Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 10:12 AM   #1
Wolf95
AF Regular

glue problems

I'm trying to figure out which glues are best to use for modeling. I used to just use the Testors cement for plastic models (the real thick kind) Then I picked up the liquid Testors cement. But I've been having trouble with parts falling apart too easily (i.e. mirrors, windows, exhaust, etc...) So I found some Gorilla super glue. It bonds a little better but the problem is it expands which makes it difficult to hide. Also, When I'm using elmers white glue for the windows, they tend to come off pretty easily if accidently pressed too hard So I go back with the weak spots with the super glue. Same problem: it expands.

Would regular super glue work? any help would be appreciated. thanks
Wolf95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
CFarias
AF Regular

Re: glue problems

You will find that having a variety of glues and cements will provide the most flexible assembly options for you.

I use liquid cement for the body parts. It make for strong yet flexible joints.

I use super glue for the mechanical parts like the engine, interior, and chassis. It dries fast and is easy to shape making the build process faster.

I use special watch crystal glue for the clear parts. It dries strong, holds well with you first put a part on, and dries ultra clear.

I use epoxy glue when applying metal parts to plastic, like photo-etch or white-metal. The glue is strong and flexible enough to hold together different materials.

Hope this helps.
CFarias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
MidMazar
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFarias View Post
You will find that having a variety of glues and cements will provide the most flexible assembly options for you.

I use liquid cement for the body parts. It make for strong yet flexible joints.

I use super glue for the mechanical parts like the engine, interior, and chassis. It dries fast and is easy to shape making the build process faster.

I use special watch crystal glue for the clear parts. It dries strong, holds well with you first put a part on, and dries ultra clear.

I use epoxy glue when applying metal parts to plastic, like photo-etch or white-metal. The glue is strong and flexible enough to hold together different materials.

Hope this helps.

When joining parts it also helps to have plastic to plastic contact. Best fuse possible.

Not paint to paint.

My arsenal consists of

Super glue (crazy glue) I like the gel kind, don't need much. But fogs areas if too much is used.

Testors white glue or even better glue is micro kritsal klear for windows and lights. White glue but dries clear.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:13 PM   #4
Wolf95
AF Regular

thanks for the quick replies. I think my friend has some "clear window glue" (not sure the brand) maybe I'll Gank some of his as a test.
Wolf95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
Didymus
AF Enthusiast

Are you sure you're using Gorilla Super Glue with the blue cap?

Regular Gorilla Glue is not a super glue. It's notorious for expanding as it dries.

CA glues (called super glues), including Gorilla Super Glue, don't expand when they dry. In fact, they contract a bit.

Gorilla Super Glue is rubberized, which makes it less brittle and more flexible. So it's impact resistant, which I think is an advantage in model building.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
glue , gorilla , super
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling