Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Dealer Experiences
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Dealer Experiences If you want to brag or complain about the deal or the service you got, this is the place.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 01:01 PM   #1
crzyCollegeKid
AF Regular

CarMax secrets...shhh...its [CLASSIFIED]

i called carmax to find out what maintenance the car had done to it right before i bought it. you know, see what belts they had changed (i.e. timing belt, etc), so i wouldn't have to spend extra time inspecting it all and finding out what i needed (even though i should anyways). so i call them and ask them for records. they tell me they don't keep the records of the previous owners (no shit!), i told them i wanted the records of when THEY owned the car. their simple answer: "those are classified and i can't give them to you", my response "i bought the damn car, i want to know", "i'm sorry".

shouldn't that be illegal?? you ask for records and they don't give them to you?? i sure wish i would've asked for them before i bought the car and laughed in their face when they said that.....oh well...you live and you learn.

Claudia (traded-in):
2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS: Pioneer Speakers All Around, Kenwood MP3 Deck, Clarion Equalizer, Boss 4ch. 800W amp, 2 Dual 12" subs with Dual 500W amp, XM Roady2

R.I.P. Jessica
1997 Honda Prelude: AEM CAI - Exedy Full Face Organic Clutch - XACT Streetlite 12.5lb flywheel - DC Sports Short Throw Adapter
crzyCollegeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 10:52 PM   #2
kenwood guy
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to kenwood guy
Re: CarMax secrets...shhh...its [CLASSIFIED]

well .. they do belong to carmax but I can not see why they would keep them under wraps
kenwood guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 12:27 AM   #3
dazey
AF Newbie

my ex bf bought a car from car max in KCK. he got it home and i went to drive it, the steering wheel was crooked. i got to looking closer at it and the serpentine belt looked like it was ready to fall apart(probably still the original). i called them up to complain about it and they aligned it and replaced the seprentine belt for free. i was fairly happy...just didnt like the idea of having to drive 30 miles to get it done
dazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 06:25 PM   #4
H2SUT
AF Newbie

I guess there's not much you can do about it, its not like they're medical records! Hope they're not hiding anything...
H2SUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:02 AM   #5
Rally Sport
Is eating.

Send a message via AIM to Rally Sport Send a message via MSN to Rally Sport
Watch out, this means that your car can fall apart ANY SECOND!
Old 10-04-2005, 04:58 PM   #6
that0neguy
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to that0neguy

You would think they couldn't keep records on maintaining a specific vehicle if the current owner wanted them. They must have some policy that enables them to not show you the invoices of work done or records.
that0neguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 03:00 PM   #7
ted_ex
AF Regular

Carmax keeps all the records on cars. I worked there. They also are one of the shadiest companies I've ever worked for. At least at some little dealer you know they are lying, but Carmax acts like they do all kinds of inspections and service, but they don't. The only thing they always do is oil changes. A lot of times they will do air filters too. Other then that they only replace something if it is out of spec or they can't hide it. They don't do timing belts, don't fix oil leaks unless it's dripping continously, I have actually witnessed them spraying undercoating on clamp marks (frame damage) to hide it. The only good thing is if you go in and bitch if something is wrong they will fix it a lot of times. While I worked there I saw two buyers sue them for selling frame damaged cars. They were a lot better a couple years ago when they were owned by Circuit City, but things quickly went south after they became independent.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:03 PM   #8
tom3
AF Enthusiast

Every dollar they spend fixing up a used car is a dollar less profit. Get it in, get it out, buyer beware. It's the law of the land in used cars. Then you have new cars, and the warranty service is probably a worse experience than that.
tom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 02:34 PM   #9
tractorboy
AF Regular

THEY PROBABLY SPEND MORE ON POLISH THEN ANYTHING ELSE.
They are also expensive. I have seen 6 -7 year old cars that they were selling for about 70% of their originall price.
tractorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:08 PM   #10
harrymay
AF Regular

i just bought a car there and can agree that they just change the oil filter.

i got a good look under the engine bay, the serpentine belts are worn and need to be replaced. the drivers door lock isnt working, and the brakes are warped.

i knew about this before buying the car, hoping they will take care of it.

im dropping it off with them tonight, let see what happens, i have a good friend who is a lawyer.

Mooninites Unite! Quad Laser!!!
harrymay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 04:57 PM   #11
directory
AF Enthusiast

good luck with that.

SKYWARN

we be clubbin'

--B
directory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:20 PM   #12
pimprolla112
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to pimprolla112 Send a message via MSN to pimprolla112

I got another nice thing to add on this one if my friends has a 02 ws6, within 2 weeks of buying the car from our local carmax he ended up stripping the pinion in the rear. Come to find out the damn thing is bone dry, so he goes up to carmax to get it ficed you know payed the extra warranty and bs. Well looking at the spec sheet for the car they didnt look at the rear because who ever evaluatd the car put the drive train down as FWD turbo. So none the less who in the hell is that stupid to list a damn rwd v8 as fwd turbo.

Don't ever look at cars as just imports or domestics. Just because a car is made in a certain country doesn't mean that it is anything like another car from that country. An example of this is Mitsubishi reliability, just because they are Japanese doesn't mean that they are as reliable as a Honda or Toyota.

Cardomain
pimprolla112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:44 AM   #13
directory
AF Enthusiast

yeah, but who bought the car without looking at the spec sheet first?

SKYWARN

we be clubbin'

--B
directory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:08 PM   #14
turtlecrxsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to turtlecrxsi

Carmax usually sells cars that are traded prior to needing belt changes and servicing. I would never by a car with that many miles and pay that much for a car.... no haggle price translates to bend over and take it up the ass.

turtlecrxsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 01:49 AM   #15
pimprolla112
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to pimprolla112 Send a message via MSN to pimprolla112

Without the ky to ease the insersion, JK.

He didnt think of looking at the spec sheet since there such a great place to buy our cars, He thought twice after seeing it though. They didnt have any of that on the window sheet just a print out of the options, mileage price you the usual bs.

Don't ever look at cars as just imports or domestics. Just because a car is made in a certain country doesn't mean that it is anything like another car from that country. An example of this is Mitsubishi reliability, just because they are Japanese doesn't mean that they are as reliable as a Honda or Toyota.

Cardomain
pimprolla112 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Dealer Experiences