Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Eighty Eight
Eighty Eight Includes the '97-'98 Regency and '96-'99 LSS Models
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 03:10 PM   #1
fourtwenty
AF Newbie

93 olds 88 transmission problem

Hi guys (and girls), I bought this car a few months ago. Basically intended as a winter beater, it was cheap and seemed to be in decent shape when I bought it. It has 205k km (about 120k miles) and as far as I know it's the original tranny.

The fluid looks like it's in good shape (proper colour, no burnt odor), I have no idea about the filter though.

For the last week or so I've been having problems in the morning when I leave for work, and again 9 hours later when I leave for home. Basically, I get this problem anytime the car sits for an extended period of time.

The problem is like this. When I start it after it's been sitting for a while, the transmission won't fully engage unless the car has been running for about 10-15 mins. really this started over a month ago but then it was only 30 seconds to 2 mins, which was fine because it would take me that long to defrost the windows, clean snow off etc.. Lately it has gotten much worse. When I shift it feels like it sort of engages, but it won't really go anywhere. If I give it gas it will move a small amount, so it is engaged a tiny bit, but not enough to actually go anywhere. When it does warm up it shifts and drives fine. The torque converter does make a bit of noise at certain RPM though.

It does have a fluid leak, which seems to have gotten worse lately.

I took it to Mr. Transmission yesterday for them to have a look. They tell me that there is an internal problem and it needs to be rebuilt. It was also low on fluid so they topped it up for me.

Then they gave me this big story about how great the condition of the car is and it's worth spending the money etc. The reality is that it's not in very good shape, and I could easily spend $2k in addition to the trans repair ($1500) to fix other problems. So I guess what I'm saying is I don't really trust them since they were so aggressive about getting it rebuilt. Perhaps there is an easier fix but they would rather make more money off me? What are the chances that it is as simple as a clogged filter considering that the fluid looks really good?

I don't really know how an auto trans works, but I was wondering, does the fluid remain under pressure when it's not running? Perhaps the leak causes it to loose pressure and then it takes a while to build that pressure up enough so that it will actually engage?

The car was intended as a winter beater and I'm really only concerned with keeping it going until the spring.

I've added a bottle of transmedic today to see if it makes a difference. I've already noticed that the torque converter has quieted down.

Does anyone have any suggestions or similar experience?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
fourtwenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 04:35 PM   #2
GTP Dad
Pontiac Guy

Re: 93 olds 88 transmission problem

If I were you I would change the fluid and filter to make sure the filter is clean and make sure that the fluid level is correct. Purchase a can of Sea Foam trans additive and add it to the new fluid. This should clean up the inside of the transmission and make it shift better. One word of caution, don't let anyone talk you into a transmission flush, as they are bad news on high mileage transmissions and don't believe what the tranny shop told you. If they were that aggressive they just want your money.
GTP Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:26 PM   #3
92-LS
AF Newbie

I second GTP Dad's advice. I have the same problem with my 92 LS 190K. When mine does this I just put it in 1st. It will just pause for a moment and then engage as normal. From what I've been told it has something to do the check balls in the valve body getting stuck. As for your leaks, check the cooler pipes/hoses which should less than $100 to do them all. Additional I also had to replace the side cover gasket and axle seal which is a bit of a pain as the axle shaft must be removed.

Hope this helps...
92-LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:58 PM   #4
Hansnet
AF Regular

well you can find a trans for ~300-500 bucks in a yard, they are everywhere. however you need someone to put it in for a reasonable cost. I generally advise to not flush the 4t60e/4t65e if they had not been flushed often before that. A lot of times it will make the problem worse. I'd also make sure your TPS is working 100% as well.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:24 PM   #5
fourtwenty
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansnet
well you can find a trans for ~300-500 bucks in a yard, they are everywhere. however you need someone to put it in for a reasonable cost. I generally advise to not flush the 4t60e/4t65e if they had not been flushed often before that. A lot of times it will make the problem worse. I'd also make sure your TPS is working 100% as well.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm going to go get the filter/fluid changed tomorrow. When the filter comes out, is there a way to see if it is dirty/clogged or is it completely enclosed?

Regarding the TPS, I'm not sure what it does exactly and how it would affect the transmission. Could you please explain futher?

Thanks again!
Old 01-22-2006, 10:31 AM   #6
GTP Dad
Pontiac Guy

You can cut the filter apart and look at it but you may not see much. Since the computer controls the transmission shifts on these cars you may have issues if the TPS is not working correctly as it sends bad information to the computer and causes shifts to be eratic. Just a brief explanation!
GTP Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:55 AM   #7
fourtwenty
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP Dad
You can cut the filter apart and look at it but you may not see much. Since the computer controls the transmission shifts on these cars you may have issues if the TPS is not working correctly as it sends bad information to the computer and causes shifts to be eratic. Just a brief explanation!
I see. Well I don't know that the TPS would be a problem here. The shifting is never erratic or anything like that. When I shift in the morning it feels like it goes in, but maybe there is not enough hydraulic pressure to actually move the car at any useful rate of speed.

I will keep it in mind though.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:24 AM   #8
fourtwenty
AF Newbie

Well, that little bottle of "snake oil" seems to have fixed it up for now. It shifts into gear as soon as I start the engine. We'll see how long it lasts. I never even got around to the fluid and filter change. Going to give it a week or 2 to make sure she stays together, then do the fluid/filter change and fix the leaks at the same time.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:41 PM   #9
RetiredEd
AF Newbie

I have experienced the same problem and was prepared to remove the tranny and take it to a friend's shop. He told me not to pull it, but rather to add 6 ounces of brake fluid and run it as usual. within 24 hours I saw a major change and drove the car for 4 more years with no problems. The brake fluid swells the seals in the transmission, he told me it may last a few months or years. I guess I was lucky with it lasting so long. Turned out to be a cheaper fix than I could have imagined. good luck
RetiredEd is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Eighty Eight