Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > GTO > Classic GTO's (1964-1974)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
BurtZ
AF Newbie

1966 GTO 3 Speed Manual

I am buying a 66 GTO with a 3 speed on the floor. I know this is fairly rare - does anyone know exactly how rare?

Thanx
BurtZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Re: 1966 GTO 3 Speed Manual

Burt,

The "Dearborn" 3-speed manual is the "base" transmission for a '66 GTO. That is, it would be there if no "option" was chosen. This is a Ford-made trans as there were simply too many warranty problems with the Saginaw, which was used '64 and '65.

It's kinda rare, but not necessarily in a "good" way. Nobody wants them, and the value of the car is not necessarily increased by it's presence, though "original". A Muncie 4-speed would "up" the value.

FWIW

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
BurtZ
AF Newbie

This car has only 3 options - 7 blade declutching fan, AM pushbutton radio and the floor shifter as opposed to the standard "3 on the tree". It has been in a barn since 1978 and has 31,900 miles. No power steering or brakes or any of the 2 pages of options available in 66.
I love it.
BurtZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:03 AM   #4
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

A rare "find" indeed! If it's in good condition (as the low miles may indicate), I would just "purdy-ize" it and show it off! If it has rust and is in need of interior and other body work, I would go ahead and "build it like you like it". Collector value of a low-option car is minimal, even if "rare". The amount you spend to make it "right" needs to be considered.

FWIW

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > GTO > Classic GTO's (1964-1974)