Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saturn > SC/SL/SW
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 01:34 PM   #1
schuey
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to schuey
Unhappy please help me diagnose a problem!

hi everyone...i am very poor and taking my car in is kind of a last resort for me so i wanted to post here and see if someone could help me at least diagnose a problem i'm having.

i have a 97 sc-2..i'm not sure if that helps or not but there it is.

earlier this week, i noticed that when i was driving home from work and i just wanted my car to coast for a few seconds so i would take my foot off the gas pedal, my RPM needle would kinda jump up a little bit and my car wouldn't slow down...it would either stay the same speed (like i had cruise control on) or accelerate one or two mph.

then i noticed that when i hit my brake, the sound of my heat coming out became more quiet.

and also, when i'm braking (and also right after i have put my car in park), my RPM needle lurches forward and you can hear my engine make a sound like it wants to go faster.

i am NOT having any trouble braking, just experiencing weird things when i do brake.

and yesterday while i was stopped at a stoplight, my car just completely quit running, it just stopped. i turned it on again, and it stopped after 3 seconds. i gave it 10-15 seconds, turned it on again and it stayed on but everytime i had to come to a complete stop, it would run VERY quietly like it was going to die.

so i went to the gas station and put a bottle of the fuel injector and carborator cleaning fluid into my gas tank and then drove the highway for 20 miles. now, the only problem i'm experiencing is the braking and stopping issue. whenever my car is braking or in park, the RPM needle jumps up and the engine makes a sound like it would make if i had just hit the gas pedal.

what is causing this and what can i do to fix it? please PLEASE help. thanks.
schuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
400 chevy
AF Newbie

Re: please help me diagnose a problem!

i am thinking that your problem may be in your tps throttle position sensor check and see if your throttle body is all gummed up that is one problem i had with my Sl2 saturn if that isn't it try both the temp sensors
400 chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:30 PM   #3
Cat Fuzz
AF Enthusiast

Clean the throttle body.
Cat Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:32 PM   #4
RC1488
AF Enthusiast

+1 on cleaning your throttle body. You need to take it off and clean it well. Clean the IAC (Idle Air Control) passages especially. This is what controls the butterfly flap after you let off the accelerator along with idle control.
If that does not help, during a high idle, tap the TPS (throttle posistion sensor) with the end of a screw driver. If the idle changes, then that is your problem.

Along with these you should also change your Engine Coolant Temperture Sensor. This sensor is VITAL to fuel management along with other systems. Yours is resin and will be eating through by the coolant if it has not done so already. This will send false signals to the PCM. The new ones are brass tipped and cost 17.50 at the dealer.
RC1488 is offline   Reply With Quote