Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 02:09 PM   #196
Filthy Sanchez
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3000ways
Sorry to tell you, but it doesn't take 5 grand to get an EVO in the 12s, try more like less that $2,000. $5,000 easily puts the EVO in the 11s. Don't get me wrong, I have respect for the Camaros and Mustangs of the world just like anybody else, but don't be ignorant to the fact that the EVO is also an awesome car to tune. Besides the Camaro and Mustang are entirely different cars, only thing in common is price, if you compare the all around performance of the EVO, the Camaro and Mustangs are no match (unless your talking Saleen or etc.). The difference is the EVO is just at home on the drag strip as it is on the race track, or on the street racing scene in the United States and the rest of the world. Even in Russia they race EVOs on frozen lakes, and in the deserts of South Africa, the point is, when ever, where ever, and how ever, you want to race the EVO is ready and willing. Let's not forget the EVO has barely been around in the USA and the world for like alittle over 10 years, the Camaros and Mustangs have been around for much longer than that. So if the EVO makes it through Mitsubishi's problems, it will only get better. Also prepare for the EVO MR which costs under $35,000 and does the 1/4 Mile in the 12s stock. For your enjoyment here is a some videos of EVOs in action check it out-

http://features.evolutionm.net/article/lanevo/39/4

Sorry you missed the point. I didn't say 12s for 5 grand I said just as fast if not faster for 5 grand! Read closer. Second for what it cost to make the Evo or most other Japanese cars that fast it cost less to make an Fbody or mustang just as if not faster. There are probably 3001 ways to make that happen.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:02 PM   #197
Kurtdg19
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Kurtdg19
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

Quote:
Sorry about that too, didn't mean to push your buttons either. To answer some of your questions, such as getting the EVO into the 11s for $5k is that it has alot of aftermarket parts avialable for it and many stage upgrade packages cost anywhere from $700 to $2,200 (For stage 1) and easily get the EVO deep into the 12s. Reasons for this are the tuning abilities of the 4G63T, one the best engines to tune on the import scene. Many US DSM shops who have previously worked on the Eclipse, have gradually switched more support to the EVO which pretty much uses the same engine, just newer and better. Also if launched correctly the EVO is lethal from a stop, AWD gives it awesome traction and slightly modded EVOs that are launched correctly are achieving 60FT times from 1.6 to 1.8. You are correct on the reasons for Mitsu going with a 5-Speed instead of 6-Speed, Cost. Yet with the introduction of the EVO MR which will have the 6-Speed hopefully this will change, and eventually all EVOs sold in the USA will come standard with the 6-Speed. Well hopefully I answered some of your questions, if you have any other just ask.
Hey thanks for the info, I appreciate it .

Now as far as the SLP version of the Fbodys, they are not factory options. They are after market options offered by SLP. Factory Formula's and SS's are built in the factory and then sent to SLP to be further modified. If you want to get technical the SLP package for the formula is called a firehawk. I don't think they made a special name for the SS, just SLP SS I believe.

thats when mine starts.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:11 PM   #198
3000ways
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Sanchez
Sorry you missed the point. I didn't say 12s for 5 grand I said just as fast if not faster for 5 grand! Read closer. Second for what it cost to make the Evo or most other Japanese cars that fast it cost less to make an Fbody or mustang just as if not faster. There are probably 3001 ways to make that happen.
Sorry you missed the point also, cuz I didn't say 5 grand, I said less than 5 grand, try 2 grand. Maybe you should read closer also. Also maybe you should do alittle more research also so that you back your claims up with facts instead of just bias claims. Of course there are more FBodys at the track, the EVO has been around for how long, 2 years, how long has the Camaro and Firebird been around, um yeah that's what I thought. Give it time, just give it some time.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:01 PM   #199
3000ways
AF Enthusiast

Besides whenever the EVO is compared to the Firebird, Camaro, or Mustang, it's always 1/4 mile this and 1/4 mile that, and we can go on forever arguing about which is faster in the 1/4 mile. The point is the all around performance of the EVO8 is better than those cars, the EVO handles better, the EVO brakes better and is just as fast if not faster. Sure the Firebird is fast on a drag strip stock, but so is the EVO stock. But then again the EVO is more than just a drag car, it's a four door race car, while all I can say about the Firebird and Camaro and etc. is that they are drag cars.
Then I hear all this crap about racing from a roll, what is this? Wow, stock for stock a SS or WS6 is alittle quicker on the freeway when it comes to passing a slow big rig, wow, not impressed. The only racing from a roll that impresses me, is racing around a race track, and the EVO stock for stock wins that hands down.
I'm done with this post because we will go on forever and forever, but the EVO8 all around performance is better than the Firebird, enough said.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:20 PM   #200
Jabberwocky
AF Newbie

Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

It has more to do with how much nitrous the fbody will take. The 2 valve pushrod setup doesn't flow all that well. Nitrous overcomes this. I don't think the EVO can take that much nitrous. But having a huge 5.7 engine, ppl have regularly run 125-150 shots on it.

The camaro and the firebird are the same car. 2-3 grand will get you a supercharger and put you in the 500 hp range. And the best part is that the drivetrain can handle it. The tranny is the t56 also found in the corvette, the viper, and the cobra R. The rear end is pretty damn strong too. Beefing up everything else is the big hidden cost of adding power.

The 650 HP callaway camaro > HKS EVO. And it was a NA engine too. I think the fastest built LS1 was a 7 liter overbored ls1 with forced induction, it was around 1200 hp. The LS1 engine has just as much racing pedigree as the 4G63. The C5R 24 hour lemans engine is basically a ls1 with a bigger bore for more displacement.

I have a thing about the longevity of turbocharged engines, especially when you start turning up the boost.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:29 AM   #201
Dodgeramit
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylwsi
i don't know that callaway or lingenfelter, or even slp, count as "factory" packages.

that's like saying that a saleen mustang is a ford product, that ford makes.

it's not.

those models aren't.

again, children, camaro isn't the point of this thread. firebird is.

just b/c these companies can fall under GM's warranty program, and all that fun stuff, that doesn't mean that they're GM products, rolling off of GM assembly lines...

you won't find an SLP/callaway/lingenfelter car on GM's website.

end of story
I did post that thread before I did a little research, But I would still consider the slp package factory. You order it from the dealership and your car arrives with the package....oh well it's my opinion and we are still way off topic anyway.

I don't see why camaro's wouldn't be included. I mean the same company makes them, it's the same ls1 engine, just different body panels and the trans am has ram air.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:37 AM   #202
Filthy Sanchez
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

Quote:
Sorry you missed the point also, cuz I didn't say 5 grand, I said less than 5 grand, try 2 grand. Maybe you should read closer also. Also maybe you should do alittle more research also so that you back your claims up with facts instead of just bias claims. Of course there are more FBodys at the track, the EVO has been around for how long, 2 years, how long has the Camaro and Firebird been around, um yeah that's what I thought. Give it time, just give it some time.
Maybe you should read even closer as my point is for the same amount of money. Second my claims on any thread have been a hell of a lot less biased than anyone including you my friend. I do not claim this car or that car will destroy all that comes before it. Such as many Skyline fanatics do. All it has is time. The facts to back up my claims abound and are all around you my friend go out and find them, they lay within' the cars on the streets I'm sorry that when I watch cars race in street races it's not EVOs running the show. However maybe because you said they do it'll make it so? Go back read any of my responses then read yours and the true bias will be found in your posts not mine friend. Is that enough time for you?
Old 05-12-2004, 08:36 AM   #203
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi

a firebird could take 125hp of nitrous.
but you don't THINK an evo could...
that's the difference.
don't make claims based on something you're not sure about.

650hp callaway camaro vs. hks evo.
what's your point?
which hks evo are you talking about?
should we talk about the one with the full carbon fiber body that broke the tsukuba track record?
by alot?

how's that 650hp camaro in anything other than a straight line?

you wanna talk about how good an evo is/isn't?

one lap of america ( the cannonball race )
an evo finished 5th. ahead of quite a few f bodies and corvettes, and tube chassis cars, etc.

that includes ET drags, bracket drags, road course times, and skidpad #'s.

not a stock evo, 500hp, actually, but the other cars weren't stock either.

FYI:
the hks evo i'm referring to is AT LEAST 500hp, and would run CIRCLES around the camaro from callaway. it may not win in a straight line, b/c HKS believes in corners, but on a road course, say good bye, and get familiar with the taillights.

as an overall car, designed to do more than keep the wheels straight, i'd take an evo over an F body any day.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:38 AM   #204
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Quote:
The facts to back up my claims abound and are all around you my friend go out and find them, they lay within' the cars on the streets I'm sorry that when I watch cars race in street races it's not EVOs running the show. However maybe because you said they do it'll make it so?
they're not running the show?
that's b/c of who owns them...
and how long they've been on the market, and who has the balls to start spending tons of cash in a new car.
i'm sure, if you went to evolutionm.net, you'd find people who OWN their street racing scenes.

i've got a feeling you're running into the little kids whose rents bought them the car, or stock evos.
going against NOT stock cars.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:19 PM   #205
Filthy Sanchez
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylwsi
they're not running the show?
that's b/c of who owns them...
and how long they've been on the market, and who has the balls to start spending tons of cash in a new car.
i'm sure, if you went to evolutionm.net, you'd find people who OWN their street racing scenes.

i've got a feeling you're running into the little kids whose rents bought them the car, or stock evos.
going against NOT stock cars.

The balls to spend tons of cash is correct. My point there are good combos out there and the EVO is one, I'd take an AWD on the track anyday. Maybe you're right though every EVO I see race on the streets is stock and racing a modified Supra, Vette, Stang, Fbody etc. Every EVO I see race in the streets is driven by some dumb kid and no real men who know what they're doing drive them at all. Maybe you're right the vaunted EVO should be able to destroy everything in it's path. Maybe you're right in that Fbodies are just to damned expensive and EVOs cost mere pennies to make them dominate, hell maybe we should just forget anyone else's opinion all together and say YOU are correct. Look the EVO is a good car I actually like the WRX myself that's me but I love AWD cars especially for track use, look back on my posts you'll see that I've said the EVO on the track anyday (and you said I was biased?) To state that the EVO would own any Fbody at anytime track or strip is wrong. As I have said before what I have seen is what I have seen, these are rich kids with $$ to spend who think they're the shit with their new EVOs and they race them in street races IE drag racing and don't do all that well. I'm not even a drag racing fan, and when I build my machine it'll be for strip and street. I have a feeling that if these idiots took their EVOs out to the nearest road course they'd fair much better. That's how I feel and how I see it.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:49 PM   #206
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

so we're on the same page then...
i just said that b/c i don't want people who don't read the whole thread to think that because one person saw them "not living up to the claims" on the street, that they're a waste, and use that as uniformed ammo in a firefight.
Old 05-14-2004, 06:28 PM   #207
cody911911
AF Enthusiast

Evo's cost a bit more than a domestic Firebird.... Put camshaft, cold air intake, and exhaust on the firebird and hell you can get moving perty fast. The 0-60 shouldn't really matter either cause the firebird could waste the evo if it were allready at like 40 mph which you are probably not going to get much under in a race track. torque is what its all about anyway not ponies.
Old 05-14-2004, 06:49 PM   #208
3000ways
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody911911
Evo's cost a bit more than a domestic Firebird.... Put camshaft, cold air intake, and exhaust on the firebird and hell you can get moving perty fast. The 0-60 shouldn't really matter either cause the firebird could waste the evo if it were allready at like 40 mph which you are probably not going to get much under in a race track. torque is what its all about anyway not ponies.
So your saying a Firebird will smoke an EVO at a race track, stop smoking crack son! The EVOs not slow from a roll either, that little 4-Cylinder traps at 103MPH and does the 1/4 mile in low 13s. It's all around performance is superior. A great car doesn't just go fast straight, a great car does that and then some (EVO). I'm not saying the Firebird's all around performance sucks, cuz it doesn't, it's just not on par with the EVO.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:18 AM   #209
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

cody, that's the ricer excuse.

so, theoretically, you could take the "left over" money, and mod the firebird to KILL the evo.

come on man.

that's like saying you'd take a civic over a zo6, b/c you could use the extra to destroy the vette with your uber civic.

come on...
Old 05-16-2004, 02:51 PM   #210
Filthy Sanchez
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

Quote:
So your saying a Firebird will smoke an EVO at a race track, stop smoking crack son! The EVOs not slow from a roll either, that little 4-Cylinder traps at 103MPH and does the 1/4 mile in low 13s. It's all around performance is superior. A great car doesn't just go fast straight, a great car does that and then some (EVO). I'm not saying the Firebird's all around performance sucks, cuz it doesn't, it's just not on par with the EVO.
I agree with Cody that the Firebird would make a better drag car and costs less to mod than an Evo. However I agree as well that the Evo is an all around better performer.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons