Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 09:30 PM   #1
speedindevil
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to speedindevil Send a message via Yahoo to speedindevil
350 heads on a 305??? info??

ok, I have an 86 z28 with the 305 in it, quadrajet, stock I think ( I just bought it) My buddy was telling me that I can get more power blah blah by swapping a set of 350 heads onto my 305? correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the combustion chambers larger=lower compression?? Maybe the valves would be a little bigger, but wouldn't the lower compression ratio just screw that all up?? this is all assuming 87 or under 350 heads. I know the heads would fit, but would it do any good?
Oh something else, I have a torker II intake from a 305 laying in my garage that I was going to use, will this still fit on the 350 heads if they will help?
ok, one last thing; I have a useable holley 650 that really should be rebuilt before use, but will my rochester fit on the torker intake, it has two sets of stud holes. Just in case anyone knows off the top of their heads
thanks for your wealth of knowledge
Old 11-19-2007, 09:50 AM   #2
bigblock665
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to bigblock665
Re: 350 heads on a 305??? info??

Your correct.... Had this same prob with my 79 camaro... When you push the gas the car seems to "fall on its face".... Too low compresson!
bigblock665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:30 PM   #3
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Re: 350 heads on a 305??? info??

Your surmise is correct. 350 heads (the vast majority) have larger chambers. However, in the last few years, we (engine builders) have been "challenged" to build lower compression engines that still make power. We have learned, "flow trumps compression".

That is, within reason, a lower compression engine with VERY good heads, will make more power than unported heads with higher compression. All things being equal, the higher compression heads will make more, PROVIDED the minimum octane requirement is met.

All that being said, IF the 350 heads have 64 or 68 CC chambers, they MAY make more power than the 305 heads at 56 CCs. Ported, absolutely!

T-2 fits all SBC heads, '86-older (unless equiiped with "center bolt" valve covers). T-2 is a good intake from 3,000 to 7,000. If your Q-Jet is NOT a "feedback" unit" (has a wire to the top/front, with a computer type connecter), it will work fine as long as it's in good condition. A feedback carb is more difficult to "get right".

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical