Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Monza
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 11:51 AM   #1
5speedBuick
AF Newbie

Question Borg Warner T-50 question

I have a couple of questions about the BW T-50 5 speed transmission.

Is there an easy way to identify the 5 speed that was used behind the
Monza V-8s from those that were used behind the 4 cylinder engines?

What exactly does the shift pattern look like for the BW 5 speed?

Could I use one of these 5 speeds behind my Buick 215 aluminum V8?

Thank you very much for helping me out with these questions.
5speedBuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:02 PM   #2
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: Borg Warner T-50 question

I'm not sure about any of that, but I'll guess that you would need a Buick bellhousing which would accept the bolt pattern of the T-50. The transmission lived behind the Monza 262 V-6, so it might have a good chance bolted to a 215/F-85 engine.

Since so little information is available, and it had a short life span, I'd be more inclined to use a different transmission, such as a T-5, or even the NV-3500.

A T-5 is supposed to bolt directly to a 1962-63 Buick/Olds 215 dual-pattern bellhousing, but not to a 1961 three-speed only bell.

There are adapter kits available for the NV-3500 to the Buick 225/231, but I'm not sure how that would work for the 215 V-8.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:33 AM   #3
johndesch
AF Newbie

I have an Borg Warner 5 speed transmission that I understand is from a Monza. I am wanting to install it in my '57 chev pickup. It has the correct splines and bolt pattern to install in the truck. What lube is used in this gearbox? Is there anyplace that would offer parts for this transmission. I am needing a new rubber boot for the shifter. I had a transmission shop open the unit up and evaluate it. They indicated the box should work just fine. I am using the original 235 engine so am assuming this box will work.

John
johndesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:53 PM   #4
MAD_MIKE
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndesch
I have an Borg Warner 5 speed transmission that I understand is from a Monza. I am wanting to install it in my '57 chev pickup. It has the correct splines and bolt pattern to install in the truck. What lube is used in this gearbox?
For use in a pickup you will want the shifter moved forward.
If the Monza T50 uses the same tailshaft as the other GM T50s then it is probably too close to the seat to be able to shift. Unless you have changed to bucket seats.
Luckily if you are planning on using the T50 bell housing then you can use an S-series or Astro 2wd T5. Which has the shifter closer to the firewall and ideal for a truck application.

Quote:
Is there anyplace that would offer parts for this transmission. I am needing a new rubber boot for the shifter.
Not for the GM T50. Most shops will inform you that they cannot service this transmission. If they can it probably will be costly. You can try the GM service departments and ask them to run a nationwide inventory check.
You may be able to use or modify a common T5 boot as a dust cover.

There is a T50 transmission that is used in the Corolla Levin Trueno AE86 cars that is not the same transmission, if you find parts for a 'T50' confirm that it is the B-W GM transmission that you have.
Casting numbers for the GM T50 should begine with 13-38-****.

Quote:
I had a transmission shop open the unit up and evaluate it. They indicated the box should work just fine. I am using the original 235 engine so am assuming this box will work.
John
The Blue Flame is a mild engine, but the T50 is not the strongest of gearboxs. It was originally used in 76-79 GM cars with horsepower below 110HP net. It does have a first gear ratio of either 3.10 or 3.40.
If this is just a cruiser then it should be fine with mild driving.
If you plan on beating on it from time to time I would reccomend a switch to the S-series or Astro T5.
MAD_MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 10:44 AM   #5
junkyardog
AF Newbie

is the monza z bar and throw out baring arangment the same as early v8 and i6 chevys? I have a monza auto and I want to swap to a standard.
junkyardog is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Monza