Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Sebring | Sebring Coupe | Convertible
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 08:46 PM   #1
Oldengineer
AF Regular

Chrysler 2.7L Engine Problems

Has anyone had an engine failure because of timing chain lubrication problems. Apparently the guys that own Intrepids and Concordes are having big problems. My Sebring has the same engine, only turned sideways.

Regards:
Oldengineer
Oldengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 08:17 AM   #2
eleyebee
AF Newbie

Post 2.7 problems

If you check out www.daimlerchryslerproblems.com you should get some idea about the problems people are experiencing. It doesn't look promising. Sorry!
eleyebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 08:24 AM   #3
eleyebee
AF Newbie

2.7 engine problems

Sorry, the web address is www.diamlerchryslervehicleproblems.com.
eleyebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 08:44 PM   #4
Oldengineer
AF Regular

Cool

I checked out the website. Apparently the problem is primarily with the 1999 & 2000 model years. Chrysler apparently modified the design after that to eliminate the problems.

Regards:
Oldengineer
Oldengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 02:31 PM   #5
Lewiscopy
AF Newbie

Re: Chrysler 2.7L Engine Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldengineer
I checked out the website. Apparently the problem is primarily with the 1999 & 2000 model years. Chrysler apparently modified the design after that to eliminate the problems.

Regards:
Oldengineer
On August 26, 2004, The Center for Automotive Safety sent a letter to Dieter Zetsche, CEO of Daimler Chrysler. In their letter they document nearly 500 engine failures due to sludge buildup. Facing similar problems with their engines, Toyota and Volkswagen have elected to etxend their warrantees to cover engine failures. Chrysler has done no such thing, apparently claiming that all 500 engine failures were due to improper maintenenace, despite the fact that many complainants have receipts showing 3000 mile oil change intervals (manual calls for 7500). Repair costs ranged as high as $9500, averaging $5200. For the full 9-page text of the letter, visit http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?did=961&scid=122
For more info, Google on "Chrysler 2.7 engine failure". You'll also find a site for a potential class action lawsuit.
Lewiscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:21 AM   #6
rep2714
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldengineer
Has anyone had an engine failure because of timing chain lubrication problems. Apparently the guys that own Intrepids and Concordes are having big problems. My Sebring has the same engine, only turned sideways.

Regards:
Oldengineer
Yes I have a 01 Sebring LXI, motor is junk because of sludge buildup and timming chain failure.
rep2714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 12:30 PM   #7
leadpaint
AF Newbie

I have the same engine in a 2002 Sebring...
Is there a way to tell if the engine is BEGINNING to build up any oil sludge, so that it can be treated before it gets too late?? Does the car show any signs? I still have warranty left!

THanks
lp
leadpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 02:39 PM   #8
kvaughn
AF Newbie

Does anyone know how we can detect sludge without tearing into the engine? What physicial changes might be made to our vehicle to minimize this problem (vents, etc.).
kvaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:03 PM   #9
Charwatkin
AF Newbie

Well, well, well......... here I am...... and the problem is NOT limited to the older vehicles. I own a 2004 Sebring with a 2.7L and one week ago last night had my engine light pop on.

I had been noticing that my engine would stall.... especially after being on the expressway for a while. I had about 34,676 miles when it happened. Mostly highway b/c we live right off the highway in a small town..... right between each of our work, stores, etc. Not much city driving.

Had an exhaust problem, so took it right in & suggested they changed my oil while they had it. They fixed the exhaust.... had to keep it for a few days for parts to come in, changed the oil ....... and guess what???? I was informed I had a "sludge problem" HUH????

SOUND FAMILIAR???? Picked it up yesterday & started doing research on the Internet....... What the heck??? How can they get away with this? We've been frantically printing all our info to take into the Dealership tomorrow. Are they CRAZY or What
Charwatkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:11 PM   #10
Charwatkin
AF Newbie

I found a site that says to take a sample of your oil & send it to a lab such aswww.blackstone-labs.com where they can test it for coolant & water comtamination, excess fuel vapors which can cause sludge. I've also seen that it's a defect in the way the engine is made - narrow passages that cause the engine to over heat. This may help prove that there is an internal problem & not from your neglect.
Charwatkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:43 AM   #11
prickey2000
AF Newbie

Yes, I have experienced the timing chain problem. I have a 2004 Chrysler Sebring. Last year, our oil light started flickering so we took the car to our mechanic. He told us about the problems with the 2.7 liter engine and told us we needed to replace the oil pump. Since Chrysler saw fit to place the oil pump inside the engine, this was expensive. We also had the water pump replaced at the same time.
A couple of months after spending about $1000 to keep from having our engine blow, I was driving down the interstate and my car just stopped running. Turns out the timing chain broke causing my engine to blow. Apparently Chrysler made the timing chain about 20 times longer on this make of engine than a regular timing chain, which makes it prone to break. Our mechanic told me that Dodge/Chrysler is now telling mechanics to replace the timing chain at the same time they replace the oil pump—too late for when we had our pump replaced. My engine is now shot and has been sitting in our mechanic’s lot while we look for a new engine.
The worst part is that we also have another Sebring which is also sitting in our mechanic’s lot for the same problems, this time starting with the water pump. Repairs will probably run about $1500 on that car so we now have, not one, but two very expensive lawn ornaments, as someone else put it. We have always maintained the cars with oil changes every 3-4k miles. We still owe on his car and cannot afford another car right now. Fortunately, we still have a Chrysler Towne & Country that runs (for how long, I wonder? It is starting to have electrical problems), but we have 3 drivers in the family who need vehicles.
I know there are class action suits against Chrysler for not recalling this model engine, but I haven’t been able to find out how to join one. Anyone know?
prickey2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #12
tiltaplenty
AF Newbie

Wink Re: Chrysler 2.7L Engine Problems

hi, I have owned 3 seabrings and loved the 1st 2. I now have a 2004 with the 2.7 and changed the oild regularly. 84,000 miles drove it to work and every thing was dandy. Came out to leave and it rolled over about two times and died. Mechanic says the motor is seized up, no warning light, not a temp warning when I was driving to work. Has anyone been helped out by chysler for their engine repair? Or they just giving it to the small guy? I know there is a class action lawsuit, anyway to join in? Would love to have some info back. email if you want @
tiltaplenty@frontier.com
tiltaplenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:00 PM   #13
Abouttowne
AF Newbie

Just bought one 1.5 months ago. Only drove 922 miles and engine seized on hwy. Dealer said when bought that was just low on oil and they added. They lied to us, now have 5 years to pay on dead vehicle. Car rated 4.5 out of 5? No mention about engine problems. Engine design issues through 2004. Dealer will not return calls.
Abouttowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #14
mark44004
AF Newbie

I just bought a 2006 sebring limited with the 2.7. I see most the problems in this thread deal with cars up to 2004. Anything problematic with the 2006's or newer?
mark44004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:19 AM   #15
James45
AF Newbie

I have an '04 Sebring convertible with the 2.7 liter. It has 115K miles now and I've never had any challenges with the engine at all.
James45 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Sebring | Sebring Coupe | Convertible