Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 11:48 AM   #1
oops-sorry
AF Newbie

1993 transport fuel pump-no power

i'm stumped. my van was driving perfect and i went to pull into my work and it just died. i listened for the fuel pump and i heard nothing. i checked the relay for the fuel pump and it was dead. no power going to it at all. i applied power to the relay and it would start but the wires began to get hot. so i went to the wiring plug under the drivers seat on the underside of the van and cut the gray wire and ran power to it, ( i was thinking there was a short) and the van still will not start. at the very beginning of this problem, when it died, i changed the fuel pump, before i found out it wasnt getting power, and the fuel pump i got is the kind that is EXTREMELY quiet when it is running. so it is going to be harder for me to hear if it is running. could this be the ecm/pcm? excuse my ignorance on this, but i normally only have fords and im not very familiar with g.m. the van has a 3.8 engine if this helps. thanx for any input
oops-sorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:40 AM   #2
paul.v

Re: 1993 transport fuel pump-no power

Close to your relay(s) there is a 20 A fuel pump fuse...have you seen/checked it?
Paul
Old 04-13-2006, 03:24 PM   #3
oops-sorry
AF Newbie

no i didnt see it. i didnt think that the 3.8 had a fuse. that would be so nice if that was the problem
Old 04-14-2006, 07:50 PM   #4
oops-sorry
AF Newbie

ive checked again and i still didnt see a fuse
Old 04-17-2006, 12:37 PM   #5
paul.v

Its there...behind the passenger headlight inside small rubber boot...remove cap to expose the fuse--yellow 20A...
pink/black wire...same as injectors.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:49 PM   #6
oops-sorry
AF Newbie

thanx paul. problem found.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:27 AM   #7
LMP
AF Enthusiast

"oops-soorry said:
paul v. was correct when he said to check the fuse behind the headlight. (i didnt even know it was there). i changed the fuse and tried again, and i blew it again. if i turn the key on the fuse is o.k., but as soon as i start to crank the engine it blows. i have traced down both wires from the fuse and i could not find it shorting out on anything. would the ecm/pcm cause this? if not, does anybody have any ideas what i can do to either fix or get around this problem? thanx"

...at first sight, the most likely component able to blow the fuel pump fuse (inj fuse) is...the fuel pump but this fuse also feeds the injectors and the ignition module - in fact the three coils; the ignition circuit turns on just when you start cranking....
www.avigex.ca/xport/ignition3800.jpg
www.avigex.ca/xport/fuelinject.jpg
www.avigex.ca/xport/fuelinjectors.jpg
www.avigex.ca/xport/fuelpumpfuse.jpg
QUestion is: does the fuse blow because at "key on" fuel pump turns on for only a second..maybe not enough to kill the fuse...but once the engine cranks, the pump turns ON full time....and the coils start firing... (does it fire up for a little while before blowing the fuse?) . I think GM should have installed a separate fuse for pump and coils: this would help pinpoint the problem...I think I would separate those feeds with separate fuses if I was caught with same problem so I"d know which component is the culprit...

Last edited by LMP; 04-23-2006 at 08:55 AM.
LMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:00 PM   #8
oops-sorry
AF Newbie

thank you LMP, that is an excellent idea about running separate fuses for each of the components. the van does not fire up at all before blowing the fuse.

so is this correct? i need one for the fuel injectors, one for the oil pressure sender, one for the fuel pump, and one for the ignition module? ill let you know in a day or two what i found out
Old 04-23-2006, 06:07 PM   #9
maxwedge
A990 racer

May not bve related but I recently fixed a transport 3.1 that had a pinched wire coming off the oil sending switch that blew the fuel pump fuse.
maxwedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:08 PM   #10
maxwedge
A990 racer

May not be related but I recently fixed a transport 3.1 that had a pinched wire coming off the oil sending switch that blew the fuel pump fuse.
maxwedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:25 PM   #11
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oops-sorry
so is this correct? i need one for the fuel injectors, one for the oil pressure sender, one for the fuel pump, and one for the ignition module?
I did not check exactly how and where the split is carried on. THe fuel pump is fed together by the relay (key on) and the switch in the oil sender once the engine runs..so this is one feed in fact..
TO simplify things, I would just try to separate the feed for the ignition module
Old 04-25-2006, 03:23 PM   #12
oops-sorry
AF Newbie

i got my van fixed today. the people on this forum are great. ended up being oil sending switch. the gauge didnt work anyways, (always maxxed out, now reads 0), so i just left it unhooked.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport