Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Firebird Discussions
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
Firebird1
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Firebird1
69 Firebird frame replacement

Hello, i have a 69 firebird that I am partially restoring with some modern upgrades. I am replacing the existing control arms with tubular arms, but my question is can I use a motor hoist to lift the car to replace the frame? The reason why is that I beleived I saw a crack in the frame. the car has been hit and hit hard in the front. therefore instead of trying to fix the 40 something year old frame I would like to try to replace it. Secondly what does the frame weights without all the steering stuff on it? I would appreciate any advise or comments. Thank you.
Firebird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:33 AM   #2
tuske427
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to tuske427
Re: 69 Firebird frame replacement

Do you have the car apart? If you strip down the front end- remove all the sheet metal, drivetrain, suspension, etc you could support the remaining car shell on jack stands (support the front part of the car under the rocker panels and use some wood to help disperse the load) and remove the subframe. It's all of 4 bolts at this point. Be sure to untorque the bolts first before jacking the car up in the air. Perhaps soak them with "PB Blaster" or the like for a few days beforehand.. The bare subframe itself is not that heavy. I can pick one up and carry it, and I haven't been to a gym in over 10 years. They are just long, awkward and front heavy, so use a floor jack to support it at the cross member and the back half will be very easy to lower/ lift as needed. Of course, having extra hands always makes the job easier.

While the frame is off you can inspect for cracks, strip the paint and grime off/ have media blasted, etc and repair the crack(s). Some simple measuring could determine if your frame is bent. These can be straightened at a body shop (they may want it still on the car- call a shop first before taking it apart to discuss.) You could also use another first gen (67-69 camaro/ Firebird) or even a nova subframe (68-74) as a replacement. Or, you could opt for a new one. If you want a stock one they are reproduced now, I think Classic Industries sells them (amongst other places) Or go aftermarket. Numerous companies make them. some offer complete assemblies with suspension, steering, etc. Determining your budget, skills, and project goals will help you determine what you can and should do. The cheapest route will be to either use your frame (depending on condition/ repairs needed) or replacing it with a used original. I see them listed for sale on various forums regularly. They are still plentiful and available.

If you wish to see a '67 Firebird be completely torn apart you can check my build threads of my car at either car domain or Hotrodders.com

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/392973...ntiac-firebird

(more detailed with pics and descriptions)

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=20939

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

-Brendon
Old 05-01-2012, 11:16 PM   #3
tuske427
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to tuske427

Here's a new listing from today. Non rusted California parts, too.

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=36670
Old 10-16-2019, 09:08 AM   #4
Firebird1
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Firebird1

Sorry for the very overdue response. Thank you for the information. I've been off this site for sometime how. the front end is off the car. there is a crack from the bottom of the spring preach to the middle of the frame on the driver's side and the front of the frame is crinkled slightly. Therefore, i'm going to replace the frame. Thank you for so much your insight in this matter and good luck on your build.
Firebird1 is offline   Reply With Quote