Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 06:30 PM   #16
KManiac
AF Enthusiast

Re: New here, have some dumb questions...

Here are a few more lessons in lingo.

Most car companies with multiple makes of cars, usually use a common platform for each size of car. At Chrysler, they used a common platform for the Plymouth Valiant and the Dodge Dart, a common platform for the Plymouth Belvidere/Satellite and the Dodge Coronet/Charger, a common platform for the Plymouth Fury, Dodge Polara/Monaco and Chrysler Newport/300/New Yorker, and a common platform for the Plymouth Baracuda and Dodge Challenger from 1970 through 1974. They differentiate between the body platforms by assigning a different letter to each. For years, the platform identification was an "in-house" thing, not generally publicized. This changed about 1980 when General Motors marketed the platform line of "X" cars (Chevrolet Citation, etc.). A year later, Chrysler marketed their platform line of "K" cars (Plymouth Reliant/Dodge Aires).

In the 1960's, Chrysler refered to the compact platform as the "A-body". They refered to the mid-size platform as the "B-body". They refered to the full-size platform as the "C-body". I think the 1970-74 Baracuda/Challenger platform was refered to as either the "E-body" or "F-body". Unfortunately, I'm not sure which it is and unable to research this at this moment. I am sure someone will correct me in due time. The Dodge Charger you just bought is a "B-body" car.

I hope this answers our questions about car bodies.

1962 Chrysler 300 2-door hardtop/1964 Chrysler 300-K convertible/1964 Chrysler Newport 4-door sedan/1964 Chrysler 300-K hardtop with Firepower 390/2x1964 Chrysler 300-K hardtop/1964 Chrysler 300 convertible/1964 Chrysler "Silver 300-K" with factory 4-speed/1964 Chrysler New Yorker Salon/1980 Dodge D-50 Sport/1986 Lincoln Continental/1989 Honda Accord DX/1989 Lincoln Mark VII BB/1991 Dodge Shadow ES convertible
KManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:39 PM   #17
BleedDodge
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to BleedDodge

Barracudas and Challengers are E-bodies.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:18 AM   #18
Rack
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KManiac
The Dodge Charger you just bought is a "B-body" car.

I hope this answers our questions about car bodies.
Yes I understand it a lot better now.

Thank you
Rack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 05:18 PM   #19
PeteRR
AF Regular

Quote:

In 1969, they continued with the base Charger and Charger R/T. Then during mid-year, they introduced a model called the Charger 500. This was a limited production car, built solely to qualify the body for use in NASCAR. The unique features of this car were the streamline, NASCAR back window and the flush mounted grill with fixed, exposed headlights. The grill on this car resembled the one used on the 1968 Dodge Coronet. I believe the engine choices for the 500 were the same as the R/T. This year, Dodge introduced the luxury trim package called "Special Edition". This consisted of wood grain dashboard trim and leather seats. The "Special Edition" package became known as SE for short.

In 1970, they continued with the base Charger and Charger R/T. The Charger 500 name continued as a premium model of the base Charger line. The special NASCAR offering this year was the Charger Daytona. This car had the NASCAR back window, tall rear spoiler and beaked nose. They continued with the "Special Edition" trim package for this year.
Just a correction:

The Charger Daytona was a '69 model year. The '70 Charger 500 was a trim only option. It didn't have the aero modifications like the '69 Charger 500. The Mopar wingcar for 1970 was the Plymouth Superbird. Otherwise, good info.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner
451 Stroker + Keisler 5-Speed OD manual trans
PeteRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 06:40 PM   #20
KManiac
AF Enthusiast

My mistake! I forgot to add the 1969 Charger Daytona to my discussion. I remembered it after I submitted. But on the other hand, I thought they made the Charger Daytona in 1970 along with the Superbird. I guess I'm not to old to learn something new.

Thank you, too, for the clarification on the 1970 Charger 500. I knew the differences between the 1969 and 1970 Charger 500's because my brother once owned a 1970 Charger 500. I guess calling it a "premium model of the base Charger line" may not have been clear enough to all.

1962 Chrysler 300 2-door hardtop/1964 Chrysler 300-K convertible/1964 Chrysler Newport 4-door sedan/1964 Chrysler 300-K hardtop with Firepower 390/2x1964 Chrysler 300-K hardtop/1964 Chrysler 300 convertible/1964 Chrysler "Silver 300-K" with factory 4-speed/1964 Chrysler New Yorker Salon/1980 Dodge D-50 Sport/1986 Lincoln Continental/1989 Honda Accord DX/1989 Lincoln Mark VII BB/1991 Dodge Shadow ES convertible
KManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 06:45 PM   #21
PeteRR
AF Regular

Quote:
My mistake! I forgot to add the 1969 Charger Daytona to my discussion. I remembered it after I submitted. But on the other hand, I thought they made the Charger Daytona in 1970 along with the Superbird. I guess I'm not to old to learn something new.
The Dodge teams just kept using the '69s all through the '70 season.

Old 05-20-2006, 02:55 PM   #22
Rack
AF Newbie

Does anyone know where I can buy a new 440 magnum crate engine? I've found lots of sites that sell HEMI crate engines, but none that sell the 440.

http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/blocks.html

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/gofast/mopar.html

http://www.jimsautoparts.com/mopar_p...ce_engines.htm

There's a few sites I've found, none of them sell the 440.

Thank you
Old 05-20-2006, 03:33 PM   #23
PeteRR
AF Regular

Call either
http://www.manciniracing.com/
or
http://www.summitracing.com/
or use one of the bigger discount Dodge dealerships.
If you value your sanity, avoid Jim's like the plague.

Old 05-21-2006, 12:40 AM   #24
Rack
AF Newbie

Thanks, Pete. Those sites will be very helpful.

I have a new dumb question...

What is a rockerpanel? I've been doing a lot of reading about car restorations (specifically the 68 charger) and have come across that word several times but haven't exactly figured out what it is?

Also, here's a site of some guy that restored a 68 charger. TONS of pictures starting from when he first got the car till now. Don't know when he last updated but the car is almost done and it's an amazing transformation.

http://www.usaci.de/

Click the "Body" link. You have to scroll all the way down to see the beginning and work your way up. 56K beware. There's over 300 pics on the "Body" page.

Edit: One more dumb question (for now)...

How much cutting and welding do you think I will need to do to the car? How difficult is the cutting part for a novice? I know some people that could probably do the welding for me and I wouldn't want to try that anyway (not unless I have plenty of scrap metal to practice on for a few weeks first).

Last edited by Rack; 05-21-2006 at 03:08 AM.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:07 AM   #25
PeteRR
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack
What is a rockerpanel?
It's the long piece of sheetmetal that runs underneath the doors between the front and rear tires.

Quote:
How much cutting and welding do you think I will need to do to the car? How difficult is the cutting part for a novice? I know some people that could probably do the welding for me and I wouldn't want to try that anyway (not unless I have plenty of scrap metal to practice on for a few weeks first).
Let me ask you a question: Have you seen the car in person? Mopars are notorious for rusting and I'd be very hesitant about buying one without inspecting it first.

Here are the problem areas:
-the inner fenders
-the front framerails
-the torsion bar crossmember
-the passenger side floorboard
-the trunk
-the rear framerails
-the rear tail panel
-the area between the rear glass and trunk lid

It could be primered to hide a mulititude of sheetmetal sins. How far is the car from you? I would definitely have it inspected before I'd complete the purchase. If you have it inspected and it turns out it's rust bucket, you would be saving yourself a lot of money by passing on it. I ended up spending $10k in bodywork on my Road Runner, money I could have saved by waiting for a car in better condition.

To answer your question about cutting and welding: I don't know how much of either will be involved on that particular Charger as I haven't seen it in person. However, doing body work, and making it look right, isn't something I'd jump right into. Especially if it's on a car that I layed seriously money down to buy.

Finally replacing the motor with a new crate 440 is the most expensive route you can go. Depending on where you are, there will be more than a few engine shops that can do a rebuild or increase the hp of your stock motor for a lot less than the cost of a crate.

If you want to send me a PM, I'd be more than willing to continue helping you. I could also give you my cell # if you want to talk 1st hand.

Old 05-22-2006, 03:39 AM   #26
Rack
AF Newbie

Thanks, Peter. I plan on doing as much body work as I can possibly do, but only stuff I know I can do well... you know, the easy stuff like sanding. Anything I'm not sure about I'll get help for it or I'll pay to get it done.

I have a new question... this one might even stump you guys.

Where's the door handles? It's obviously a custom job, but how does he open his doors? Did he install power locks and something that opens the door when he disarms it? I love the way it looks, but if the only way to open the door is to reach inside then a car like that wouldn't last long in my town.

Old 05-22-2006, 07:40 AM   #27
PeteRR
AF Regular

Quote:

I have a new question... this one might even stump you guys.

Where's the door handles?
Hot Rod guys use a thing called a "popper". It uses a remote trigger a solenoid that pops the door open. The only problem with them is cars with no door handles won't pass tech at race tracks. There's no way for emergency personal to get the doors open.

Old 05-22-2006, 08:55 AM   #28
Rack
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteRR
Hot Rod guys use a thing called a "popper". It uses a remote trigger a solenoid that pops the door open. The only problem with them is cars with no door handles won't pass tech at race tracks. There's no way for emergency personal to get the doors open.

Yeah I finally figured that out after some research. IMO the car looks a lot better that way. They aren't too expensive either. Not much more then an alarm system, and some poppers come as part of an alarm system.

It's a long ways away from when it gets done but I'm gettin' one.

I also like how that car has no chrome trim on it. I really don't chrome from anything other then the wheels (and even then I prefer the less shiny kind). Takes a bit more work filling in the cracks/holes but it looks nice.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:06 PM   #29
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Quote:
I also like how that car has no chrome trim on it. I really don't chrome from anything other then the wheels (and even then I prefer the less shiny kind). Takes a bit more work filling in the cracks/holes but it looks nice.
I like that look too. The chrome and stainless trim is okay around windows, but most older cars look better without the name plates, side spears and especially those dopey dealership plates that always were put on the back of many American cars.

Come on, why would I want to advertise the dealership that I got the car from?
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 03:15 AM   #30
Rack
AF Newbie

Finally got ahold of the shipping company (by the way, if you ever need a vehicle shipped don't use DAS - Dependable Auto Shippers. They have horrible customer service) and I should be getting the car in a week.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of modern modifications I can do to the car? Such as to the suspension, steering, console... anything. This will be a car I actually use so I want it to drive as well as it possibly can.

Thank you

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical