Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 01:06 AM   #31
Macio4ever
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1/20 Ferrari 248F1 w/ super detail set from Hobby Design

Very clean CF work!

Macio4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:12 AM   #32
DerXL
AF Enthusiast

Great work you're showing on the CF front.
I can imagine that it costs a lot of time. But boy, does it look good.

Concerning your question for temperature sensors:
I once bought some from F1 Specialties

Haven't tried them yet though and I don't know if those are the ones you're looking for...

Visit my homepage for WIP's and galleries :
www.axelv.com
DerXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:50 AM   #33
kostinha
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CifeNet View Post
Thanks for the tip; I am not sure what it is about though! It is somewhat flattering to be honest!
The same thing at F1m...

http://www.f1m.com/main/forum/viewto...p?f=25&t=15163

Be careful...

Best Regards
kostinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:18 PM   #34
CifeNet
AF Enthusiast

Thank you guys for encouraging feedback.

My work progress is moving at a painfully slow pace, but I intend to get myself moving forward. Once I pass the engine detailing, I think other stuff will just come together nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerXL View Post
Great work you're showing on the CF front.
I can imagine that it costs a lot of time. But boy, does it look good.

Concerning your question for temperature sensors:
I once bought some from F1 Specialties

Haven't tried them yet though and I don't know if those are the ones you're looking for...
Thanks for the link! I looked at the decals and they are exactly what I want.

I am somewhat worried though as the web site has not been updated for a long time and I am not sure if they are still actively in the business... Hmmm...
Old 02-25-2011, 12:35 PM   #35
CifeNet
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostinha View Post
The same thing at F1m...

http://www.f1m.com/main/forum/viewto...p?f=25&t=15163

Be careful...

Best Regards
Thanks for notifying this. Now this worries me somewhat.

At first, I didn't think of this as a big deal. I know this is not the first time my web site pictures, my images have been posted by someone else.

Some articles I wrote get translated into different languages and my web pages get linked from other sites without my knowledge.

I took all these as a positive thing in this "big and yet small" scale hobby community where we are encouraged to share knowledge and to establish an information friendly society.

I think I know the person who is trying to post my build progress, he made contacts with me before. I will contact him and tell him to get my permission from me before posting my pictures to sites that I do not know.

This way, I am protected and also I don't want to act in selfish manner(not that my pictures are so great and they need to be protected).

BTW- I have to confess too that I have been saving many images of the beautiful builds from the members so I can use them as reference! They come very valuable!

At any rate, I am glad to know that we are looking out after each other and our members!
Go-figureit (02-25-2011)
Old 02-25-2011, 03:00 PM   #36
Go-figureit
AF Newbie

I had been watching this great thread and like you, I have the kit on the shelf for some time now as a result of your advice and help, I'm now feeling more confident of tackling it - Initially I thought my eyes were deceiving me, but also spotted your "shadow" poster over at F1m,
Thanks again,
Cheers,
Paul
Go-figureit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:08 AM   #37
kostinha
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CifeNet View Post
Thanks for notifying this. Now this worries me somewhat.

At first, I didn't think of this as a big deal. I know this is not the first time my web site pictures, my images have been posted by someone else.

Some articles I wrote get translated into different languages and my web pages get linked from other sites without my knowledge.

I took all these as a positive thing in this "big and yet small" scale hobby community where we are encouraged to share knowledge and to establish an information friendly society.

I think I know the person who is trying to post my build progress, he made contacts with me before. I will contact him and tell him to get my permission from me before posting my pictures to sites that I do not know.

This way, I am protected and also I don't want to act in selfish manner(not that my pictures are so great and they need to be protected).

BTW- I have to confess too that I have been saving many images of the beautiful builds from the members so I can use them as reference! They come very valuable!

At any rate, I am glad to know that we are looking out after each other and our members!

Hi CifeNet,

Thanks a lot for your words, i just wanted to tell you that somebody is using your build pics at three or four modeling forums maybe without your permission.

And by the way, great job, keep on the excelent work!!

Best regards from Portugal

Kostinha
kostinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:25 AM   #38
DerXL
AF Enthusiast

Hey CifeNet

It's been some time ago since I last ordered from F1 Specialties. And indeed, the site hasn't been updated since.
Don't know if they're still in business. Wouldn't hurt to contact them though.

Good luck!

Visit my homepage for WIP's and galleries :
www.axelv.com
DerXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:34 PM   #39
CifeNet
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerXL View Post
Hey CifeNet

It's been some time ago since I last ordered from F1 Specialties. And indeed, the site hasn't been updated since.
Don't know if they're still in business. Wouldn't hurt to contact them though.

Good luck!
That was what I was afraid of. I have been buying things from them since the year 2000, but lately they have made no update for some time and I just don't want to create a problem right now. Maybe I will give them a call and see what the status is.

Thanks again for finding the decals, I will keep in mind!
Old 03-07-2011, 12:07 AM   #40
CifeNet
AF Enthusiast

Thank you guys, but can you call this "update"!?

So sorry...

I sat down and spent hours, but after looking at the photos I took, I see no progress!

Very discouraging and feels like futile efforts.

Hopefully the light at the end of the tunnel is coming soon and I hope to be picking up some pace.

Since I had to cut the top suspension arm into two pieces (this is how Hobby Design tranny block works), I had to make sure that the geometry sits correctly when attaching the arms. The red arrows are the mounting points which I had to verify and confirm the positions.

To prevent damaging the Alclad coat surface (they do rub off when handled moderately), I gave some thick acrylic clear coat here!

Some builders would use Future coat, but I prefer the acrylic clear because of better sheen. At lease that is my story and I am sticking with it!

It appears that the close up picture reveals the "toyish" look of the Museum Collection carbon fiber decal pattern here. Not too worry though, I think the carbon fiber looks quite good on a naked eye when viewed from a normal distance.

I added the rocker arm and its shaft. Once I complete the suspension geometry, I am hoping the things will look much better and more complete.

This shows how many different carbon fiber patterns I used in this build. Again, as I stated earlier, I know this isn't how the purists do their builds and it is not as accurate as they real thing, but I am building it my way.

To give some accents on certain parts, I will try to use these metal films. I think they are much shiner than "Bare Metal Films", but thicker. Again, I will try to mix and distribute the usage throughout the build...

Thanks for keeping up this boring build with me so far!

More to come...

Last edited by CifeNet; 03-07-2011 at 01:39 AM.
CifeNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:43 AM   #41
racer93
AF Enthusiast

Great job! But wow--that gearbox is devoid of details! Yikes.
racer93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:27 PM   #42
Go-figureit
AF Newbie

Still looking good - yes I really like your creative approach to the different CF patterns - my sentiments exactly - never let accuracy get in the way of a nice looking finish! If it looks good, - well go with it - if nothing else it creates a nice feeling!
Cheers,
Paul
Go-figureit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:50 PM   #43
CifeNet
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer93 View Post
Great job! But wow--that gearbox is devoid of details! Yikes.
Thanks! Unfortunately, I am not making enough progress, looks like I am stuck with the gearbox forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-figureit View Post
Still looking good - yes I really like your creative approach to the different CF patterns - my sentiments exactly - never let accuracy get in the way of a nice looking finish! If it looks good, - well go with it - if nothing else it creates a nice feeling!
Cheers,
Paul
Paul, you have nailed it for me, I couldn't said it better myself! At the end, I think it is the way of the interpretation of each builder that makes this hobby interesting.

Of course, making it very real is hard to do and when my skill comes short, I learned to do things differently.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:35 AM   #44
CifeNet
AF Enthusiast

Feeling very uncomfortable for not making any forward progress, I decided to tackle the suspension part.

Added note here, for some reason I found the Fujimi kit very hard to imagine and understand to flow of the build... The unusual part design requiring odd separation work may have some contribution to it.

I ended up fabricating the shock and I must say the result wasn't very satisfying. This is actually after several mock up builds spanning hours and I ran out of fuel to make another attempt to better the result.

Maybe I should blame for not having correct lathe or tools.

The setup of the spring coil part (in the middle of the shock that connects by a shaft) is not actually a spring, I don't think. But that didn't matter, I ended up making it as a spring... Hmm...

I corrected the shape and position and also added the shock oil reserve (what it seems like to me).

These shock parts are to be painted black, but I may leave them as they are. I am not too sure at this time.

Migrating my focus and efforts to the body parts here. Started to add putty and fill the seams.

You wouldn't believe how happy it is for me to see this... I have been starring at the gearbox for the past months and now I am starting to see some exciting shape!

Moving on the to head of the engine, I gave quick red coat.

The exhaust pipe has some indentation(A) and (B), but I think (B) is the only seam line that we should see.

Thanks for following the build and will update soon.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:01 AM   #45
racer93
AF Enthusiast

I wasn't referring to your detailing of the gearbox, just Fujimi's lack of detail from their end. You've don't a great job on it. I hope that came through in what I said--sorry if it didn't...
racer93 is offline   Reply With Quote