Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Other Cars
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 03:22 PM   #106
iNVisionPROTOTYPES
AF Newbie

Re: Build your own car from SCRATCH?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgraber
Anyone else on this forum building their own car from scratch?
Very awsome build man!

I've been working on a project for a few year...recently completed and would like to share..except that I can't seem to find an attachment button to attach some images of her.
iNVisionPROTOTYPES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:55 PM   #107
iheartjdm
AF Newbie

Nothing but to congratulate you for that thing.

Keep up because that is a great example for the swappers out there. They could probably start their own vehicles too following your inspiration, man.

Please keep it up
Old 01-28-2009, 02:53 PM   #108
sgraber
AF Newbie

Hey guys, just a quick update: I've been driving the car a lot and it just never stops being fun! I'm glad it's got a windshield cause otherwise I'd have bugs in my teeth!

I am in the process of creating DOORS right now and they will hinge up like Lambo doors. I want to make them hinge up and butterfly out like the McLaren Supercar, but I also want the hinge and door assy to be simple and lightweight, so we'll just have to wait and see. I'll post some photos of my door progress in a while.

In the meantime I made some really cool artwork using photoshop and airbrush technique and am having a limited production run of black 100% cotton T-Shirts made. The artwork below is 15" wide across the front of the Tee. If you like my car I suggest that you buy one! They are made with 10 screen process and the quality is superb so they are a steal at $15.99.

http://speed.grabercars.com/apparel/BalaTee1.html or click on the image.

I'm building the car of my dreams...
La Bala - A Lightweight Sports Car for Street and Track
http://www.grabercars.com/
sgraber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:41 AM   #109
alco2nr
AF Newbie

To answer sgraber's question, yes I'm scratch building a car.( I'm using a view of the front as an avatar) I call it "Spare Parts" because that's what it mostly consists of. The chassis is 2x3 tubing and 11ga plate steel forming a semi-moncoque platform. The front and rear suspension and steering are from an 86 Chevette. The rear axle and front and rear brakes are from an S-10. The first engine that I used was the 1.6L OHC 4cyl from the Chevette fitted with a hand made intake mounting 4 Mikuni 30mm CV carbs and hand built headers. I recently installed a 1937 Ford V8-60 flathead. The trans is a BW T-5 5spd OD. As for the body, it consists of a combination of front and rear fenders from a 1955 Studebaker pickup, part of the roof panel from a 1947 Nash coupe(trunk lid) , a wheel barrow tub (radiator shell), and hand formed 20ga sheet metal. The design concept was to replicate an early 50s British or Italian 2seat sports roadster as closely as possible while using American auto components and other materials ready to hand. I have been working on it off and on for about 5yrs. It is currently in drivable condition but is not ready for safety inspection and registration. The metal work is nearing completion and then it will be on to surface prep, painting, wiring, interior and final assembly. The car is actually a toy meant for cruise nights and pleasure driving which resembles a full blown competition sports roadster( Which it looks and sounds like) The 135cid flathead is completely stock with only minor additions such as a bigger Stromburg 2bbl carb, electric fuel pump, alternator and microgroove belt drive. The hand built stainless steel headers and 3" side pipes give a VERY throaty exhaust note. I also left out any gaskets when building the headers. This allows a bit of oxygen into the exhaust system which combined with a slightly over rich mixture from the carb makes a very nifty display of flames on de-acceleration. My total cost up to this point is way under $5000. It's built entirely from stock production components, rides and handles beautifully and is absolutely impossible to drive with a straight face! I will be posting an album of the car as soon as I can figure out how to do it. So far I haven't been able to access the control panel. By the way, that's a very beautiful car, sgraber! Being on a similar road I can appreciate the amount of effort behind you! Well done!
alco2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:18 PM   #110
Alpine12PDX
AF Newbie

Dose someone have the Chassis Plans and parts list for the La Bala so I don't have to pay $99.
Alpine12PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:13 PM   #111
mmcleo11
AF Regular

If your wallet is too tight to spend $99 on chassis plans and a parts list, then you should not be building your own car

Smashed Black VY SS Ute
The workhorse...
Twin turbo 5.7L LS1
Boyd Coddington 19" Turbine Wheels
AP Racing 4 Piston Brakes
Tein Coil over Suspension
HKS EVC 6 Boost Controller
PLX Devices DM-200 OBDII
Custom Front Mount Intercooler
mmcleo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:15 PM   #112
mmcleo11
AF Regular

The Nissan VQ35DE engine and 6 speed HLSD can be bought for under $1800 with less than 50,000miles. I am current putting out over 300Hp@wheels from my VQ35 engine on E85 pump fuel with 12.7:1 compression and Tomei Procams

I think this engine would be fantastic in any light MR chassis car

Smashed Black VY SS Ute
The workhorse...
Twin turbo 5.7L LS1
Boyd Coddington 19" Turbine Wheels
AP Racing 4 Piston Brakes
Tein Coil over Suspension
HKS EVC 6 Boost Controller
PLX Devices DM-200 OBDII
Custom Front Mount Intercooler
mmcleo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:38 PM   #113
Alpine12PDX
AF Newbie

Why should I spend $99 to find out about a $25,000 or $30,000 car that I mite buy that has NO crash test ratings or NO road rules or unbiased videos that should be lake this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWHgXxD3Zzg
and that are not all posted buy the maker of the car.
I can't find a 1/4 mi time ether.
There is NO videos of the car doing work compared to others lake
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flZbd...eature=related
$99 is a lot to throw away for a car that could be vary unsafe or above the 13.00 sec 1/4 mi with it weight.
Alpine12PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:13 AM   #114
umeshseo
Banned

hi nice one, its look like a spot car and colour is also good. i like its.
umeshseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:40 PM   #115
track
AF Newbie

My son and I want to build a tubular frame car similar in style to the Ariel Atom. I'm currently learning welding, my son does MIG, which I've learned. I'm moving on to TIG and stick welding. Next will be fabrication. We both need to find help with design and frame building. We have a donor car, a 94 Civic DX. We will keep the engine and necessary components for operation of the engine but want to know if we can use the Del Sol rear wheel drive train and 5 speed manual transmission. I've searched and searched the Internet for anyone who has done a similar project. I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who can lend us a hand.
track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:40 PM   #116
sgraber
AF Newbie

I've started building a removable hardtop for the La Bala. It is a 3-piece design with a permanently mounted rollbar center section, a hinged and removable front section, and a side panels piece that attaches to the rear clamshell. That hinges open with the rear clamshell to access the engine compartment and rear suspension adjustments.

Here is a youtube video showing my progress:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejhnm5NXCHE

Adding the hardtop option along with my new lambo doors option (that is also in development) means that the car can have a/c and a heater and will be weatherproof for all season driving.

I now have builders in California, Utah, Ohio, Indiana, North Carolina, Tennessee, Australia, Belgium, Australia, New Zealand, and more! 3 cars are finished, one all electric, one Toyota powered and one Ecotec SS powered. And a host of others are under construction. Check out the next issue of Kit Car Builder Magazine...

I would welcome anyone in the Phoenix area that wants to see my car to contact me, and if the weather conditions are good we can go for a drive. You can see for yourself that this car is as fast as any Vette or Porsche, more comfortable in ride quality than a Viper and total blast to drive. It snaps necks both in and out of the car.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:39 AM   #117
dheik93
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to dheik93

Hi, my name is Dylan. I am 16 and own a 1970 vw bug, but knowing me and liking to build things i had the idea to build a car from scratch. The car you made is very nice, but im looking to make a replica of a Lamborghini Murcielago. I need a place to start. Can someone help me on what i need to build first? Thank you.
dheik93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:00 PM   #118
muttnutt
AF Newbie

how about this one? m151a2 components 4 cyl,4speed,4x4,4 wheel independent suspension 24 volt waterproof ignition,snorkle,coments are welcome
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buggy nights 428.jpg (104.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg buggy nights 436.jpg (99.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg jeepnutt 002.jpg (100.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg new mutt nuut 005.jpg (102.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg new mutt nuut 008.jpg (99.3 KB, 1 views)
muttnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:38 AM   #119
fattyjuggalo
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to fattyjuggalo Send a message via Yahoo to fattyjuggalo

ok, i know im a little late on this but im really hoping i get a response...but i have a 1991 mustang that i am looking to use for body parts or a "base" and i have a 351 windsor and a c4 automatic. but anyways im tired of having cars that look like everyone else's! so im lookin to build something kinda different taking ideas from all of my favorite cars so that i have a totally legit, one-of-a-kind car that fits my unique personality...problem is, where do i start and is there any way i could make a car that is awd using that tranny or do i have to make it 4 wheel drive? ive got nothing but time. please someone help me with my dream!
fattyjuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:31 AM   #120
sgraber
AF Newbie

If you started this thread by reading from the beginning you will see the progress that I have made over the years from designing and building the car in my garage, building it from scratch, getting into the magazines and today I am announcing that I will be attending the Nations largest Import-Kit/Replicar show in the nation as a manufacturer!

This show is happening Carlisle Pennsylvania on May 21-23, 2010 and I will be in booths DA-5 and DA-6, which is a covered pavillion on the west side of the grounds.

If you are on the east coast this is your chance to see thousands of import, kit and replicars as well as shop one of the largest import flea markets in the world. The Carlisle website for this event is here: http://www.carlisleevents.com/ce/events/import/

Thanks and I hope to see you there!

Steve Graber - GRABERCARS

FYI - Some lucky person interested in purchasing a Grabercars La Bala Kit will have the opportunity for a ride-along on the autocross course with Captain Jim and his supercharged 260HP, 1,500lb mid-engine La Bala!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Other Cars