Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '92-'95 Civic | EL | Civic Hybrid | Civic GX NGV
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 04:41 PM   #1
Mr CiviC Ex
AF Newbie

engine swap?

does anyone know if its possible to take the engine out of a 96 civic ex and replace it with maybe an acura rsx / rsx type-s ? i know its possible with an integra right?>
Mr CiviC Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 04:47 PM   #2
B16EJ1
AF Fanatic

Anything's possible with an insane amount of money, which is exactly what it would cost. B series are easier and cheaper.
B16EJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 05:29 PM   #3
Mr CiviC Ex
AF Newbie

im sorry.. b series?
(read the description under my name before u flame me)
Mr CiviC Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 07:34 PM   #4
B16EJ1
AF Fanatic

Alright. I'm going to break this down generally because I don't want to type forever. SOHC engines are D series engines ( except for the ZC of course ). DOHC are B series. By B and D series, I am reffering to the engine code or type. USDM Civic's all came w/ SOHC or D series with the exception of the Del sol VTEC and the 99-00 Civic Si which came with B16's. All Integra's came with B series. The B and D series are interchangable. The RSX and new Civic Si came out with the new K series engines which swap into the 7th gen Civics much easier than the previous gens. The K series engines cost a grip for one and two, cost even more to swap.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:37 PM   #5
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx
Yea, B16EJ1 is right. Just get a B-series engine. I'd get a B18C1 (GSR) or (if you have a grip of money to BLOW, lol) a B18C5. If you don't care about Vtec, you can get a B18B1. There's also the B16A, but I am guessing you want low end torque, since you mentioned the RSX engine. The RSX is essentually the "New style" Integra. It's still called the Honda Interga in almost every other country. The B18C1 came out of US Interga GSR's and Japanese SiR's I think (don't qoute me on the japanese one). The B18B1 is commenly called an "LS engine, it's basically in any 94 + non-gsr or type-r US integra. The B18C5 is the Type-R engine, rare and very spendy. Typucally, the LS will cost the leat, GSR 2nd, and Type-R highest. The B16A will give you good horsepower, like the others, but has less low end torque. However, if low-end torque is not your thing, then those are a good, affordable (by honda engine swap standards) engine to swap in. Thats a brief run-down on the B-series engines. Go with one of those. It would cost you an INSANE amount of money to even TRY and make the K-series RSX engine fit, and chances are unless you have bill gates as your fincail backer, its not gonna happen. Also, you could get a Type-R B18C5 for the price of the RSX type-S engine, and trust me...you won't be dissappionted with that engine (or any B-series engine).
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 03:13 PM   #6
SiRII
AF Enthusiast

the RSX Engine can fit on a '96 Civic. It's featured on a magazine. Can't remember which one.
SiRII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 04:16 PM   #7
jimmyfunk
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jimmyfunk
Quote:
Originally posted by SiRII
the RSX Engine can fit on a '96 Civic. It's featured on a magazine. Can't remember which one.
Yes you are correct...it will "fit" on a '96 Civic...if you mean it will fit in the engine bay. But if you're looking for an easy to swap bolt in engine... please just stick with the B-series. Unless, as noted above, you have an insane amount of money to do the swap. Judging by your experience (no offense intended)...swapping in the RSX engine is more work and trouble then you want to put up with.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:55 PM   #8
B16EJ1
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by B16EJ1
Anything's possible with an insane amount of money
Don't you people read??? I've seen the an RX-7 with a damn TT Supra engine in it. The point is not that you can't. The point is it's " More than you can afford pal !!!! ".
Old 06-16-2003, 02:01 PM   #9
SiRII
AF Enthusiast

You can even drop in a 2jz into a 240 sx.
SiRII is offline   Reply With Quote