Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
ellev8or
AF Regular

67 Bonneville Front End

67 Pontiac Bonneville
I've had since 2006. Only 55,000 original miles. Purchased in TX and drove it to AZ with no problem. Since the move I've taken the factory rims (14in) off and installed 15in rims and new tires. With these new rims I've been trying to break in and get the car used to them. Prior to changing the tires I had an estimate of repairs done at Midas and learned that the complete front end needs to be done. Since the new rims and tires there's a sound and feeling of grinding and rubbing at the front end move I move the car. It's not the type of grinding like brakes but barely heard and more felt. Since then I only drive it at 25 mph. It's more of a rough rubbing than a grinding sound. Even when I move the car slowly, going straight, I can still feel and hear it but it's more noticeable when you're going faster (25mph). It seems the faster I go you can't hear or feel it.
Could this be the wheel bearings, is it a multitude of things like Midas said? What should I do?

Your expertise is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
ellev8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: 67 Bonneville Front End

From here we cannot diagnsoe this noise, right?, look for something rubbing against the tires first, then you are into wheel bearing or brake issues.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: 67 Bonneville Front End

Don't trust Midas. They tend to 'oversell' their parts, because they make money on them. Even the mechanic working on the car sometimes gets a cut of the parts.

Midas may be telling the truth, but you need a second, unbiased opinion. It is easy for you to check-out the front end of your car yourself, with some basic tools and some knowlege.

You need to look at the ball joints, wheel bearings, brakes, tie rod ends, drag link and pitman arm. Go to YouTube and type in "How to check ball joints" (or brakes, tie rod ends, etc) and you will get lots of how-to videos.

Just remember your car has both upper and lower ball joints, both of which need to be checked.

It's best to get a second opinion from an expert, but at least the videos will give you some knowlege about what to look for. Find a good independant mechanic (NOT a chain store like Midas, Goodwrench, etc). Speak to friends and neighbours and see who they recommend. Have the mechanic SHOW you the excess play or movement in the worn parts before having any work done.

FWIW, older cars seem to have front ends that wear out faster than newer cars. 55,000 miles results in little wear on newer cars, but old ones show much more wear, in my experience.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars