Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 10:15 AM   #1
DetroitRobbie
AF Newbie

97 Lumina Intermittently Won't Crank With New Starter

Background: I have a 1997 Chevy Lumina with 35k miles on it (grandma didn't drive it a lot). When I took ownership of the car I had to do some work on it because it sat so much. The coolant system was completely flushed out and refilled along with the brake fluid and the lower intake manifold gasket was replaced - these were all done by a GM dealer. I have recently replaced the spark plugs, camshaft position sensor and starter motor myself.

Back in October when we first started getting really frigid morning temps I experienced an issue with the car. I turned the key and nothing would happen, the radio would turn on and all the lights but no crank or anything. I tested the battery and it seemed ok (i dont recall the exact volts but it was over 12). I closed my hood and tried the key again and it started up. With some reading online I figured it might be the starter solenoid locking up, I figured this sounded plausible since it was so old so I replaced it and everything was fine...Until today. This morning we randomly had a break in the weather and instead of being high 20s low 30s it was over 40. I went outside and turned the key and nothing, just like before. I opened the hood and took a screw drier and tapped on the starter housing and tried to turn the key again and it started right up.

Could it be something other than the starter? It seems unlikely (although possible) that the brand new starter I got is in fact, faulty. I'm not sure how old the battery is in all honesty so I'll probably go have that tested in the mean time just to eliminate that but if anyone else has any thoughts I'd really appreciate it!
DetroitRobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:47 PM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: 97 Lumina Intermittently Won't Crank With New Starter

If tapping on the starter caused it to start then to me it sounds like a faulty starter.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:59 PM   #3
Tech II
AF Fanatic

If battery connections and starter connections are clean/tight, I am leaning towards the starter.......remember, it is not NEW, it's a REBUILD!
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:51 AM   #4
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

To be absolutely certain- next time you are in "no-start" condition- have assistant hold key in start position- and you tap on starter- if it starts- then definitely the starter is bad- armature is not centered properly in brushes- just like a worn out starter where bushings allow armature to go off center. It actually may "wear-in" and get better- but that is a crap-shoot- depends on your luck--

If it were mine, (I have remote starts installed) I can tap on it by myself- but everyone looks at me funny in the parking lots while I do it--

I'd take starter back and get a new one- never rebuilt....
'99 GMC Yukon
'95 Chev 3500, 454 Dually Crew Cab- 145k miles-
Wife's Camel trailer puller.
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'94 Firebird Formula- 5.7L 180k miles- gone-
'92 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8L 264k
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
'87 Buick Park Ave . 187k
'86 Buick Park Ave 3.8L 199k miles- gone
'77 Chevy Vega- 2.5L 175k miles gone but not forgotten
'68 Camaro 396 4 spd RS/SS -72k miles-
brcidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:19 AM   #5
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast

Considering that "new replacement" starters are almost universally made in China, I'd MUCH rather have a competently-rebuilt starter than a typical aftermarket "new" starter.

Cheap rebuilt starters and alternators have a bad reputation. Properly-rebuilt equipment shares the bad reputation, but not the bad quality.

In my driveway, I'd hang a test light on the starter "S" terminal, and turn the key. If it lights and the starter doesn't crank, the solenoid or the starter is bad. If it doesn't light when the key is turned, it's in the ignition switch, a neutral- or clutch-safety switch, or somewhere in the harness.
For the good of the Free World, DEMAND COMPENSATION FROM CHINA for their release of the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Laboratory, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19). Ten trillion to start with, increasing as needed from there, PLUS compensation for the sickened, and "wrongful death" settlements for the families of those who didn't survive. END trade with Communist China.
Schurkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:40 AM   #6
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Only problem is, we live in the lowest price society...

Go to any parts store, and they can give you options on prices, and most people take the lowest one.....

But even the higher priced ones are no guarantee......anytime anything is rebuilt, it becomes a crap shoot.....

Always make sure whatever you buy, has a decent warranty, to cover a possible problem...

Starters and alternators....you have no idea of what the quality of the rebuild is.....you luck out, if the R&R is easy.....i.e., some alternators you can replace in 5 minutes, like one on a GM 3.8 motor......but something like a GM 3.4 double overhead cam engine, will take you over two hours, and the swearing begins when the replacement doesn't even charge......believe me, it happens.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 03:48 PM   #7
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech II View Post
Starters and alternators....you have no idea of what the quality of the rebuild is.....you luck out, if the R&R is easy.....i.e., some alternators you can replace in 5 minutes, like one on a GM 3.8 motor......but something like a GM 3.4 double overhead cam engine, will take you over two hours, and the swearing begins when the replacement doesn't even charge......believe me, it happens.....
...which is why I have them tested by the seller before I leave the store. That doesn't guarantee durability, but it does eliminate DOA complaints.

All the major chains, along with independent (local) rebuilders will have the equipment to bench-test starters 'n' alternators.
For the good of the Free World, DEMAND COMPENSATION FROM CHINA for their release of the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Laboratory, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19). Ten trillion to start with, increasing as needed from there, PLUS compensation for the sickened, and "wrongful death" settlements for the families of those who didn't survive. END trade with Communist China.
Schurkey is online now   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
1997 , crank , lumina , starter
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina