Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Sketching and Drawing
Sketching and Drawing Sketchers and drawers in the house?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 04:46 PM   #1
Grymes
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Grymes
First thread, ...its a focus.

This is my first display of my work on these forums, tell me what you all think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg focus0001.jpg (99.6 KB, 140 views)
Grymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 07:18 PM   #2
asaenz
Sketch Guy

Welcome to the forum.

Your drawing is very good. I like the angle and style (very artistic).
The drawing is dark, which i think is good it adds weight to the car.
Your work is really cool because it looks like the car was etched into a stone slab.

One thing I did notice, please know I am trying to help.

The front tire and rim/fender should be smaller than the rear tire and rim. I don't know I may be wrong but generally that is how it works.

Anyway, glad you joined us.

al
Old 07-30-2003, 10:27 PM   #3
dapj88
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to dapj88
thats amazing!
very good but also with the front rim in addition to what asaenz said what about a brake disc?
dapj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 11:21 PM   #4
Grymes
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Grymes
I guess that is the first time I have noticed the rim size problem. SUCK, its not an easy fix, not that it ever will be fixed. And about the rotors and caipers, I dont know how I forgot those...oops.

If you wanted to know a little about the drawings, its on what I believe is 18"x24" sketch paper done in conte crayon. Its one of my few recent car drawing, most of my current time and drawing is devoted to my major, industrial design. Thanks for the comments and I am glad you all like it.
Grymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 10:24 AM   #5
jordanmc2399
AF Enthusiast

i love it!! same thing that asaenz said should be fixed
jordanmc2399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 05:10 PM   #6
AnsisK
AF Enthusiast

Not that easy at all to fix that. Next to impossible.

My comments: When doing the wheels, you barely gave them any depth. It looks as if the face of the spokes are paper thin. They just sit there. The are at least 1 inch thick, which you have to show. The inside of the rim of the wheel also has a lot of depth. It should go in a lot more, just enough so that you can barely see through to what is on the other side. Also on the front wheel, you can see all the way through to the front wing. What happened to the rest of the car? That area where you can see through the front wheel should be darkened. You should also add the actual column of the wheel, behind the nut in the middle, where the actual axle is visible, attaching to the back of the rim, essentially driving it. Your technique is very nice, but you really have to work on the wheels. Other than those, it looks really nice.
AnsisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 01:23 PM   #7
metal
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to metal Send a message via MSN to metal
Awesome! I love it!
metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 05:02 AM   #8
MALIX

Send a message via MSN to MALIX
Love it... Not a lot of poeple shade into a dark grayscale like this drawing. Don't worry about trying to fix the front rims. Best way to look at it -- next time you draw something -- is the further away something is the smaller it should be. When I'm making up a car I like to make my rear wheels bigger then the front even if the front of the car is closer to you -- most supercars have that.

Bottom line... I think pple here are making bigger deal out of the front rims then there should be. Peace.

MALIX
MALIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 05:08 AM   #9
MALIX

Send a message via MSN to MALIX
Oh, another idea is while you're drawing pick up your drawing, and turn the paper over so that the back side of the paper is facing you, then hold it against the light or in front of the mirror. You catch all of your proportion mistakes like that. This helps a lot while I draw. It's just sometimes you get so used to your drawing that you dont see anything wrong with it. Seeing the mirror image of your drawing is like seing it for the first time alowing you to be your own critic.

Just my

MALIX
MALIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 08:04 AM   #10
EMAXX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to EMAXX Send a message via MSN to EMAXX
I'm going to have to try that mirror thing too. Thanks man.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:02 AM   #11
AnsisK
AF Enthusiast

Re: First thread, ...its a focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALIX
Oh, another idea is while you're drawing pick up your drawing, and turn the paper over so that the back side of the paper is facing you, then hold it against the light or in front of the mirror. You catch all of your proportion mistakes like that. This helps a lot while I draw. It's just sometimes you get so used to your drawing that you dont see anything wrong with it. Seeing the mirror image of your drawing is like seing it for the first time alowing you to be your own critic.

Just my

MALIX
Yeah, I do that sometimes too. Sometimes, after a few hours of drawing, I just leave it till the next morning. Then I take a look at it and fix everything that seemed wrong upon first impression. I'll try your trick, seeing as it doesn't take 9 hours.