Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse 2000+
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 08:35 AM   #1
90everydirection
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 90everydirection
New 3g, need parts help.

Hey folks. I finally just junked my old 86 volvo wagon, and got a 2001 spyder gs in the summer. For fun, I got and installed the V2 and magnaflow cat-back. I bought pulleys (from AEM) but decided they'd be a waste of time.
I've been doing research about the 3G's, but have had trouble figuring out how exactly to get more power out of my engine. I want to go FI, and already have some bank saved towards whatever I end up getting, but I've not been able to find complete turbo kits for my car. Recommendations? Also, Rippmods has that stage 2 kit with the 11psi boost, but I've been hearing way too many mixed things about them to just blindly buy it.
What other sort of upgrades can I do/ need to do in order to accomodate FI? I'm relatively new to this (obviously) and any and all advice is welcome!
90everydirection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:16 AM   #2
90everydirection
AF Newbie

Re: New 3g, need parts help.

Hey how much boost in psi can the I4 handle anyways?
Old 01-13-2005, 02:37 PM   #3
eclipsed4utoo
AF Fanatic

the engine has been proven to be able to handle up to 15psi of boost on the stock internals. as for turbo kits, there is only one kit being sold for the I4. its the max rev kit. AAI has a kit but they have to find somebody to sell it for them. so your best bet is to go with a custom kit. there are many 3Gs with custom turbo kits. we have a few threads on this board about what you would need for a custom kit. welcome to the club
eclipsed4utoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 12:56 PM   #4
Sleepr awd
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Sleepr awd Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepr awd

someone on this board was selling an 8.5 psi kit for the 4g64 engine (same as urs) might be worth looking into

Don't act like you don't love it.
503/2000
Sleepr awd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:52 PM   #5
90everydirection
AF Newbie

yeah thanks I checked that out actually. I heard that JohnnyB or someone similar to that also sold turbo kits for the 4g64 and was wondering how to contact him?
So stay away from the Rippmods kit? I had one of the techs from ripp email me and he told me that the boost comes in at the same levels after generating the boost initially (i.e. low boost under 3000 in first, but after I shift to 2nd and 3rd etc. the pressure is still there). Yeah. If that's accurrate, why get a turbo? don't they have to re-spool up after each shift?
Old 01-14-2005, 02:36 PM   #6
eclipsed4utoo
AF Fanatic

johnnyB does not carry that turbo kit anymore. AAI was the actual designer of the kit and johnny was just selling it. Donny, the owner of AAI, still has the turbo kit and is currently searching for someone to sell it.

as for the ripp email, they have been known to exaggerate and lie for the purpose of selling their kits. they failed to tell you that, on a supercharger, you do not reach max boost until redline. so if you were running 6psi on a supercharger, at 3000rpms(which is halfway to redline) you would only be producing 3psi of boost.
however, with a turbocharger, you will hit max boost(6psi) at around 3000rpms, and will keep that boost until redline. using a recirculating bov, you would eliminate the problem of having to respool
Old 01-14-2005, 02:40 PM   #7
eclipsed4utoo
AF Fanatic

turbo kits are known to make more HP than superchargers, and with the technology available, they can be just as reliable
Old 01-14-2005, 04:40 PM   #8
90everydirection
AF Newbie

Thanks! I've been getting a little nervous about buying from those guys...it just sucks because they're in long island and that's probobly one of the closest places to me right now, as far as performance places go.
I understand about the turbo and supercharger, but that's semi-not what I was confused about earlier. Ripp guy said that that would only be the case in first/ second gear, but that after that the pressure/ boost would remain so, in effect, the s/c wouldn't have to spool up again to get to maximum boost, it would already still be there from pre-shift.
I don't think that made any sense lol~
Old 01-14-2005, 04:53 PM   #9
90everydirection
AF Newbie

actually also had another question: Headers. How can people install 4-1 race headers on their cars and still pass emissions?! I wanted to get one, (won't need one now with me going turbo) but I was still curious.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:22 PM   #10
eclipsed4utoo
AF Fanatic

first, there are no 4-1 headers made for the 3G. if there were, you still wouldnt be able to "legally" pass emissions. the headers would replace your cat, so you would fail the visual inspection then. even if you did keep you cat, you would probably still fail the sniffer part of the test. however, you could try becoming friends with an inspector and he might let you go.

i see that you have the 4cyl. you could look into turbo manifolds off of a 95-99 2G GST/GSX eclipse. they bolt right up to your engine and are made for a turbo
Old 01-18-2005, 01:14 PM   #11
90everydirection
AF Newbie

I could be wrong, but doesn't DC Sports put out a 4-1 header for the 3g?!
also from earlier, what about the boost that the RIPP guy was discussing after shifting? is it still there, does it dissapate, and what would a BOV do to that?
-Thanks
Old 01-18-2005, 01:54 PM   #12
eclipsed4utoo
AF Fanatic

DC Sports has a 4-2-1 header i believe. but it still removes the cats so its still going to be illegal in most states.

yes the boost dissapates. you loose RPMs when you shift so there for you will loose boost. i believe this exists with both SC and turbos

when you let your foot off the gas when shifting, the flap in the throttle body closes. however, the turbo keeps producing boost b/c it is still spinning from the exhaust. the BOV releases that built up pressure. however, if you get a recirculating BOV, then the built up boost is recirculated back into the intake pipe and is there waiting for you to get back on the gas. therefore, the turbo wont have to respool as much.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse 2000+