Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Let's get Technical!
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Let's get Technical! Discussion for hardcore in-depth motor heads!
View Poll Results: How many racing seats in a 97 civic show car
Front 2 seats 0 0%
Front and Rear seats, 4 total 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 05:34 PM   #1
Xclusive
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Xclusive
help with racing harness

ok, I want to install a 4 point harness. I know in a real race car, the 2 shoulder straps attach to the roll bar behind the seat, since I do not have the roll cage, do the straps just bolt to the floor?

Thanks,
Kyle

Last edited by Xclusive; 05-19-2004 at 05:07 PM.
Xclusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 12:52 AM   #2
jcrx
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jcrx
Re: help with racing harness

Depends on the ones you have. Some bolt to the rear seatbealt postion under the seat, or to the rear seatbelt mount on the C pillar. I wouldn't bother getting harness, they are a pain in the ass, especially if you have rear passengers, and because they suck for mobility.

Some will also argue that without a rollcage, you are endangering yourself, since ina roll over you will be in one position, and suseptible(sp) to being crushed, since they won't allow movement to the side if the roof caves in.

Others will say that you at least need a harness bar, so that in a wreck you don't have you spine compressed, but this can only happen if your seat fails first.

I personally think they are fine until you actualy get in a highspeed, high impact rollover with no rollcage, because in reality this doesn't happen very often.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:07 PM   #3
TheSilentChamber
Forunn Daberator

Highspeed, high impact rollover in a honda your not real likely to survive anyway. I'v seen some people attach them to there headrest bars, I wouldnt exactly call that safe, but hey its not my body i'm keeping from going through the windshield. If you dont care about rear passengers... or if there really short... I would weld a bar across between the pillars and attach them to that. But then again while I was at it i would go ahead and add a roll cage.
TheSilentChamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 08:31 PM   #4
1gspot
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 1gspot

What astonished me that no one has done is to put a buckle in the back strap of the harness. Allow me to explain, lets say you have a 3 point harness. My idea was to add a buckle, like in the rear seat of most cars, build that into the strap. That way if you needed to let someone get into the back you can unclick your harness at the mounting point(like a seatbelt bolt in the back), let them get in and have them reclick it in. Simple concept, difficult execution. If im not mistaken if you were to make this yourself by cutting the strap and sewing in the buckle, the harnesses would no longer be DOT approved because how can they tell if you are a good sewer or not, and if your not, a meeting between your head and the windshield may be in your future. not to mention you could get a ticket if a cop checked it out.
1gspot is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Let's get Technical!