Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars > Studebaker > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 07:10 AM   #1
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

This is Studebaker

As some of you folks may be asking 'what's a Studebaker?', here is an excellent article on Wikipedia about the firm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studebaker
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:29 AM   #2
Docbass
AF Newbie

Smile Re: This is Studebaker

I have a 1950 stude,which is the first car I ever owned .
The gas mileage was excellent for that big old junk of iron and steel and it amazes me that they can't build a car as heavy and get better mileage today.
Hopefully one day I can restore it to the point of at least driving it around.
Seems every time we get in position to start on it something comes along and stops us
Thanks for the link with the info on it
Docbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 12:18 AM   #3
Ptrebor
AF Newbie

Re: This is Studebaker

Hi Doc:

A 1950 Stude, first car and plans to restore in the future? Such sentiments are those of us who own Studebakers.

I own a 1953 Studebaker Champion 4 door sedan which was manufactured in Hamilton, Ontario Canada. It was owned by a gentleman in Manitoba who drove it until about 1974 and sadly, it became a field car for the Mexican workers in rural Manitoba. It appeared that this old beauty had reached its end as it sat sadly in a farmer's junk yard amongest old tractors and other machinery.

As luck would have it I went on a family holiday which included a visit to my uncle's vegetable farm in Portage Le Prairie, Manitoba. I spent much of my time sight-seeing from the seat of an off-road motorcycle. One day as I roared along the Assiniborne dike I spoted what appeared to be an old automobile among the grass and weeds of an equipment graveyard. I rode in closer to find a blue 53 Studebaker.

To make a long story short, I located the farmer and made a deal for $100 dollars and he kindly loaned me his garage and tools which enable me to tow the car back to safety. I went home to Ontario and returned with a so-called float trailer and with the help of my brothers I brought it home.

The car was almost rust free with a few minor dents, etc. etc.

At the moment the car is in need of new upholstery which I hope to install, you guessed it! in the future.

My hat is off to all who have saved a Stude from the crusher and have over many years enjoyed dreaming of a finished project. Talk about life-long learning.

Sincerely
Ptrebor
Ptrebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:51 PM   #4
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Hey, that's a great story.
Whenever I am on a road trip with the wife she lives in fear of my finding old cars / wrecking yards etc by the side of the road because she knows I'll waste lots of time looking around.

I ride dirt bikes a lot (have been for 30 years) and have found some great long - abandoned cars/trucks/machinery off in the bush. I'm glad that someone has rescued one of these fine machines.

BTW what bikes do you ride?
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:22 PM   #5
rjohnsto
AF Newbie

A 50 Bulletnose ( 245 six) isn't heavy by today's standards or 1950 standards for that matter. Studebaker always relied on it's MPG Economy as a selling point. The Champion Six and standard trans with OD was a real winner then and would be today also..
rjohnsto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 03:17 AM   #6
Ptrebor
AF Newbie

Hi:
I enjoyed your observations on the 50 Bulletnose. I agree that the 245 cid inline 6 in combination with the 3 speed overdrive transmission was an amazing combination offering 28mpg or higher along with decent acceleration. This was a low tech engine using pre-war designs and was still ahead in its time and an example to designs to follow. Somehow, in our drive to develop horsepower, the simplicity of these old engines were lost. These engines ran clean and did not require EGR, AIR or use a catalitic convertor to deminish emissions. Such engines could have been cleaned up without spending billions on research which conclude that low compression ratio etc. help engines to run cleaner.

This is just an observation. In 1959 to 1960 the Studebaker Lark was an almost perfect family car from a mechanical point of view. Great fuel economy, decent performance and mechanical longevity. In addition, the cost of maintainance and repair was also low. The problem with these cars was body rust, a problem which could have been controlled using the methods of today.
Ptrebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 08:32 AM   #7
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Studebakers were a tradition in my family: My father owned a '40 something 2 door coupe www.avigex.ca/Scan62d.jpg then a 4door '49Champion, '52COmmander,'54Champion,'60Lark,'62LarkV8,'65Lark V8. I and brothers owned '61Lark www.avigex.ca/Scan81b.jpg
,'64LarkV8,'66Lark2door....
ALl I have left now are a few 15" wheel covers and tail lamps clusters from the '65.. a few 8mm movie clips....and a 259 V-8 installed in an Essex 1927
Old 04-04-2007, 05:26 PM   #8
fanbelt
AF Newbie

I had a 62 Lark 6 cyl. Fun to exchange horn toots with other Studebaker drivers. Surprised not to see more activity here.
fanbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:50 AM   #9
dallastx75208
AF Newbie

I have a 62 hawk that I can't wait to get on the road. Having the transmission changed to a mustang t5. Will be great when finished.
dallastx75208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 07:11 AM   #10
2studedude
AF Newbie

Judging from the time lapse between post I guess there are not many folks interested in Studebakers. I feel they were ahead of their time. I just purchased two trucks. 1 49 1 ton and a 53 1 1/2 ton. My family owned them back in the mid to late fifties. the engines were built to last, timing gears versus chains, case hardened cylinder walls. Unfortunately their body designs were not with the times. I am new to this forum and hope I may contribute useful information.
2studedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:44 PM   #11
chucks stude
AF Newbie

2studedude, if you want to see a real "hotbed" of Stude activity, go to the "Studebaker Drivers Club", and go to the forum there. Lots of activity, lots of pics .
To Dallas75208, my fiance lives in 75209, and I also have a 62 Gt. 4speed, with Air. A must in Houston, where I live now. I am intrigued with the 5 speed you are putting in your car. I hope that you are taking lots of pics of the changeout. I am very tempted to do this, just to slow the engine down. Although, as a kid growing up in Midland, Texas and going to school at ASC, now UTA(A&M sold it to UT for a school to be named later), I used to drive a Hawk between Arlington and Midland for years with no problems.
chucks stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:23 PM   #12
old.driver
AF Newbie

I used to be asked "What year is it"? Now the question is "What is it"?
when I tell them "it's a Studebaker" the person gets a puzzled look on their face, Why is this? Could it be that me and my cars are getting so old not too many people remember one of the best vehicles ever built?
old.driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:01 PM   #13
Docbass
AF Newbie

I think you have it right,we are getting old

Quote:
Originally Posted by old.driver
I used to be asked "What year is it"? Now the question is "What is it"?
when I tell them "it's a Studebaker" the person gets a puzzled look on their face, Why is this? Could it be that me and my cars are getting so old not too many people remember one of the best vehicles ever built?
Docbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:25 AM   #14
sub006
AF Enthusiast

The Studebaker V8, which came out around 1952, was a fine small-block engine. Dean Moon of Mooneyes and Moon Disc fame, used one as the first OHV engine he installed in his famous '34 Ford. Paxton superchargers added to the fun from the '57 Golden Hawk to the '64 Avanti.

One of the few good things that came out of the Studebaker-Packard merger in 1955-56 was availability of the 370+ cubic inch Packard V8 in some Hawks. They were a terror on the dragstrips!

Last edited by sub006; 11-05-2010 at 09:32 PM.
sub006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:44 AM   #15
Citation84
AF Newbie

I have had a soft spot in my heart for Studebakers all my life. Parents brought me home in a 50 with the wrap around rear window. For my 50th birthday I bought a 1/18th scale model of one. It seemed appropriate.
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars > Studebaker > General Discussion