Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 07:42 PM   #1
jwichman
AF Newbie

2008 impala LT 3.9L engine

I have a transmission cooling line leak at the metal to hose crimp fitting. It is the hose that connects to the upper radiator location. Planning to replace the hose & wondering how big of a job it is & if there are any surprises to expect. I’m familiar with the quick disconnect fittings & tool used to disconnect the hoses from the trans & radiator. Not sure how much fluid I should expect to loose or if I should replace both hoses while I’m at it (125000 miles) or should I replace the fittings as well. Any advice would be appreciated.
jwichman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:13 PM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: 2008 impala LT 3.9L engine

transmission / oil cooler lines not going to loose any fluid when replacing.
GM steel to aluminum connectors are leaking all the time. I have a 1996 Impala .. my oil cooler lines do leak many years ago. I put strong clamps over the soft aluminum connector and the leak does not drip.. replacing these hoses/lines will be a hard job because of the removal. also the new replacements will leak soon.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:10 PM   #3
jwichman
AF Newbie

It was a pretty easy fix, $25 for a new hose and about 2hrs of my time. Found that the special tool for disconnecting the hose from the radiator and transmission really didn’t work very well; I ended up using a dental pick to remove the retainer. The rest of the job was pretty straight forward. New NAPA hose came with lifetime warranty, hopefully it will last another 100K miles
jwichman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:32 PM   #4
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwichman View Post
It was a pretty easy fix, $25 for a new hose and about 2hrs of my time. Found that the special tool for disconnecting the hose from the radiator and transmission really didn’t work very well; I ended up using a dental pick to remove the retainer. The rest of the job was pretty straight forward. New NAPA hose came with lifetime warranty, hopefully it will last another 100K miles
good work you did .. leak checks often on these lines .. I check for leaks every week..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS