Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 04:17 PM   #1
Bigbluechevy
AF Newbie

2004 Crew Cab popping/flapping window noise?

I have a 2004 Crew Cab 1500 and whenever I get up to about 50 mph I hear this popping/flapping sound comming from the front windshield on the passengers side. I have a Lund bug deflector on the truck, but it was doing that before I put the deflector on.

Does anybody know what is causing this, and is anybody else having this problem? Thanks.
Bigbluechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 05:14 PM   #2
yankeeintruder
AF Regular

Scroll down to post #111. That's the subject number right now....... will go up as more posts are entered.
yankeeintruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 08:27 PM   #3
guth
AF Newbie

Re: 2004 Crew Cab popping/flapping window noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluechevy
I have a 2004 Crew Cab 1500 and whenever I get up to about 50 mph I hear this popping/flapping sound comming from the front windshield on the passengers side. I have a Lund bug deflector on the truck, but it was doing that before I put the deflector on.

Does anybody know what is causing this, and is anybody else having this problem? Thanks.

I had the same problem on my 2003. They finally fixed it by replacing the molding on the bottom side of the windshield outside. The wind was making it vibrate on the window.
guth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 08:35 PM   #4
Thunderbolt
AF Regular

Re: Re: 2004 Crew Cab popping/flapping window noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guth
I had the same problem on my 2003. They finally fixed it by replacing the molding on the bottom side of the windshield outside. The wind was making it vibrate on the window.

The most common cause for the flapping noise is the two little rubber flaps that cover the end of the hood hinge. I have heard of people taping them and such and also people living with it. I would be willing to bet that is where your noise came from and that may actually be what the dealer replaced on this persons truck.
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 09:03 PM   #5
guth
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: 2004 Crew Cab popping/flapping window noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt
The most common cause for the flapping noise is the two little rubber flaps that cover the end of the hood hinge. I have heard of people taping them and such and also people living with it. I would be willing to bet that is where your noise came from and that may actually be what the dealer replaced on this persons truck.
I taped them down to try that and it didnt work. That might also be what is causing his noise though
guth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 10:50 PM   #6
Bigbluechevy
AF Newbie

No those two rubber flaps is not what is causing this "popping" noise, I taped those down. It is just a random "pop" constantly at speeds of 55mph and over. I took it to the dealership and they said it was probably the bug deflector causing it, but I know its not becuase it was doing it before I put the bug guard on.

It sounds like it is the windshield popping, but I know that is impossible becuase the windshield, even if it was loose, would not cause that kind of noise.

I will take it in again and let them attempt at fixing it.
Bigbluechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 07:04 AM   #7
Thunderbolt
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluechevy
No those two rubber flaps is not what is causing this "popping" noise, I taped those down. It is just a random "pop" constantly at speeds of 55mph and over. I took it to the dealership and they said it was probably the bug deflector causing it, but I know its not becuase it was doing it before I put the bug guard on.

It sounds like it is the windshield popping, but I know that is impossible becuase the windshield, even if it was loose, would not cause that kind of noise.

I will take it in again and let them attempt at fixing it.

Let us know what you find out. You have my curiousity going now. Good luck.
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 09:04 AM   #8
deadmeat
AF Newbie

It sounds like the winshield molding. As the air hits the windshield, the molding is lifted and then snaps back making the flapping noise. Many people have said (in other posts) that it can be fixed by lifting the molding slightly and securing it with 3M double sided tape.
deadmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 08:48 PM   #9
TwentyPints
AF Regular

mine flaps too!
TwentyPints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 11:39 PM   #10
chuck16
AF Enthusiast

Out of curiosity, try taping along the bottom and sides of your window with Electrical tape. Then take it for a drive. If the popping continues then I would be more suspect of something else. At least the Electrical Tape will act as a deflector between the seal and the body. If it doesn't work you can just peal it off and it shouldn't do anything to your paint.

Just my worth.

2008 GMC ACADIA
SLE Edition, 7 passenger model

I AM Canadian!!
chuck16 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado