Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Dealer Experiences
Dealer Experiences If you want to brag or complain about the deal or the service you got, this is the place.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 03:43 PM   #16
kathygarnerville
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to kathygarnerville Send a message via Yahoo to kathygarnerville
Thumbs down Sexist question

I happen to think that not just women should know things about cars, but men also. I know plenty of men who know little about cars, and women who know alot.

It's sexist to ask that type of question. There are two genders in our world. Get used to it. When I heard from the owner of Jim Smith Chevrolet, when he heard about my experiences with his dealership, and service department, he asked, "You mean it wasn't helpful that a woman service rep was behind the counter?"

Anyone, male or female, who owns are car should know the basics, from how to change a flat, to oil changes, and tips on emergency fixes to get you to the nearest safe spot to wait for help, or nearest service station.

What gender a person is, shouldn't reflect their knowledge. Otherwise, maybe we should suggest that men should know more about expressing their emotions, using maxi pads and tampons, how to do laundry, cook, and clean, and all the other "woman stuff" men assume we do.

Kathy
Garnerville, NY

www.rocklandcjd.com
kathygarnerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:12 PM   #17
Lyric1212
AF Newbie

Re: What do women need to know about cars??

The men who say that women don't need to know should think about this. Imagine that your sister, daughter, or mother was driving and she saw steam coming from under the hood. She(a) pulls over on this deserted stretch of road and pops the hood only to see that a hose has come loose and she is losing coolant, being knowledgeable and somewhat prepared she quickly attaches the hose to its proper port and then adds some water from her "kit" to the reservoir and continues along keeping an eye on her temp gauge (b) pulls over and pops the hood, knowing nothing about cars uses her sweater to remove the radiator cap, severely burning herself and successfully depleting the car of the rest of the coolant (c) she uses her sexy leg technique to attract some creepy pervert and jumps into his rv with him.
which scenario is the best option for someone you care about? maybe they should be at least a little informed....
Lyric1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:52 AM   #18
CapriRacer
AF Enthusiast

I think THEE most important thing for anyone to know about cars is: That they don't know much about cars. Do not pretend you know about them if you don't.

Use your common sense when told what the problem is. Blinker fluid? Be skeptical about things that you've never heard of.

Seek second opinions.

Go to trusted sources and don't believe everything you hear.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:19 AM   #19
stream
AF Newbie

I agree with Kathy - Garnerville - jeeze how sexist! Many of us women Know quite a bit about cars and it is not your gender that matterws - guys are not born knowing how to rebuild an engine - wow
and you auto part guys quit sending women home with the wrong part so she has to go back - wow how mean and crappy is that?

I teach my kids to drive and how to check their fluids, change flats, oil changes and other car tips so they can keep going
stream is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Dealer Experiences