Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Grand Marquis
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
papasmithnc
Banned

Wiper Arm Removal Question

This thing has got me stumped. I am trying to replace the wiper motor. To do so, I must remove the wiper arms. I just can't seem to do it. Is there a special technique or tool? I see a tab at the pivot point at the base of the wiper arm. It seems to part of a clip that fits on the underside of the arm at the base where the arm attaches but, I just can't seem to remove it. It comes out a little but, that's it. Rain is being called for on Thanksgiving and, I need this thing fixed before then.

Basically, I am asking, can someone explain how to remove the wiper arms.

Dave in NC
papasmithnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
way2old
TOKEN HILLBILLY

Re: Wiper Arm Removal Question

If you have the wiper arm up and the tab locked, it should pull off. The arm needs raised off the windshield and the tab is to be pulled out and locked in place. This tab is what locks the arm in place It might ne a little hard to remove from the splines if there is a lot of dirt in it.

The sooner you fall behind the more time you'll have to catch up.
HEY Y'ALL--READ THIS
Here are some of our old vehicles for sale.

way2old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
Blue)(Fusion
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Blue)(Fusion Send a message via Yahoo to Blue)(Fusion

First time I had to remove the wiper cowl this had me stumped for quite some time, too.

For the driver side wiper I find it is easier to do with the wiper upright and the hood closed. Just pull the arm away from the windshield and then slide that clip out with your fingers. When it's in the unlocked position, the wiper arm will not spring back towards the windshield. It does not come out all of the way, only about 1/4". You should then be able to just pull straight up on the wiper arm at the connection point and set it aside.

The passenger side I find is easier to remove with the hood open and the wiper in the parked position.

When re-installing it may take a few attempts to get the wipers synced together. You want to sync them based on their park position.

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
- 119k / 14.89s @ 92.11MPH [ pictures | videos ]
> Dual Flowmaster Delta 40s / J-Mod / PI Intake Manifold & Cams / Marauder Air Box & 80mm MAF / 3.55 Trac-Lok
> Bumper Tuck / Steeda UD Pulleys / CVPI Zip Tube / Ported & Polished Plenum / BBK 70mm TB
> BOC 93 Octane Tune / Headlight Relay Upgrade / 17mm rear stabilizer bar / Heinous Aluminum Billet Rear Control Arms
> CVPI aluminum driveshaft

Blue)(Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:43 PM   #4
papasmithnc
Banned

Thanks guys for the advice. What confused me was that when I read that the tab was to come out, my interpretation was that it came off. It doesn't. As indicated your posts it only comes out about 1/4" or so. What the tab does is slide under the bottom of the shaft where the wiper arm attaches. When the tab is pulled out about a 1/4", it slides out from under the shaft and allows the wiper arm to come off. I did move the tab out but, as indicated by waytoold, dirt or corrosion, prevented the arm from coming off immediately. This fooled me in to thinking I was not doing something right.

Hopefully your suggestions and my explanation will save others the frustration I experienced. New wiper motor is on and wipers are working fine.

Thanks again.
Dave in NC
papasmithnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:31 AM   #5
way2old
TOKEN HILLBILLY

Thanks for the follow up. Have one on me (_)3

The sooner you fall behind the more time you'll have to catch up.
HEY Y'ALL--READ THIS
Here are some of our old vehicles for sale.

way2old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:19 PM   #6
stream
AF Newbie

glad I read this before I start this project - been going without wipers for like nine months and really sick of having to put rainex on all the time, etc

I had thought there was a thread about wipers that had something about the amps at the motor and the controller up under the glove compartment - and so you would know if it was the motor or the controller - can not find it - was it here in this forum?
stream is offline   Reply With Quote