Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 02:02 PM   #1
jzajzz
AF Newbie

Saab 9-3 vs. Volvo S60

I'm in the market for a new car... a used one..

I'm down to 2 ... Saab and Volvo because the used cars are relatively cheap compared to the other makes in their class because they've depreciated so much

This is where I plan on buying the car... it is close to where I live and has a good number of both saabs and volvos ... www.bournes.com

saab 9-3 .. 2003 or better

pros: Great look, spacious and still not a "big body" car, it goes for about 12k-15k ... 45k-60k miles
there are even good 2004's that go for about this price .... This was my 1st choice but I have a hard time finding the color I want that has a Tan interior..at the price and miles I want..

Cons: Leather seats are not as smooth and thick as the volvo leather..., 170 hp compared to 208 of Volvo,

Volvo s-60 2002-2003 or better
pros: great leather seats, nice interior, great selection out there... i can find the color i want in the price I want, better horsepower

cons: I like the 9-3 look better, a little Less affordable than the saab... most of the ones in my price range are 2002's .. compared to saab's 2003 and 2004.. and the 2003 I can find are usually the colors I don't want.. , tight rear seat space (not that important), i've heard that the 2002 and 2001 s60 has an ETM problem .. and that it's fixed on the 2003 or later models.. .but like I said it's not as easy finding 2003's in my price range as it is for 2002... but i heard that the 2002 s60Turbo does not have this problem but again its not as easy finding those...

OVERALL: If the saab had the leather that the volvo does and the number of cars available in my area.. I definitely go with Saab...

but anyone who knows something about those two models.. s 60 and 9-3 .. tell me the pros and cons . .that you have experienced..
Old 05-23-2006, 04:06 PM   #2
porscheguy9999
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to porscheguy9999
Re: Saab 9-3 vs. Volvo S60

I hope you realize theres a reason they have depreciated so much. I'm not so sure about Saab, but I do know that reliability at Volvo is in the can right now. If this makes any difference, a firned of mine owns a 99' Volvo S80 and its a very nice car. Its got adequite power available from it's T6. But then again, its a steel framed car, so weight is an issue. As the S60 goes, I am kinda (well, really) in the dark about specs, quality, and most else. But, depending on if you get the T5 or the T6 engine, it would perform better in the S60. And if the interior is anything like the S80, then you will find acres of VERY comfortable leather.

The Saab is probably going to be more athletic (despite it's power difference from the S60). So if you want a car you can drive aggresivly, then the 9-3 would probably be slightly better. But the S60 is nicer and the brand Volvo has more pinache than Saab. My vote is casted for the S60.

You might also want to look at the S40. It would be cheaper then the S60, and be more athletic then the S60, and quite possibly more athletic then the 9-3. But I'm sure you'll be happy with either.

Thanks to Nicecar!

Got a Facebook? Join the AF group!
http://hs.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2213949483&ref=mf
Old 05-23-2006, 10:58 PM   #3
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster

The reliablility of Volvo is fine, there has in the past been a few teething problems with new techologies, but to say that it's in the can is being very unfair.

Frankly I'd go with the Saab though, as nice as the Volvo is to sit in, it's a miserable thing to drive, the suspension being it's worst problem, very very stodgy.

The 9-3 is the better of the two, the chassis is good, the engine great, the comfort not as good as the Volvo, but miles better than anything else on the road and it's a well built car, at least I think so.

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Old 05-24-2006, 12:26 AM   #4
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587

I've always admired the 9-3. Saab really knows how to make a good turbo engine, as well as a good front-wheel-drive platform. Volvos may be comfortable, safe, and reliable, but the 9-3 is a lot more fun.

My '05 Impreza 2.5 RS.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:25 PM   #5
jzajzz
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by porscheguy9999
I hope you realize theres a reason they have depreciated so much. I'm not so sure about Saab, but I do know that reliability at Volvo is in the can right now.
Well I thought the reason was the Demand for USED saabs and volvos... especially aorund that 3-4 years old period... people who buy used near-luxury cars tend to go for Acuras .. lexuses, etc..
Old 05-24-2006, 05:25 PM   #6
porscheguy9999
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to porscheguy9999

Oh, I heard somewhere that Volvo had reilabiliy issues lately. And I also based that on the reliability of my friend's S80. I went a bit too far on that one.

Thanks to Nicecar!

Got a Facebook? Join the AF group!
http://hs.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2213949483&ref=mf
Old 05-24-2006, 08:25 PM   #7
del
móddə rąytər

my family's had hit and miss with volvo. one of them, a 96 850 turbo was solid. not a single issue. then in 99 my mom got the S80 and that was a whole other story. while it was the most comfortable car she's ever had, and that car rode nicely and the seats were ever more comfy. it just had problem after problem. either a window just dropped into the door with no reason (twice), the back doors locked themseves from the inside AND out. tranny issues. it just seemed to be very confused on what gear to be in at any speed and the dealer didn't seem to know how to fix it. we had another 850 turbo but can't really comment on it coz the problems it had were caused by the owner. the one thing that's making me lean towards volvo is the fact that ford hasn't taken another vehicle in its parts bin, slapped a volvo badge on it and hike up the price. like GM has with saab - the saabaru and the rebadged trailblazer which also happens to be a buick, a gmc and an isuzu also. i'm not familar with saab really. though i do like the 9-3's.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:41 PM   #8
jzajzz
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by del
my family's had hit and miss with volvo. one of them, a 96 850 turbo was solid. not a single issue. then in 99 my mom got the S80 and that was a whole other story. while it was the most comfortable car she's ever had, and that car rode nicely and the seats were ever more comfy. it just had problem after problem. either a window just dropped into the door with no reason (twice), the back doors locked themseves from the inside AND out. tranny issues. it just seemed to be very confused on what gear to be in at any speed and the dealer didn't seem to know how to fix it. we had another 850 turbo but can't really comment on it coz the problems it had were caused by the owner. the one thing that's making me lean towards volvo is the fact that ford hasn't taken another vehicle in its parts bin, slapped a volvo badge on it and hike up the price. like GM has with saab - the saabaru and the rebadged trailblazer which also happens to be a buick, a gmc and an isuzu also. i'm not familar with saab really. though i do like the 9-3's.
yea see the one that had the problem was a FORD volvo though... that's what makes me skeptical...
Old 10-27-2006, 02:45 PM   #9
TheMan5952
Volvo Guy

Send a message via AIM to TheMan5952

I currently have a 2002 S60 T5 and love it. I have had several Volvo's and this maintains the standard. It is not simply a rebadged Ford car as some misguided people are saying. Ford only owns about 50% of Volvo for one. Also Volvo generaly shares it technology and some platfor bassis with ford. Volvo still retains all of their engineering in Gothenburg Sweden as well as manufacturing plants there and in Belgium.

The ETM issues has been resolved and is covered by Volvo against any of the cars that experience it at any time. And the '99 S80 was a peice, first model year on a new platform, what do you expect. Volvo learned from it and has upheld there qualiy in there newer line.

The suspension on the S60 is a little squishy for my tastes but if you get one with the sport package it takes care of that, plus alos a set of aftermarket springs are only 250-300 bucks.

Sold!1993 volvo 850
Intake, Exhaust, Springs, Shock, I.C.E.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:45 PM   #10
TheMan5952
Volvo Guy

Send a message via AIM to TheMan5952

I currently have a 2002 S60 T5 and love it. I have had several Volvo's and this maintains the standard. It is not simply a rebadged Ford car as some misguided people are saying. Ford only owns about 50% of Volvo for one. Also Volvo generaly shares it technology and some platfor bassis with ford. Volvo still retains all of their engineering in Gothenburg Sweden as well as manufacturing plants there and in Belgium.

The ETM issues has been resolved and is covered by Volvo against any of the cars that experience it at any time. And the '99 S80 was a peice, first model year on a new platform, what do you expect. Volvo learned from it and has upheld there qualiy in there newer line.

The suspension on the S60 is a little squishy for my tastes but if you get one with the sport package it takes care of that, plus alos a set of aftermarket springs are only 250-300 bucks.

Sold!1993 volvo 850
Intake, Exhaust, Springs, Shock, I.C.E.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:57 PM   #11
del
móddə rąytər

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan5952

TheMan5952, please check your PM box.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons