Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 09:07 AM   #31
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Re: why is my car so fast?

oliver,
I think whoever it was tuning that monster BB that couldn't go 7s in a dragster, should have his tools taken away from him.
Maybe the guy that decided it needed that many cubes, too. 500 CID big block Chevys and MOPARs easily power long cars into the 6s. Throw a little nitro (NOT nitrous) in there and pick another 1/2 second. Should we talk about Hemis?
It's all relative. We've built Supra and VR4 engines that take the cars into the 9s, but the chassis work and trans/gearing are a nightmare. Most of the quicker NOPI guys run RWD and TH400 transmissions for a reason. One of my best friends is responsible for what he terms the "fastest normally aspirated 2.2 Honda in the world". Whether or not that's a true statement, I can't say. It goes in the 8s, WITH FWD. It also costs about $8K to build it, and it needs to be rebuilt after 10 passes. Same is true of those high horsepower turbo cars. A more accurate comparison of V8s to the high powered imports (and Saturns) would be at the Pro-Comp or Pro-Mod level. Those are cars weighing considerably more, and going MUCH faster, but their engines are at a similar level of tune.
The point? Don't compare a "top fuel" 4-cylinder to a 12:1 V8. For a true comparison, you must make the mod levels equal. And regardless of what you saw in the movie, an Acura will NOT run with a Hemi Charger, unless the Charger is stock as a rock and the Acura is pumped to the teeth!

Jim
Old 10-06-2005, 06:14 AM   #32
fox1988
AF Newbie

well any tine you are in upstate ny pull up next to me id like to see you try to pull away from my stock 88 5.0
Old 10-08-2005, 07:54 PM   #33
Mr. Luos
Firebird Guy

I like making fun of the guys with Trans Ams....

They are such pieces of shit....mine only made 376.8 RWHP on the stock motor.
It will soon be making 500+ RWHP all motor.
1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747
Stock'ish'

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical