Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 05:32 PM   #1
drmrjohn
AF Newbie

1993 transport flooding??

We had vacation and on way home the van started loosing power and using a ton of gas-looked under hood and found the base gasket on egr valve had somehow let go and there was soot around the base-i had to drive home like it was and when i got home it looks like the egr valve had some melting around the base-i bypassed it by putting a metal plate under it and plugging off the 2 holes, however, the van is still flooding badly-it does seem to clear up when running it gently, however, when i go to give it a lot of gas it floodes and starts burning black-any ideas?? 1993 with 3.8 ltr
drmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:47 PM   #2
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1993 transport flooding??

DO you have the Check Engine Light ON? I would suspect the O2 sensor has gone haywire badly as the amount of fuel is controlled based on this reading...or you have a fuel injector blocked open....mechanically or a short keeps it active...
If CEL is on, read the codes:
www.avigex.ca/xport/readingcodes.jpg
www.avigex.ca/xport/3800codes.jpg
FUel pressure is variable (regulator is vacuum controlled) and pressure increases as throttle is depressed....

...mm...what was the outcome with the electrical problem you had last March...?
Old 08-03-2007, 10:08 AM   #3
drmrjohn
AF Newbie

Hi, The engine light is on all the time but I didn't plug the EGR valve electrical plug back onto the EGR as I though there may be a short in there because the valve is melted around the base(I also bypassed EGR with metal plate)-is that ok or should I put the wire plug back onto the dead EGR or do I just leave it off? I cleaned those two little wires in the MAF sensor with Contact Cleaner-i also disconnected the battery for a few minutes to clear the computer. Then I started the van and it ran great around town but when I go to run above 60-70klms or if I floor it -it will start flooding again until I back off a bit and then it runs great under normal city driving-will the computer relearn highway driving or do I still have problems??
PS: The past Elecrical problem turned out to be a bad coil pak and computer undernieth-bought the whole pack at u-pick auto wrecker with 3 coils and computer for 20 bux-Also Thank you for your help with this!!!!
Old 08-06-2007, 10:21 AM   #4
LMP
AF Enthusiast

If actual flooding does occur, I can't see any more hints than above to help, and reading the codes, if they have come back, might procure some clue: of course those codes for the EGR will be there, but some others can show too.
If you have plugged the EGR valve, exhaust returns are ruled out...and in addition, this would usually impair starting and idle.
Any possibility that what looks like flooding is something else? Poor spark plugs and spark plug wires do cause very weird behaviour...as mine did a few mnths ago and I was just astonished that new spark plug wires cleared all of that mess....If spark plug wires are the original as mine were (and still looked so fine), it would be normal maintenance to change them...and by the way, I did not try to run the new front wires through their original routing: I just went around the dogbone....
Old 08-07-2007, 09:50 AM   #5
drmrjohn
AF Newbie

Hi, Thanks for the info-i will try plugs and wires--i checked codes and it is only giving a code 56? Could that be due to the burnt out EGR ? I can start it ok although it is rich when first starting-then evens out and runs fine(when egr is plugged in-when i unplug it the van runs terrible and wants to stall right away)-runs exellent in city no matter how hard I push-but when I go to highway at about 80-90klms it floods again-maybe its wires but that code 56 is bugging me-any ideas?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport