Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Off-Topic Talk about anything other than cars.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 05:02 PM   #1
BlackShadowTSi
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to BlackShadowTSi Send a message via MSN to BlackShadowTSi Send a message via Yahoo to BlackShadowTSi
whats the difference between the ecu and the eprom?

I have the two of them i gues cause i have a 98 tsi awd engine and a 95 gs-t engine the both of them with the complete computer managemet, so like i put in the other post i was wondering to make the swap and i need to know the difference between them, thanks
60' 1.76

Check My GS-T ==> AWD project
car's video: http://cssteam.com/gstx.wmv
At the track: http://videos.streetfire.net/video/aad4c670-6066-44d5-b6f6-c04346cb8407.htm

BlackShadowTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 05:06 PM   #2
RiceRocket18
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to RiceRocket18
Re: whats the difference between the ecu and the eprom?

eprom is a type of ecu that's configurable by using dsmlink. they come in 95 gst/gsx only (i believe). regular ecus can't.

06 Charger SRT-8 black.
RiceRocket18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 05:15 PM   #3
BlackShadowTSi
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to BlackShadowTSi Send a message via MSN to BlackShadowTSi Send a message via Yahoo to BlackShadowTSi

so the eprom is better, but basicaly have the same conectors and everything doesn't matters if the tranny is awd or fwd, cause i have the body and engine of a gs-t but the engine needs work, and in the other hand i have the engine of a tsi awd that i totaled but the engine is perfect with a 16g turbo on it, with the eprom and everything, i was asking in the other post what difficult is to make the swap and put the tsi engine in the gs-t body and keep the fwd tranny?
and other thing, i had the 16g on the tsi, but was there when i bought the car so i don't know if the last owner change the inyector, the fuel pump or something, and don't know if i have to change something of that if dicide to keep the gs-t with the original engine and put the 16g cause i know that the gs-t engine only have 1 mod and is the head it have the 1g head on it.
60' 1.76

At the track: http://videos.streetfire.net/video/aad4c670-6066-44d5-b6f6-c04346cb8407.htm

Old 06-14-2004, 06:54 PM   #4
RiceRocket18
AF Enthusiast

slow down homie!! i can't digest! eprom IS better because you can hook it up and tune it directly with dsmlink to you laptop like you see in FF1. it ONLY comes with 95 gst/gsx, therefore, FWD/AWD. you need to check the injectors and fine out what they are before you do any tunning. same as fuel pump. inproper tunning can cause damage. you have a 98tsi, thus i don't think it's a eprom. altho, you can buy one and swap it.

06 Charger SRT-8 black.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:28 AM   #5
BlackShadowTSi
AF Regular

so the ecu that is on my 95 gs-t is an eprom? right that is what you said? so is better to keep the ecu of the 95 gs-t. and about the injectors and the fuel pump, the tsi awd had the 16g installed when i bought it so i guess and i'm just guessing cause i didn't check that if was necesary to make that change the last owner made it, cause he spend a lot of money puting all good brands on the car (like greddy, etc), but otherwise the check engine light was allmost all the time on and that could be for a bad fuel managment i think. so maybe he put the turbo and he just not change nothin. ok let me know what you think.
but to be sure, if I want to put the 16g i must change the fuel pump and the injectors, i have a friend who have a set of inyector 440cc and a fuel pump, he told me that with that inyectors and fuel pump and my turbo i will be pushing 280hp at least.
he is asking 100 for the fuel pump i don't know how much for the inyectors, is that a good price?. thanks again for your time
60' 1.76

Old 06-15-2004, 01:32 AM   #6
BlackShadowTSi
AF Regular

Question Re: whats the difference between the ecu and the eprom?

as you can see and i'm not from US and my english is not perfect at all , so i'm trying to do my best with the lenguage and with the car too, to make run as good as i can
60' 1.76

Old 06-15-2004, 01:47 AM   #7
JoeWagon
Banned

All ECU's have a PROM chip. Some ECU's (like in some 1995's) have an EPROM which stands for Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory. It means that it's more versatile in a way, and it's necessary for DSMlink.
JoeWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 02:09 AM   #8
kjewer1
AF - Advisor

As much as I hate when people use bad grammar and spelling, and generally abuse the english language, its ok when its not your first language My wife is brazilian, and I'm really good and decoding broken english Dont worry about it

JoeWagon hit the nail on the head for the eprom issue. All ECUs do the same thing, but the eprom ECUs have the "intructions" for the ECU on a chip that can be reprogrammed easily. So TMO, Jeff O, DSMlink, etc can change the code and therefore affect the way the car runs, to our advantage. Like I said in the other thread, use the EPROM ECU if you have one. All EPROM ECUs are 95s, but not all 95 ECUs are EPROM

Its hard to say whats been done for the fuel system. Stock injectors are 440s (so dont buy 440s!), and usually have a black top. RC 550s are common, and say RC on the side of them. All FIC injectors have the size engraved on the side of the body. Yellow tops are typically 510s, and blue tops can be one type of denso 660 (the good type). The pump is tougher. You can use the vfaq (www.vfaq.com) to pull it out and check the part number against RREs page (www.roadraceengineering.com). OF course, it would be much easier if you could get a hld of the previos owner
kjewer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 02:28 AM   #9
BlackShadowTSi
AF Regular

95 GSXracer thanks for your patience, i will ask my friend tomorrow about the ineyectors but i'm almost sure that he said 440cc, he works in a place called Pacific Performance and they do a lot of race cars, almost all of them Civics, and they are plenty of parts that they take out of eclipse that were upgraded may be i can find something cheap.
About the inyectors they are black and looks pretty small, tomorrow maybe i will take them off the tsi engine to check whats the problem with the gs-t cause 1 of the inyectors is not working and this guy told me thats the only problem with the gs-t engine what means a lot of less work (swap the engine is pretty hard)
60' 1.76

Old 06-15-2004, 08:52 AM   #10
RiceRocket18
AF Enthusiast

as for your question about the pricing. yes $100 is a reasonable price. not too expensive but not too generous either.

06 Charger SRT-8 black.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:24 AM   #11
ashah000
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to ashah000

You can get a new pump for under 100
Old 06-15-2004, 01:23 PM   #12
guitarXgeek
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to guitarXgeek

Yea, you can get a brand new Walbro fuel pump from Dejon for $99.
guitarXgeek is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic