Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Grand Marquis
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
shawnbarker924
AF Newbie

Power windows not working

Only my drivers side front window is working right now. With the other three they do nothing. On one of them you can hear the motor trying to work but it doenst roll down. Did that one maybe come detached somehow? The others make no noise when you try to roll them down. Should I replace the motors and regulators on all three? Is that difficult? Also when I took off the panel to look at one of the window motors there was some plastic covering all the openings under the panel, is that ok to pull off? Any help would be great! Thanks
shawnbarker924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:31 AM   #2
LieutenantCracker
AF Newbie

Re: Power windows not working

Sry, I can't help with the BIG problem but I do know that the plastic film is supposed to help keep water form going in from the window/inner-door panel area to the inner-door panel but I had to take mine off a good three years ago, so I could replace the door lock keypad-- I've had no problems w/ water getting in.
________
Wendie 99

Last edited by LieutenantCracker; 04-21-2011 at 06:21 AM.
LieutenantCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
prmars
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to prmars

I know it's been a long time since you posted this question, and I hope you've resolved your window issues.

For those that have the same problem, my experience with Panther Platform cars 1992 on has been the window regulators are the cause of that particular problem.

This is usually indicated by a working window switch- the motor turns, but the window won't roll down or up (or comes partially down and hangs, then won't come back up without "manual assistance").

They used a nylon coated steel cable on the regulators, and the coating would harden and flake off, exposing the steel filaments of the cable. Gradually, the filaments would break and the cable would fray and then become tangled on itself inside the cable reel of the window regulator.

Ford's solution is to replace the regulator. Supposedly this problem was limited to 1992-2000 Panthers, but I can't confirm that, as I just picked up a 2003 Grand Marquis three days ago (interestingly enough, Front Passenger window won't work, but that appears to be a bad motor).

We have a 1997 Grand Marquis GS that has been plagued with this problem, as well as bad switches. I replaced the original Driver Door window regulator with a cheapie from eBay, which lasted about 8 months. We had a Ford dealership in Dothan, AL replace it in 2009, and it failed last last year. While they claim to have eliminated this problem in 2001 and later models, the replacement regulators don't seem to be a long-term solution, either.
prmars is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to prmars For This Useful Post:
stream (04-13-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 08:26 PM   #4
stream
AF Newbie

I have the drivers window stuck - off track about half an inch down - the passenger back window the cable broke and my husband could not get ahold of it to get it up, put a plexiglass in there pretty good for now, other two work ok, need to get all fixed this summer and wiper motor - been using rainex and getting by for almost a year so there is that - any tips on door panel removal?
stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:49 PM   #5
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stream View Post
I have the drivers window stuck - off track about half an inch down - the passenger back window the cable broke and my husband could not get ahold of it to get it up, put a plexiglass in there pretty good for now, other two work ok, need to get all fixed this summer and wiper motor - been using rainex and getting by for almost a year so there is that - any tips on door panel removal?
You didn't give the year.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gran...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 04-15-2019, 06:26 PM   #6
auto trainy
AF Enthusiast

Have you checked to see if the child safety switch is engaged?
auto trainy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Grand Marquis