 PM   #16
biga572
AF Newbie

My wife's 2000 blazer just started doing this same thing. If you look at the wiring diagram you will see that the flasher is in the supply line going to the turn signal switch. The flasher is a bi- mmetal switch that when your turn signal is on the current flowing through the flasher causes it to heat up and open the circuit. When it cools the switch closes again and repeats this process as long as the signals are on. Since the flasher is making this noise with the signals off, there has to be a low resistance, or a short to ground causing this problem. I am going to tear into it and see if there is anyway of fixing this without replacing the whole assembly, because I dont want to pay that much for a switch if I dont have to.
biga572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 06:40 AM   #17
missionblazer
AF Newbie

I'm having this problem with my '98 Blazer too. I haven't had it fixed yet, but I have been told by a mechanic friend that the problem is with the control module unit. What happens is that with age/time there is some grease or something that eventually starts leaking down onto this control module. With this grease are some metal shavings which cause the short. It's possible that removing the control module and using some contact cleaner can solve your problem. Maybe something to consider, since a replacement control module isn't cheap.

Here is a link on how to replace the control module. It doesn't seem to be loading right now, but it does work usually.

http://www.autoparts4chevy.com/troub...s/id-2532.html

Good luck everyone. Something to consider also...Calling and bitching to Chevy Corporate Customer Service repeatedly may cause them to look into doing a recall on it if they see that this is a big problem(which it obviously is).
missionblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 10:06 PM   #18
biga572
AF Newbie

Re: turn signal wont stop ticking even after light goes off!

Well I just got done working on the turn signal switch and atleast for the moment life is good. I read the link from missionblazer and it was a big help.I suppose time will tell.
biga572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 01:48 PM   #19
stevehy
AF Newbie

Re: Re: turn signal wont stop ticking even after light goes off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokebyford
Talked to a friend that is a blazer diehard and he said chevy is having this problem on the late 98 and early 99 blazers.It is caused by a short in the control module unit that includes the multi-function lever and emergency flasher button.This unit needs to be replaced as a whole but he assured me that replacing it will solve your problem.

Same problem here - I have a 1998 bazer, replaced the flasher still does it. Don't want to pay a lot for a new module...

Steve
stevehy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 11:30 PM   #20
theotherartist777
AF Newbie

2000 Blazer LT SAME Blinker Problem

My 2000 Blazer LT just started doing the SAME thing today. Talk about obnoxious... I'm going crazy with the constant ticking. Sometimes if I brake hard it sounds like rapid fire. Hopefully, I'll have some luck with advice from some of the other posts.
theotherartist777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 11:54 AM   #21
tyaquint
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to tyaquint

10$ fix its the flasher under the glovebox. i have the same thing. its a black relay looking box.

t'
tyaquint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 01:26 PM   #22
tyaquint
AF Regular

10$ fix its the flasher under the glovebox. i have the same thing. its a black relay looking box.

t'
Old 01-27-2005, 01:28 PM   #23
tyaquint
AF Regular

10$ part autozone, its the flasher under the glove box. its black looks like a relay box.

t"
Old 01-27-2005, 01:28 PM   #24
tyaquint
AF Regular

shit i hit return a few too many time DAMNIT sorry i put it up 3 times my bad

t"
Old 01-27-2005, 06:42 PM   #25
ACCX4
AF Newbie

Arrow at least you have ticking

The only ticking I have on my 97 is when the hazards are on and then only the rears flash. I have no turn signals and both flasher relays and the fuse have been replaced. The latest problem is I am now down to one brake light. The 3rd one. Makes for a really interesting drive. Nobody seems to know hand signals anymore... well... except for one...(see the icon test message for more info on that). I am brave enough to change the turn signal switch (brave by removing the air bag module etc.) but for the cost (165.00), I would like to be better than 50% close to the answer. If I press the hazard button down and hold it then the rear hazards work. It is actually supposed to work in the full up position. It doesn't. I am not sure but I don't see the brake lights being attached to that switch. What could the deal be there? I have checked/cleaned up all fuses at the fuse block. Any advise would be appreciated.

Incidentally, what are the chances of a random air bag explosion?
ACCX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 09:19 AM   #26
bjaymo3
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to bjaymo3
Re: Hey Brokebyford

After having read several replies related to this topic of the heater not "putting out", I decided to do a flush/fill. Thank God my mechanic is an old friend because he found that I just needed to add a gallon of antifreeze. That sucker will blow you out of the vehicle with heat now.

Emabarassed in NC
bjaymo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 12:40 PM   #27
tyaquint
AF Regular

i though i responded to this one but i guess it didnt go through, prolly a 10$ flasher part under the glove box, that was what was wrong with mine, if u take it out and the noise stops its ur flasher unit. easy cheap fix. get it from autozone or somewhere like that its cheaper.

t'
Old 01-28-2005, 12:51 PM   #28
doozie
AF Newbie

I just had this problem fixed on my 99 Blazer. The ticking would not stop unless you stepped on brake...
Before I brought it to my mechanic, I researched the problem on the internet, which brought me to this forum. You'll see this topic alot on here!
My mechanic replaced the turn signal/wiper switch taking the steering wheel apart, and replaced the flasher too because it was going on for so long I feared I was burning it out!
He gave me the old turn signal switch, and it did have some grease in it.
Good luck to you!
doozie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 12:02 PM   #29
davejb550
AF Newbie

I had the same problem, and replace the blinker hazard switch with one from the junk yard. It still did the exact same thing. I also had a problem with the wipers working only when they wanted. I replaced the wiper circuit board which is next to the wiper motor, and both problems were fixed. The bad circuit board will have a burnt trace on it. Takes less then 10 minutes to check.
davejb550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 09:50 PM   #30
natg2001
AF Newbie

I have same issue. I notice when i wiggle the hazard button I can make the flasher click, also here some arcing - electrical. Its gotta be the hazard switch. Is it truely a multifunction switch that cost hundreds?? I've heard this somewhere else. Also I'm worried about that airbag.
natg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote