Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 04:52 PM   #1
MarkBean
AF Newbie

Rejuvenating a car’s exterior?

Please forgive me for cross-posting, but I believe this may be a more appropriate forum.

My daily driver is a 1999 Acura CL 2.3. It has 109K miles and runs very well. (Engine has only 55K—long story) I am still happy with this car and I see no reason to get rid of it, especially considering I also have a weekend/fair-weather car. The only problem with the Acura is that the car’s exterior is looking quite aged. There are a number of small dings/dents and the black paint job has a few minor chips and scratches. What are my options for rejuvenating the car’s exterior? Since the Acura is just my daily driver and it does not have a space in my garage, I’m not planning to spend a lot of money nor am I expecting to have something that will look showroom perfect. What I don’t want is a paint job that will soon look worse than the aged factory paint job that I currently have.

My weekend/fair-weather car is a 2002 BMW 325ci. It has only 33K miles and is in near-perfect condition. There is only one minor ding but there are a few small chips in the paint. I imagine that touch-up paint will be able to fill in these chips. Is there a special technique for applying touch-up paint? Is it something I should do myself or should I take the car to a professional?

Thank you for your help!
--MB
MarkBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:38 PM   #2
gw84
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to gw84
Re: Rejuvenating a car’s exterior?

I asked a similar question and got this...
Expresspaint.com for the paint, it gives good directions & is fairly reasonable.
Also, try this wax:
it runs about $13 a bottle, but it really brings out a shine! It works especially good on dark colors. Should do great on your black car! Look at my photos, it's shining like a diamond!

This ain't your grandma's car!!
gw84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:57 AM   #3
Jim D.
AF Newbie

Re: Rejuvenating a car’s exterior?

MarkBean,

With your factory-matched touch-up paint (usually available at the dealer or auto parts store), you can use a product called Langka (www.langka.com) to help smoothen the "blob." Using it is a bit of an art form, but the results are quite nice. If you Google around, it's discussed quite a bit on other forums.

Prior to that, I'd probably clay the surface to remove embedded contaminants. After just washing your vehicle, run your fingers lightly across the surface -- if you feel little bumps, you really need to clay. Under normal circumstances, claying should be done once or twice a year (if not more). Mothers and other major makers sell a good consumer clay bar. In the Mothers Clay Bar Paint Saving System (a kit) you get a clay bar (enough to clay two or three cars), lubricant, and you also get a sample size of their Carnauba Cleaner Wax which has some pretty aggressive polishes as cleaner waxes go. Give that a try.

That particular Zymol, I understand, has fairly mild polishes and probably won't "restore" the finish to your liking.
Jim D. is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General