Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Prius
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 05:40 AM   #1
72randy
AF Newbie

2005 Prius and disappointment

This is my recent tale. We've had 7 Toyotas over the course of 41 years. All have behaved very well with very little spent on any major problems. We've had a Corona, a used Celica, a used Corolla, two Camrys, and still have a 1997 Tacoma and the Prius. Only the Tacoma needed a part, a water pump replaced some years ago.

For the first five years the Prius had been just about perfect with the average gas milage being around 50 mpg. All was well until a recent trip to Florida when the triangular warning light went on during the way down to Naples. We got a bit nervous but since we were in the middle of the Florida panhandle, the middle of nowhere (we were on I-10), we just kept going. All was well until out return via I-95 near Melbourne. We were able to find a dealership there and our problem was diagnosed as a failure of part of the computer system to the tune of $2230! This was a shock of course and the uncertainty and anger started to bubble up. We had to spend an extra night in fair Melbourne(!) and got home without further ado.

The following day the same warning light went on and I was told our water pump was leaking and it needed replacement along with another pump (a hybrid pump (?) which was on recall and would be replaced gratis). This to the tune of $334.

I read how well almost everyone loves their Prius as we did but at this point I have lost hope in it and wrote Toyota telling them that we thought these expenses were certainly pricey and that we could never heartily recommend this car to any one. We got a call from them a couple of weeks later saying they were sorry for our problems and gave us a case number in the event that any other communications with them would be wanted. I told them that I hadn't expected them to pay for the cost of the computer but that their cost for this mishap was that we could no longer recommend this car to anyone.

Just had to get this off my chest.
72randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:32 AM   #2
urclueless
Banned

Re: 2005 Prius and disappointment

How many mile on the car and was the the computer that failed the engine computer... that's covered under federal emissions law for certain miles/years. I don't have that number memorized and you can easily google that info.

41years of Toyotas... wow, your first one must have been a 1969!!! what model did you buy back then?
urclueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:39 AM   #3
sherando1@ntelos.n
AF Newbie

Our first Toyota was the Corona Mark 4 if I remember correctly and I think we bought it early in the early 70's after we got married. We have about 79,500 on Prius. How would I find out about the federal emissions law? I expect with this mileage we'd be well passed the warranty.
sherando1@ntelos.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:28 PM   #4
satwood
AF Newbie

72Randy,

I have a suspicion that the original problem you had was an overheating inverter, due to the failure of the inverter cooling pump. The first dealer you went to probably just replaced the inverter, which would cost $2000. My intuition from reading other forums is that the colling pump was actually the problem.

I suggest you look at the original service invoice and see if it was really acomputer (which i have never read of anyone replacing) or the inverter. Then, contact Toyota and ask them to investigate if this was a mis-diagnosis by the dealer.

There are others more knowledgeable than me at "priuschat" you may wish to do some homework. You might be entitled to a refund...

Steve
Old 12-20-2010, 05:07 AM   #5
72randy
AF Newbie

Thanks for your response.

I looked at the invoice and it mentions "Computer Assy, SK for $1710.71. The rest was labor and 'shop supplies'.
72randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:21 PM   #6
satwood
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72randy View Post
Thanks for your response.

I looked at the invoice and it mentions "Computer Assy, SK for $1710.71. The rest was labor and 'shop supplies'.
OK, then I may have guessed wrong. Must be a computer I'm not familiar with. It may all just be an unfortunate series of circumstances. Sorry to hear. Good luck.