Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 04:39 PM   #1
WRCfan
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to WRCfan Send a message via MSN to WRCfan Send a message via Yahoo to WRCfan
Eggenberger Texaco Sierra RS500

I purchased this kit a number of years ago and have been sitting on it, finally decided to pull the trigger and build it up.

I was lucky enough to come face to face with the exact #1 machine that Tamiya used to create this particular kitset. It was in Japan for a number of years, before finding its way to New Zealand.

As the kit is super simplistic (and my scratch building isn't very good) I will be just trying to recreate a clean build of this car, with a little bit of this and that thrown in where I can. I purchased Shunko decals for the car although they are rather pink, as opposed to red. Has anyone had any experience with them? The original ones are salvageable if I layer some laquer over them and cut them out. Any info with the markings would be very much appreciated.

Here are a few images of the actual 1:1 machine (totally original), as well as the kit before I attack it this afternoon. If anyone is building this kitset and wants any detailed images just let me know. I have an entire photoshoot.

Click to enlarge images

Last edited by WRCfan; 12-29-2017 at 06:07 PM.
WRCfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WRCfan For This Useful Post:
stratos75 (01-09-2018)
Old 12-30-2017, 10:07 PM   #2
Shunter2402

Re: Eggenberger Texaco Sierra RS500

Bathurst Cheats....lol
It is a great car and these do build into a great models...will watch with interest. I have only one left but about three decal sheets i would love to use but the cost of these kits is through the roof right now.
Shunter2402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:46 PM   #3
WRCfan
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to WRCfan Send a message via MSN to WRCfan Send a message via Yahoo to WRCfan

Shunter you are dead right haha, well according to the Bathurst officials and DJR. Perhaps they knew they couldn't foot it with Rudy and his giant killers. haha. How have you accumulated three sheets!? Im super envious, if you are prepared to part with one I might need backups as I have decided to use the original decals as the Shunko ones are indeed too pink. Hopefully the originals aren't too far gone to use.

Have been ticking away at the underbelly of the Sierra, suspension and drivetrain is all in and looks nice considering it is such an old tooling. Now I need to see whether I attempt adding some extra rollcaging to the interior, or just focus on a nice belt set, and some wiring.

Have thrown a couple of the rear end on the real car up for anyone interested.

Thanks for watching!

Old 01-02-2018, 03:15 AM   #4
Shunter2402

Not a problem if you want a sheet i think i have one or two laying around. When i said the comment about the sheets i have the old RooDecal sheets to do Brock's, Seton, Bond & Johnson's Sierras...just need more kits...lol
Old 01-02-2018, 12:52 PM   #5
ixlr8nz
AF Newbie

Gidday,

I built the Djr sierra this year. Came out great! Btw I also have the shunko texaco decal set and it is too pink, not red like it shoud be. S.k. decals is coming out with a texaco decal set very soon. Look them up on facebook. I will surely be buying one. My shunko set will end up in the bin I hope.

Mike
ixlr8nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:09 PM   #6
Capri-Schorsch
AF Enthusiast

Great car and many thanks for that awesome pics.
I hope one day i will start a 1/12 RS500 project.
Always love that big Sierra in Texaco livery.

regards Christian

Resin Kits and Parts for sale ! New Updates on my website.

Capri-Schorsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:02 AM   #7
reJI
AF Regular

I think the original Tamiya decal better to use, I recommend only 1 day before laying through the brush with the Tamiya x-22 clear.
reJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:27 AM   #8
WRCfan
AF Regular

Hi everyone!

A wee update tonight. Did some work on the interior, have swapped the seat out and added a little detail. Black base means anything added really pops. I just wanted a few additional bits and pieces to add a little to the inside.

Next up is the body!

Old 01-31-2018, 05:09 AM   #9
ixlr8nz
AF Newbie

I see S.K. decals is selling their Texaco Decal Set now! I will be buying one this week. I have two sets of the original decals and also a set of the shunko ones, and all are no good. One Tamiya decal is going yellow and the other is not printed well (Not a sharp print, almost blury). The S.K decals set looks great and the right red going by the photos.
ixlr8nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:07 AM   #10
Shunter2402

Looks great...nice details in the cabin area..certainly lifts the plain finish the kit was.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:36 PM   #11
WRCfan
AF Regular

Hi everyone.

Apologies for the lack of action on the thread lately. Finally it is back into it as I went ahead and ordered a set of the SK Texaco decals just released. Man what a great looking product. Super crisp and sharp printing, and the perfect shade of red. Can't wait to get them onto the body of the Sierra.

Here is the difference between the Shunko ones and SK sheet. More car related updates coming soon!

[/url]
[/url]
chris24 (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 07:10 AM   #12
Stubeck
AF Newbie

I’m assuming the punk was trying to replicate the neon. I know the similar NASCAR scheme of the 90s was neon red which almost looked pink.
Stubeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:26 PM   #13
WRCfan
AF Regular

Thanks for following everyone.

I forged on with the building side of things and am now into the decals. So far the quality is awesome, no borders, they don't like being moved around on the surface but no microsol is required as they are almost a super thin rubber like texture? Amazing quality too.

Here is the kit so far, tomorrow we will have a complete Texaco RS500!

Old 02-18-2018, 04:39 PM   #14
WRCfan
AF Regular

We are complete.

Finished thread coming up soon!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports