Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Sentra | 200SX (USDM FWD)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 08:59 PM   #1
Darth Zavious
AF Regular

Post 1998 Nissan Sentra GSE won't start

Hello everyone! My wife's car recently stopped turning on. It looks like the battery is ok as all the lights come on just fine, but when she turns the key nothing happens. The car has 81k miles on it, recently had a tune up @ 65K miles and so I don't think it would need a tune up again.

Any suggestions? Maybe the starter? If so, where on this type of vehicle can I locate the starter?

Thanks folks!
DZ
Darth Zavious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:26 AM   #2
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1998 Nissan Sentra GSE won't start

probably the starter.

use this as a reference to the location
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...hlight=starter

Rice Police #1. dont argue with me just because you are a riceboy and/or have sand in your vagina. i am superior. and i am smarter than you. end of story.
slideways... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:22 PM   #3
JerodKing
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to JerodKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Zavious
Hello everyone! My wife's car recently stopped turning on. It looks like the battery is ok as all the lights come on just fine, but when she turns the key nothing happens. The car has 81k miles on it, recently had a tune up @ 65K miles and so I don't think it would need a tune up again.

Any suggestions? Maybe the starter? If so, where on this type of vehicle can I locate the starter?

Thanks folks!
DZ
What does it sound like?
JerodKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:44 PM   #4
nismo_pilot
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to nismo_pilot

if it is the ga16de you are in for some fun, it is in between the motor and tranny and above the axle on the pass side, you have to stick your arm halfway up the engine bay to get to it, you also have to disconect a clip on harness that controls the starter relay, all in all a big pain in the ass
nismo_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:36 AM   #5
Darth Zavious
AF Regular

Hi guys! TY all for your replies. I'm sorry, but I might have a false alarm here w/suggesting the starter as the root cause of the problem. I used my booster cables yesterday and the damm car started right up. So now I am looking at a bad battery or possibly a bad alternator.

TY all though.
DZ
Old 04-12-2006, 04:09 PM   #6
nismo_pilot
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to nismo_pilot

np, youre glad you didnt have to replace the starter, you just dont know how much yet
nismo_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:38 AM   #7
Chiquae07
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Chiquae07 Send a message via MSN to Chiquae07

it'll be the battery im sure of it. same thing happened to me since i left my lights on one day. it was able to get a jump, but then in about 3 days after you jump it, the car wont start at all. if that happens, its definetly the battery.

For those 9 seconds it takes me to reach 60mph, will be the most fun ill have in this car.
Chiquae07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:48 AM   #8
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

^^^^agreed. take your battery into your local checker/kragen and have them test it. just to be sure. but im pretty sure it sounds like your battery. hopefully its not something stupid like your + cable going to the starter is corroded. any electrical issues theres a chance its just wiring problems

Rice Police #1. dont argue with me just because you are a riceboy and/or have sand in your vagina. i am superior. and i am smarter than you. end of story.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:29 PM   #9
Darth Zavious
AF Regular

What's up Gents!? Well, I had the battery checked and they're telling the battery is fine and fully charged. I decided to put the battery back on the car, turned the key and the car started up just fine. I decided to leave it running for a few minutes and then turned it off. Well, I went to turn it back on again and the sucker is doing the same thing. I turn the key, I see all the lights on my dash turn on display, but nothing happens.

I guess I'm going to check for corrosion in the cables, but at first look, the cables look ok. Maybe the alternator?

Well, back to the drawing board.

TY Gents!
DZ
Old 04-13-2006, 02:09 PM   #10
Chiquae07
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Chiquae07 Send a message via MSN to Chiquae07

if the engine doesn't even try to turn over, it has to be the battery. take the whole car to the local autozone and have them check it for you. costs you nothing if u can get it over there. im sure they will let you connect a new battery to the car and see if it starts.

if your gonna check to cables, remember the firing order and take them off 1 at a time. just unplug from the spark plug and look inside it. that should tell upu if there is some corrosion at least.

For those 9 seconds it takes me to reach 60mph, will be the most fun ill have in this car.
Chiquae07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:19 PM   #11
JerodKing
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to JerodKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Zavious
What's up Gents!? Well, I had the battery checked and they're telling the battery is fine and fully charged. I decided to put the battery back on the car, turned the key and the car started up just fine. I decided to leave it running for a few minutes and then turned it off. Well, I went to turn it back on again and the sucker is doing the same thing. I turn the key, I see all the lights on my dash turn on display, but nothing happens.

I guess I'm going to check for corrosion in the cables, but at first look, the cables look ok. Maybe the alternator?

Well, back to the drawing board.

TY Gents!
DZ

Sounds to me just like what happened when my girlfriend's 92 Sentra's alternator bit it. Lights work but won't turn over. If the battery was the problem you wouldn't get lights or at least they would be severely dimmed. We got an alternator from Autozone with a lifetime warranty for 80 bucks when I gave them back her old one, though I hear they don't last very long (she's had it for 6 months "crosses fingers"). Not a hard fix, took maybe 30 minutes, just a tight space for me (6'4" tall) and I had to fight with it to get it out past the fans, but newer Sentra's are a bit bigger, so this might not be such a problem now.
JerodKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:38 AM   #12
Darth Zavious
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerodKing
Sounds to me just like what happened when my girlfriend's 92 Sentra's alternator bit it. Lights work but won't turn over. If the battery was the problem you wouldn't get lights or at least they would be severely dimmed. We got an alternator from Autozone with a lifetime warranty for 80 bucks when I gave them back her old one, though I hear they don't last very long (she's had it for 6 months "crosses fingers"). Not a hard fix, took maybe 30 minutes, just a tight space for me (6'4" tall) and I had to fight with it to get it out past the fans, but newer Sentra's are a bit bigger, so this might not be such a problem now.
Yeah, I think the alternator is causing the issue. I had the battery rechecked and it tested good. I will have to go out and buy one sometime this week.

Thanks for your input.

DZ
Old 06-14-2006, 04:45 PM   #13
pgumby68
AF Newbie

I had the same thing on my 96 GXE. It was the starter. Actually I believe it was the solenoid, but they are an assembly when you buy a new one, so I replaced the assembly and everything has been fine. Six months and going strong.
pgumby68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:49 PM   #14
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

it almost sounds like a bad connection in the starter relay or ignition switch...

Old 06-14-2006, 09:59 PM   #15
sapofrog
AF Newbie

Can you help.....we have a 92 Sentra....replaced battery, alternator, and then the fuel filter. If you wait for a day it will start and then after a couple of miles it dies and won't start...does anyone have any ideas what this could be?????
sapofrog is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Sentra | 200SX (USDM FWD)