Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 06:20 PM   #16
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

Re: Best Sound Proofing Material?

yeah, I agree with everything Silver said pretty much

The doors are normally the biggest problem area, and depending on how much bass you have the trunk lid (I'm not an suv person, don't know what to call it, haha) can rattle pretty badly. Seal up the doors first and foremost, I would do atleast 2 layers if you want to get the most out of your speakers. Doing the trunk and floor (guess it's all pretty much one thing in a cherokee) can really help eliminate road noise and keep it quieter inside, this is especially helpful if you have a loud exhaust or loud tires. Doing the roof will cut back on how loud rain is, it can also get rid of a bit of wind noise.

The amount you do depends on your budget and how quiet you want it to be, I would definately do atleast a layer on the door skin and 2 layers on the door panel to start out with. I forgot which sub(s) you're getting, but I think I remember they're pretty large, so the trunk lid is probably a good idea as well. After that it's just up to you. I would start out with 50sqft and see how far it gets you.

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
sr20de4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 09:28 PM   #17
SilverJLEclipse
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to SilverJLEclipse Send a message via Yahoo to SilverJLEclipse

oh yea, license plate too please! nothing is more annoying than a license plate that hits harder and louder than your subs! i believe ghetto is appropriate for this situation
SilverJLEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 04:35 PM   #18
amdsoldier
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Best Sound Proofing Material?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverJLEclipse
there are many different ways to install with regards to coverage. The first and easiest would be to hit the problem areas with minimal coverage, mainly doors and the speaker mounting surface. From there you can add to your liking or budget. I think most will agree that sealing up the doors completely will increase midbass response. Floor and firewall application will help to reduce road noise. I also use expanding foam to fill the void in the areas where deadening material cannot be applied. Good luck.
Yeah can you tell me a little more about that expanding foam? It sounds like what I may just be looking for in terms of filling up that hollow space where the rear speakers used to go in my Eclipse.

Also what about the discount guys, I didn't hear anyone mention it yet...
amdsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 04:56 PM   #19
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Best Sound Proofing Material?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdsoldier
Also what about the discount guys, I didn't hear anyone mention it yet...

email service@secondskinaudio.com and mention you're a member of automotive forums and you heard about some kind of member's discount. He'll also be able to help you with any deadening questions you have, whether you go with his stuff or not.

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
sr20de4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 10:21 PM   #20
SilverJLEclipse
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to SilverJLEclipse Send a message via Yahoo to SilverJLEclipse

the expanding foam can be found in smaller quantities at home improvement stores or larger amounts of expanding mix and pour polyurethane foam. just do a google on it!
SilverJLEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:24 PM   #21
explore4days
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to explore4days Send a message via Yahoo to explore4days

Thanks for all the great information. Not sure if it's too late to revive. Now that my 1 owner 2000 Tacoma Xcab is needing things replaced, my sound system needs total replacement. To start with I'm looking for the best soundproofing material to reduce the current loud road noise, and improve base/ sound levels. I've decided to do the entire interior to make traveling quieter, also some heat reflection would be nice.
All surfaces will have something over it up to the cab's floor carpet, so it must accommodate the standard interior trim.
What would you recommend on a budget SS?
explore4days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:11 AM   #22
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD

I really have not kept up with the latest sound deadening stuff, I would do a heavy google search
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:08 PM   #23
BentleyRussell40
AF Newbie

Use carpet underlay to absorb sound, it's super cheap. IF you are trying to change the resonant frequency of metal panels, anything you can stick to them to add mass will do the trick. Don't spend a fortune on stuff like dynamat, go to home depot.
BentleyRussell40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:07 AM   #24
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentleyRussell40 View Post
Don't spend a fortune on stuff like dynamat, go to home depot.
Be careful with HD type stuff, its asphalt based
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio