Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 8 Series
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 01:12 PM   #1
paul161inf
AF Newbie

Question 850i on board check

I perchased my 850i a week ago with only a few minor things wrong with it. The computer display in my car telling me whats wrong is somtimes pixelated so I could't read the words clearly. At other times I can see it fine. I know the brains are working right because when I fixed the things that it said were wrong with it it reset itself by not displaying that fault anymore. The guy I bought it from said it just resently happened he said it needed to be reprogramed and he'd pay for it which would cost $100 I went to a bmw dealership for a full inspection and they said it would be $500 for a new head unit and $100 worth of labor. My question is to anyone, do you think I need a head unit or maybe there is a loose wire or fuse? I question bmw because they spent 3 hours on the car and could not find out why the wipers were not working properly and they said it will take another 2 hours to figure out the problem. I figured it out and fixed it in two minites. The fuse was blown. I know its a longshot and i probably need a new head unit but if anyone has any ideas it would sure be worth a try rather than hastely replacing the unit.

Thanks paul161inf
paul161inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 10:12 AM   #2
SwissM8
AF Newbie

Re: 850i on board check

Hi Paul,

The dreaded dying pixel phenomenon on the OBC is common on the 8 series and is basically a design fault. BMW are correct and the only 'real' fix is to buy a new one and the price they quoted is about right. BMW North America acknowledged the fault some time ago and offered a free replacement - don't know if it still applies as I am in Switzerland. I know it wasn't offered by BMW Europe.

Unfortunately, Bosche made these things to be virtually unfixeable and they are almost impossible to take apart without damaging something.

There is a guy based in Germany who advertises on 'that' famous auction site. He apparently does fixes. I bought one from him (new) for 170Euro. Do a search on the German (.de) of 'that' site for "e31 bordcomputer pixel reparatur"

Hope this helps :-)
SwissM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 09:00 PM   #3
S8BMW
AF Newbie

Question

Hi

Does this problem manifest across the board or is it confined to certain models ie 850/840 M60/M62/M70 etc' or year of manufacture?

In other words was it corrected ever by BMW/Bosch
S8BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 04:30 AM   #4
SwissM8
AF Newbie

Re: 850i on board check

E31, E38 were the worst affected as they shared very similar (the same?) displays.
This particular problem was never corrected for these units, hence BMWNA kind offer of a free replacement OBC display.
SwissM8 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 8 Series