Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Pontiac Classics
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 05:55 PM   #1
Joebloe4
AF Newbie

‘71 Pontiac Lemans Sport questions

I have a 1971 Lemans Sport and would like a couple of questions answered if possible. One, the exhaust is smells quite a bit. It seems to be normal exhaust not gas or anything but it is alot stronger than I think it should be. How do I know how to fix it? A valve job, a complete engine rebuild, would a catalytic converter fix it, etc? Also, at night when I have the headlights on I notice they flicker in sync with the idle. And lastly, when I start it may idle a little high until it warms up(what I would concider normal), it may run rough and sometimes die or it may idle extremely high which doesn’t seem normal. I had the carb rebuilt and took it in the the guy and he said the carb is working fine. Would changing plugs and/or wires help or maybe something else. Thanks in advance for the help.
Joebloe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:56 PM   #2
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: ‘71 Pontiac Lemans Sport questions

Engines running without a catalytic converter will have an odor which is now evidently considered unusual. We all used to be accustomed to it, and thought the sulfur aroma from cars with cats was unusual when it first appeared. Now we are all desensitized to the cat aroma and notice the plain gasoline exhaust as "strange." If you hang out at race tracks or small (general aviation) airports you might not think the straight exhaust odor is strange at all. Adding a converter without adding an air injection pump could be a problem.

Headlights flickering at idle RPM can mean an adjustment of the voltage regulator is needed. It is a simple voltage check and gap/spring adjustment of the field relay.

The carb has a fast idle cam which actuates with the choke. If it is idling high when cold, the choke is also applied to some extent. Most 2CGs and 4MVs have a choke pull-off adjustment to ensure the choke is at least partially open once the engine is running.

Changing the plugs, wires, points, condenser, cap, and rotor can't hurt anything as routine maintenance, but it is unlikely to solve the the behavior you describe.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:53 AM   #3
Joebloe4
AF Newbie

Re: ‘71 Pontiac Lemans Sport questions

Thanks for the help.
Joebloe4 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Pontiac Classics