Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Montero/Shogun/Pajero
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
dantheman10
AF Newbie

Re: Montero XLS 2001 ABS Grinding/Screeching Problem

Sorry, I think my last post might have been rather confusing, here is videos of the problem:

Noise from engine when pressing on brake pedal:

http://youtu.be/oTIzFqgxJs4

An interior view on what happens when I press on brake pedal:

http://youtu.be/kpGB_Y083a0

This is what happens when I simultaneously press on the brake pedal:

http://youtu.be/FSvuG4v3_qc

This is the cylinder that rattles when I brake, I'm assuming this is where the noise is coming from:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83ma_eyS9Kg

-If anyone can let me know how much it cost to fix this problem, I would highly appreciate it, thank you!
dantheman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
mudduck67
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Montero XLS 2001 ABS Grinding/Screeching Problem

I just strarted having that barking noise, it is the hydrualic break accumbulator. It was replace on my montero in 2001 and now 12 years later i needed a new one. It screws on and off like a light bulb. Rap a towel around the base before unscrewing it to keep the break fluid from wasting on other thing. Remember to pump breaks 40x or more before removel to get all fluid out of the accumbulator first. I had no noise afterwards problem fixed, cost $163.00 tax included from the dealership.
mudduck67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 02:51 PM   #3
tdennehy
AF Newbie

Re: Montero XLS 2001 ABS Grinding/Screeching Problem

This solution worked for me. EXACTLY. Do just what DanTheMan said to do. Go to dealer and buy brake accumulator. About the size of a baseball/softball. It screws in/out, just like a lightbulb.

I got a quote from a shop that said they wanted to replace the ABS computer AND the brake booster for 2,160 dollars. They were quoting the booster as 500 dollars and three hours labor.

It took me 20 minutes to drive to the dealer, 10 minutes to buy it, and 20 minutes to drive back. Then took 15 minutes, START TO FINISH to do the work.

It then took an additional 30 minutes for me to drive to the shop and show them what I did, and how much it cost me for the part. Let's just say the politely thanked me for the "update", however we both know I was going to get taken for a ride.

Dan - I would gladly send you $50 dollars via PayPal for the great videos. Thanks a lot, brother!
tdennehy is offline   Reply With Quote