Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:33 PM   #1
richiesmyth
AF Newbie

1967 chevelle lemon

I purchased a 67 chevelle 2 weeks ago from the muscle car garage in wayne ,n.j. The car made it from the dealer to the mechanic were i was told i had a rod knock and crank bearings that were shot. We called the dealer and told him to come down and see for himself and he said he believed us but there was nothing he could do. Some people have no business ethics and are penny smart dollar foolish. I went to see him in person to see if he would meet me half way since i had the car 20 minutes and i have a 4500 dollar motor job. All i got was double talk. My goal is to prevent him from screwing other people and i heard from other sources he does this. Let the buyer beware, he stated how the car was perfect. My first step is to report him to motor vehicle because he jumped title on the car , oh he does that to, to avoid the fees.Any more ideas , please let me know.

Richie
richiesmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:11 AM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: 1967 chevelle lemon

Small claims court with a lawyer or file a complaint with the attn'y gen'ls office for fraud or misrepresentation, depending on the verbal promises or bill of sale. In the future get a pro to look at any future purchase.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:23 PM   #3
richiesmyth
AF Newbie

Thanks for your advice . I did have a mechanic look at it. Anyway the squeeky wheel gets the oil. Small claims is just the begining , his life is now going to get very difficult , and i have made this priority my second job , thanks again.

Richie
Old 05-20-2008, 08:10 PM   #4
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

I am sorry to hear about the problem.

$4500 is a LOT of money to repair the engine's bearings and crank. Are you getting an entire rebuild? If you are the dealer can always claim you are going above and beyond the repairs necessary and are getting a full rebuild, to which he may claim you are not entitled. You may just be awarded the bearing and crank portion of the rebuild.

IMO unless you are certain to win, shop around. $4500 is about twice what you need to spend.

Good Luck.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:51 AM   #5
bobss396
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to bobss396

I know that in NJ cars over a certain price (if they are sold as used and not salvage or junk) have to meet minimum requirements, such as an engine with "no knocks" just to name one.

Follow it up with a call to your local State Trooper barracks, they oversee almost anything in NJ that involves a motor vehicle, from auto racing to auctions.

Try to get some satisfaction legally first. Or wait a few months and do something else. Most businesses tend to be underinsured for arson.

Bob
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:49 PM   #6
richiesmyth
AF Newbie

my reply to cats on line . im glad you had a nice experince at muscle car garage. i didnot however. I have no reason to make it up, thats what happened. It is unfornuate because i would have continued business with muscle car garage. I own several muscle cars now. and for whats its worth i still own the chevelle and it is my favorite and it turns heads. He does have some nice stuff in there.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #7
maxwedge
A990 racer

Ok, 2 years later ,what happened??
Old 09-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #8
richiesmyth
AF Newbie

hey max wedge . thanks for your reply back then. Ijust responded to someone defending muscle car garage. Its water under the bridge , and we learn from our mistakes , i still own the car, and sometimes when you buy an old car shit happens unfornutaley for me i only had the car 3o minutes but with no warranty its your problem unless the owner wants to do the right thing.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars