Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Bravada
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 11:41 AM   #1
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

Exclamation Gotta electrical problem?

Find something hot or suddenly smell smoke from burning electricals?
Disconnect the battery until you can do some checking. Disconnect the battery post easiest to get to.

So far the common electrical trouble seems to be with:
Power seats in general...possible corrosion in the wiring under the carpet under the drivers feet.
Power lumbar support wiring shorts due to insulation being worn off the positive(+) wires.

The positive wires in most of the circuits are HOT at all times and due to the circuit being completed on the negative side of the devices, any connection inside the circuit, like a worn negative wire insulation shorting to ground before the switch can:
Make the device function without your control input.
Cause other devices in the module that is in the circuit group like door locks and interior lights in the power seat circuit to work intermittently.
Create a short straight to ground by way of worn insulation of a positive wire on to a grounded metal object.
Circuit breakers are installed to open the circuit before severe damage occurs...hopefully, so a little 5/16 combination wrench or even a little ratcheting 5/16 wrench available at most auto parts stores, will help you disconnect the battery quickly.

Personally, I've chose to set the lumbar support on my seats to the comfort of the primary driver then disconnect the wiring connector with the purple/blue wires going the the lumbar support motors under the rear of each seat.

All other ideas are most welcome and appreciated!!

Last edited by Chris Stewart; 03-27-2006 at 06:20 AM.
Chris Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 06:11 PM   #2
ericn1300
AF Premium User

Re: Gotta electrical problem?

you can also get a quick connect adaptor for the battery cable that allows you to disconnect the battery with out tools. there are two types. one has an oversized hand screw, the other has a lever and cam locking system. they can be a real life saver in case of an electrical short and come in handy when servicing the vehicle because almost all repair procedures begin with "disconnect the battery"

i first installed them on my older vehicles to keep the battery from running down between uses and found them so handy i put them on all of my vehicles.

Last edited by ericn1300; 05-18-2006 at 07:12 PM.
ericn1300 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Bravada