Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
bowtieboy12
AF Newbie

'03 Z71- instrument cluster dead

I have a 2003 Silverado Z71 with 5.3L auto. The other day I started the truck and everything on the instrument panel was dead; speedometer, tach, fuel, temp, etc. Even the odometer and 'PND321' display was dead. The only thing lit up is the 'Service Engine' light (it is backlit when headlights are on). When scanning for codes it came back with P0650, Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL). I've looked on the internet for help and so far have not had any luck. I pulled the instrument panel off and checked the wiring harness, it seemed fine. I checked every fuse in the truck, all ok. The wiring that I can see is fine. The truck did this one other time to me, but a hard knock to the dash fixed it immediately, that was months ago. Now, no smacking it around will cure it. I don't think that it would be the individual gauges because they all went out at once. They were not acting erratic before going out either. I'm not sure if it would have anything to do with the issue, but I do think that the battery is on its way out, I was planning on replacing it before the snow flies. Right before this happened I was jump starting my four wheeler from the truck. Don't think it has anything to do with it but that is what was happening before it went out. If someone can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks guys.

~Patrick
bowtieboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: '03 Z71- instrument cluster dead

If you jump start vehicles with the truck running or the ignition on this failure can occur. you may need a PCM or a new IP.

the IP has circuits that feed power to the IP devices. "could" also be circuit in the PCM. the p0650 is saying the voltage is not in the IP. no MIL will work.

Last edited by j cAT; 09-13-2012 at 07:04 AM. Reason: add quote marks "
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
carrfixr
AF Newbie

There was problems with the clusters and they extended the ip warranty to 7/70. I just fixed one that was over the 7 years so the customer had to pay. The dealer will sell you a reman ip for about 250.00. They can preprogram the mileage and engine hours when you order it. A core return of your old one is necessary or it's a 1200 fee..
its not a pcm as mentioned

code 650 is related to the faulty ip

www.mitchsautoservice.com
carrfixr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrfixr View Post
There was problems with the clusters and they extended the ip warranty to 7/70. I just fixed one that was over the 7 years so the customer had to pay. The dealer will sell you a reman ip for about 250.00. They can preprogram the mileage and engine hours when you order it. A core return of your old one is necessary or it's a 1200 fee..
its not a pcm as mentioned

code 650 is related to the faulty ip
when this issue comes into the GM dealership they do not JUST replace the IP.

using a diagnostic tool the check for the proper signals to/from the IP.

the TSB on the 2003-04 models states stepper motor failures.

what "could" be defective here is the IP logic module.

since its over 7yrs old he will not get any cost help from GM.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
bowtieboy12
AF Newbie

Thanks for the help so far, but, the IP is still dead. Now, when it is in gear and moving it dings. (The normal dinging alarm like if you open the door while moving, etc.) It dings the whole time until it is stopped and put back in park. No codes were thrown for this. Does anyone know if the P0650 code that it shows is definitely the IP or can it just be one of any number of malfunctions and it causes the IP to stop??? I read somewhere that soldering a few certain points on the circuit board could fix it??? I'm at a loss here and was hoping to get it done myself rather than take it somewhere and pay big bucks. I have no problem buying a new/refurb IP but I want to know that the IP is def the problem before I purchase it. One other idea I had (maybe), I have an '04 Blazer, not sure if the IP plugs are the same but if they are I thought about plugging it in to see if it would work in the truck (just to see if it is the IP or not)??? Any other suggestions? Thanks guys.

~Patrick
Old 09-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
carrfixr
AF Newbie

You need to pull the ip and make sure you have the powers and grounds at the connector. If all is good the ip is bad and if you need a diagram let me know. Also you may find if you unplug it and plug it back in it may work briefly

www.mitchsautoservice.com
carrfixr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carrfixr For This Useful Post:
Ol'Jim (10-28-2020)
Old 09-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieboy12 View Post
Thanks for the help so far, but, the IP is still dead. Now, when it is in gear and moving it dings. (The normal dinging alarm like if you open the door while moving, etc.) It dings the whole time until it is stopped and put back in park. No codes were thrown for this. Does anyone know if the P0650 code that it shows is definitely the IP or can it just be one of any number of malfunctions and it causes the IP to stop??? I read somewhere that soldering a few certain points on the circuit board could fix it??? I'm at a loss here and was hoping to get it done myself rather than take it somewhere and pay big bucks. I have no problem buying a new/refurb IP but I want to know that the IP is def the problem before I purchase it. One other idea I had (maybe), I have an '04 Blazer, not sure if the IP plugs are the same but if they are I thought about plugging it in to see if it would work in the truck (just to see if it is the IP or not)??? Any other suggestions? Thanks guys.

~Patrick
the problem may very well be poor soldering of the board . this vehicle had/has issues with this panel. it would not surprise me if the dash panel was repaired in the past and they stressed out the board/connector solder joints.

If your up to it remove dash and using a very low wattage iron with small dia. solder go over these joints. could be a small crack. use a ohm meter to trace runs from connector pin on dash panel to see if you can locate the open.

the BCM has the noise maker. the 650 code is saying the PCM computer is aware that the dash panel has no power.

with no power the stepper motors even if defective you will never know with no voltage to them.

GET MAGNIFIER TO INSPECT/WORK THIS PANEL.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #8
bowtieboy12
AF Newbie

I've unplugged it an plugged it back in many times, still dead. I've checked for voltage in the plug. Some have 12v, some less, some none. I'm not sure what pin should have what tho. A wiring Diagram would be great! I'd appreciate that.

I've visually inspected the board, all soldering appears ok, but it is small and hard to see. The only thing I see is a small light at the very left bottom, one of the wires has come undone from the soldering. I touched it back together while plugged in and nothing happened, I'll solder it back just to be sure. Don't know if this matters at all??? I'll attempt to check continuity between pins and their destination, but it's awful small to look at.

~Patrick
Old 09-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieboy12 View Post
I've unplugged it an plugged it back in many times, still dead. I've checked for voltage in the plug. Some have 12v, some less, some none. I'm not sure what pin should have what tho. A wiring Diagram would be great! I'd appreciate that.

I've visually inspected the board, all soldering appears ok, but it is small and hard to see. The only thing I see is a small light at the very left bottom, one of the wires has come undone from the soldering. I touched it back together while plugged in and nothing happened, I'll solder it back just to be sure. Don't know if this matters at all??? I'll attempt to check continuity between pins and their destination, but it's awful small to look at.

~Patrick

like I stated before get a magnifier . cost 4.oo.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
bowtieboy12
AF Newbie

So after the initial post the cluster came back on and worked for awhile. it would go out from time to time and all i had to do was unplug it and plug it back in and it would work. but now it is completely dead. no amount of unpluggin and re-plugging, wiggling, etc. wil get it to come back on. i suspect soldering issue somewhere because when it would come back all the stepper motors came back and worked fine. the lcd display is also dead, however i do get the 'ses' light and the backlighting works. the only repair items i can find online only address replacing the stepper motors, but i don't think that's the issue. anyone know of a miracle cure-all? lol
Old 07-01-2019, 08:33 AM   #11
Pegs
AF Newbie

Smile Re: '03 Z71- instrument cluster dead

Are you still having trouble with your instrument cluster???
Pegs is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado