Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Freestar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 04:46 PM   #1
mchedd
AF Newbie

cd changer removal

Can anyone tell me how to remove the 6 in-dash cd changer on my wife's '04 Freestar? It has 2 cd's installed - won't play - won't eject - Just makes grinding and clicking noise.
Thanks,
Mike
mchedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:52 PM   #2
sharky123
AF Newbie

Re: cd changer removal

Mike,

I have a 2004 Freestar and had the same problem. I had 6 cds in the changer and they wouldn't play, wouldn't eject. I read online that the trim surrounding the unit is pretty flexible and can be pried off. I went and pried the trim - it came off pretty easy and then just unscrewed a few screws and then entire cd/radio unit was free. It's only a matter of unplugging 3 plugs on the back. It was pretty easy to remove and I had never done anything similar before.

Now the problem . . . what to do with it once it's out. I called my local dealer who told me it was shipped to a repair center where it would be pretty much swapped with another so I wouldn't get my cds back - to the tune of approx. $250.00. I went and purchased a pioneer cd/radio instead and they opened the cd changer to retrieve the cds. I watched them do it and they basically have to destroy the cd changer.

That created another problem for me - the signal from this radio is a lot weaker. My favorite channels fade in and out. I don't know if the original radio is that much better or if there is a problem somewhere else.

If I'd have to do it all over again, I'd buy a replacement unit on eBay - approx. $99 and just have someone tear apart the old cd changer to retrieve the cds OR forget about the cds that are in there and keep the radio.

Update: Added a booster and the radio is better, but still not as good as the factory install.

Good luck.
sharky

Last edited by sharky123; 06-27-2007 at 08:03 AM.
sharky123 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Freestar