Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-08-2002, 10:35 AM   #1
ED FUSS
AF Newbie

Unhappy Child Safety Locks??????

I am looking for the legal description of what "Child Safety Locks" is defined as well as how they are supposed to work.

? Doors that will not open from the inside unless they are told to?
? Doors that cannot be opened from the inside by child, but can be opened from the outside at will (unless doors are locked)?

My 3yr. old son was able to open passenger door of luxury car on highway the other day. I was told by dealer that the doors are designed to prevent this from happening????????

Please respond.

Thank you
ED FUSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 12:18 PM   #2
ivymike1031
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ivymike1031 Send a message via Yahoo to ivymike1031
Usually such locks are only used on the rear doors of a 4-door vehicle. The typical functionality is such: when the child safety function is activated, the door can only be opened from the outside. The child safety function is typically activated by a small switch on the trailing edge of the door, which is not accessible when the door is closed.
ivymike1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 12:25 PM   #3
ED FUSS
AF Newbie

Child safety locks.

Yes, your are correct. I appreciate your concurence with what I call "Child Safety Locks."

My problem is that our new C-320 Sport Wagon doesn't have this feature. The locks automatically lock at 9 MPH. My 3 yr. old lifts the locking button and opens the door????? I approached dealer, they recommended putting duct tape over lock, removing the locking stem (which did not work), or possibly disconnecting the locking stem from where ever it is connected below, at an extra cost.

Who would have thought that a Mercedes wagon would not be fitted w/ the type of safety device that the Grand Cherokee has??

Thanks for your response.

ED
ED FUSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 08:09 PM   #4
3.5litermoose
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 3.5litermoose
let the kid fall open the door on the road and fall out....he'll learn his lesson Just kidding!

I would have thought a mercedes would have child security locks. all i know is they suck when you accidently bump them when getting into the car. The family tahoe has the same child lock that ivymike was talking about.
Old 03-12-2002, 08:27 PM   #5
ivymike1031
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ivymike1031 Send a message via Yahoo to ivymike1031
hehheeh... I used to work in the door hardware department at a major truck company. We even had child safety locks on our rear doors! When the heck will a kid ever be riding in the back of a crew-cab firetruck?
ivymike1031 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical