Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
MsLadi
AF Newbie

New engine, has issues

Hey guys I need some help. I have a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero 2.4. I had a mechanic change out the water pump on it. needless to say i had to purchase a new engine because he timed it wrong when connecting the timing chain back on. I purchased a new engine and had another mechanic install and connect everything. I started for the first time on Friday and I smell a lot of gas. Now I am also concern with when i am driving the car runs fine but when I go to press on the brakes and come to a complete stop the car acts like it wants to kill. I have had all coils replaced, the housing unit, spark plugs and also wiring on the car replaced. the only thing i did not replace was the ignition control module. I need some help as to what could be going on. its a good car and I am about ready to give up. Please help. Thank you in advance.
MsLadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:10 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: New engine, has issues

I moved your post to a new thread since it wasn't really related to the prior thread you posted in.

If the car is idling in park and you step on the brake does it still want to stall? You might have a vacuum leak somewhere (very possible following an engine swap) and the engine is not able to support the added vacuum needed by the vacuum brake booster.

-Rod
shorod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
Tech II
AF Fanatic

New, rebuilt, or junkyard swap?
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
MsLadi
AF Newbie

Yes Its a junk yard swap and also this is happening when I place the car in park as well.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
shorod
SHO No Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLadi View Post
...this is happening when I place the car in park as well.
I'm leaning more toward a vacuum leak or an electrical issue. One thing you could try to rule out an electrical issue would be to disconnect the vacuum line to the brake booster, plug it, then step on the brake pedal with the engine running to see if the engine still stumbles when applying the brakes. If so, then the power draw of the brake lights is probably drawing down the charging system. If no, then the issue would seem to be vacuum related.

-Rod
shorod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
Tech II
AF Fanatic

I am a little confused here....

So, a mechanic installed a junkyard motor in your vehicle, and the car does not run right....

Can you give us a time frame? When he was done, and you picked up the car, did it run ok? If it did, how many days later, did the car act up?
Old 10-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
MsLadi
AF Newbie

When I picked up my car it was running horrible. He then stated to me the it would run rough for a little while. I started googling all this stuff about my car. I am currently going to have my hose changed for a vacuum leak and also check the oil pressure again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech II View Post
I am a little confused here....

So, a mechanic installed a junkyard motor in your vehicle, and the car does not run right....

Can you give us a time frame? When he was done, and you picked up the car, did it run ok? If it did, how many days later, did the car act up?
Old 10-12-2013, 07:10 AM   #8
Tech II
AF Fanatic

When I picked up my car it was running horrible. He then stated to me the it would run rough for a little while. I started googling all this stuff about my car. I am currently going to have my hose changed for a vacuum leak and also check the oil pressure again.

I assume you are a female.......it's a sad fact, that an uniformed female can be at the mercy of a garage....

It was smart of you, to go to a different mechanic to have the engine put in because the first one botched the job....

Your problem is, the second mechanic is responsible for that engine....did he order the engine? Did he give you a price in advance? Most importantly, did he give any guarantee on his work?

First off, I have my doubts about your second mechanic....cars do not run rough and get better....when any engine job is done, a good TECHNICIAN will road test the vehicle with a scan tool, making sure it is running correctly...if it isn't he has a scan tool connected to check data and check for codes....he then brings it back to the shop, and rechecks his work for leaks, anything loose /missing, etc.

THEN, it is returned to the customer....you should bring the vehicle back, and have him drive it until it gets "better".....your car I assume was running ok, except for the water pump leaking......so all those parts you replaced, were available from your old engine.....were you charged for these "new" parts?

Drive the vehicle back to him and have him fix it....

Whenever you have a major job, like an engine replacement done, ALWAYS check the warranty on the work, before it is done......

It is up to the Garage to deal with a reputable junkyard...let's say the "new" motor is no good......that garage has to pull the engine back out, get another and put it in....and the garage is responsible for the additional labor, not the customer......some garages try to pull a fast one and try to get the customer either pay additional labor, or they may say the replacement engine needs some parts...So always check the warranty and the fixed price for the job, BEFORE the job is done........

Yes you could have a vac leak....there are a number of things that can make it run rough, like a bad fuel pressure regulator, bad MAP sensor, crack in a vac line, etc.

You paid your money for the job already......but the job is not done....give him a day or two to fix it, at no cost....if he doesn't fix it or says it will cost more, than bring it to a reputable garage, have them fix it, and take him to small claims court....
Old 10-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
maxwedge
A990 racer

Thumbs up Re: New engine, has issues

Well stated, Tech11. !!
Old 10-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
MsLadi
AF Newbie

Smile Re: New engine, has issues

Tech II thank you so much. I think I will let another garage fix it and take him to small claims court. I have been back and forth to his shop and he keeps giving me the run around. Thank you all so much for replying.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero