Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
SkyDiver
AF Newbie

Exclamation Urgent question about "Guaranteed to pass" for cars!

When I failed the smogcheck my mechanic told me that I should put in Guaranteed to Pass into an almost empty tank, then put in 9.1 gas (yeah right, as if I'm getting the most expensive gas with those fuel prices...) and drive it for 30 miles.
But on the package it says that I should fill it into a full tank (no mention about gas quality), then drive it to low and refuel.
My question is, since my tanks is half full (regular) can't I just put it in like that and drive around till it's empty? Since my registration expired after getting some stuff fixed I really shouldn't drive around much so I'm looking for the fastest solution.

thanks!
SkyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: Urgent question about "Guaranteed to pass" for cars!

Welcome to AF, How can we answer this, you can't drive to supposedly clear up a condition you have not mentioned, yet you must for this miracle product to work!

Last edited by maxwedge; 10-16-2012 at 08:11 AM.
maxwedge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
vgames33
AF Enthusiast

Re: Urgent question about "Guaranteed to pass" for cars!

I'm assuming your emissions readings are borderline, hence why your mechanic is suggesting a fuel system/carbon cleaner.

He probably recommended the highest grade of fuel because the premium fuel generally has a better cleaner/additive package than the standard fuel. The hope is that the cleaner combined with a tank of premium will help to clean better than just the cleaner by itself.

I've never seen an in the tank cleaner help a car to pass an emissions test. A few borderline cases have been solved with an induction system cleaner like SeaFoam, but I wouldn't expect miracles. Be prepared to spend some money to fix your issue. Drive the car hard while the cleaner is in the tank and get the oil changed before you retest. Make sure your car has fully warmed up before retesting.
vgames33 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical