Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Legend | RL
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 12:33 AM   #1
henpike
AF Newbie

Unhappy 1990 Legend....Starting Issues

I am a happy owner of a 1990 Acura Legend. I've had the car now for 7 years. It currently has 150 thousand on it. Mechanically it runs well. Recently though the car has had been giving me some starting issues. It will start fine for days and days on end but then all of a sudden I'll get in the car amd it will not start. It does this randomly. Like as if the battery is dead but its not ! There are lights, chimes, radio, fan, everything works but when I go to turn the ignition.....NOTHING like if its a stone cold dead battery. I have had a mechanic test my battery and alternator and they seem fine. I had the starter replaced 2 years ago. It may have been a rebuilt starter, I dont know if it was brand new. In order to get me going again, I usually have to have someone come by and jump me with cables . Then there was a time when I went back inside my house came out 20 minutes later turned the key and it started ! Have no clue how or why. I dont know what the hell could be causing this but its very frustrating and aggravating. Its a risk everytime I drive the car somewhere as I dont know if it will start when I get back in it ! Anybody out there have any suggestions or ideas or has ever heard of this problem ? Any help would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks !
henpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:21 AM   #2
kidwolk
AF Newbie

Starting Issues

You are not terminally unique...I have the same exact problem with my 1990 Legend L Coupe with 145K. Please let me know, if you hear of any fixes to this unfortunate condition. Thanks
kidwolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 04:54 PM   #3
henpike
AF Newbie

Believe it or not, I changed the battery and so far it seems to be OK. My alternator was tested and it seemed to be putting out plenty. Start wit hthe cheap stuff then work your way up. Battery will be you first choice. Could have a bad termainal or something. How old is the battery. Mine was 4 years old. Purchased s Sears Gold die hard 75 dollars. Ok then, hope this helps !
henpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 08:48 PM   #4
asadkhan25
AF Newbie

Re: 1990 Legend....Starting Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by henpike
I am a happy owner of a 1990 Acura Legend. I've had the car now for 7 years. It currently has 150 thousand on it. Mechanically it runs well. Recently though the car has had been giving me some starting issues. It will start fine for days and days on end but then all of a sudden I'll get in the car amd it will not start. It does this randomly. Like as if the battery is dead but its not ! There are lights, chimes, radio, fan, everything works but when I go to turn the ignition.....NOTHING like if its a stone cold dead battery. I have had a mechanic test my battery and alternator and they seem fine. I had the starter replaced 2 years ago. It may have been a rebuilt starter, I dont know if it was brand new. In order to get me going again, I usually have to have someone come by and jump me with cables . Then there was a time when I went back inside my house came out 20 minutes later turned the key and it started ! Have no clue how or why. I dont know what the hell could be causing this but its very frustrating and aggravating. Its a risk everytime I drive the car somewhere as I dont know if it will start when I get back in it ! Anybody out there have any suggestions or ideas or has ever heard of this problem ? Any help would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks !

This is getting quite interesting because this is exactly what i was looking for, an acura forum, and i thought i would be alone, but i guess im not. I have a 93 Legend L, excellent car (touchwood) but just for this one thing. Same problem as u described, everything is fine, lights turn on fine, the self starter works, u can hear the engine cough but it just wont start. It has happened to me 3 times in 6 months and twice it took about 30-45 minutes of waiting before it magically started by itself, and once it took just 10 minutes. Now i dont know much about cars but what i have observed is that this has to be some electrical issue for obvious reasons. The battery on mine is almost new, distributor could be one , probably the most likely, which reminds me to check where mine is, or even if there is one in these cars? hnmm... but what i have noticed with my acura is the electricals acting funny at times, u know like turn on the ciggerete lighter and the ashtray light goes off, the stereo lights flicker, ever so slightly, in the darkest of nights, once the alarm went off on me even though i had opened the car properly, all i did was lock it and open it again and all was well, so with these funny signs its electrical i think, what exactly i duno, ill keep a watch, you guys too, whoever's car breaks down, so that they have to tow it to the dealer must come in to share what went wrong i hope its none of us though, i just love the car, i would hate to hate it for treating me bad
asadkhan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 05:32 AM   #5
black viper
AF Newbie

Exclamation Most Common Componet

alot of peps have had this prob and 9 out of 10 times its the master relay. under the dash, cheap way to test is find a legond @ a junk yard and dig arond under the dash for it. 89 here and mine cost $98.99 in autozone @ san antonio, tx. junk yard free, as they don't charge for fuses and relays as most people can jus' pocket it anyways.
black viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 07:41 AM   #6
asadkhan25
AF Newbie

Re: Most Common Componet

Quote:
Originally Posted by black viper
alot of peps have had this prob and 9 out of 10 times its the master relay. under the dash, cheap way to test is find a legond @ a junk yard and dig arond under the dash for it. 89 here and mine cost $98.99 in autozone @ san antonio, tx. junk yard free, as they don't charge for fuses and relays as most people can jus' pocket it anyways.

Ahan, thanks for that info, any other experiences are also welcome
Old 12-29-2005, 05:30 AM   #7
jmkelly45
AF Newbie

Had the same problem with my '88 and it turned out to be a sensor in the distributor. The problem was temperature sensitive. Didn't even have to replace the whole distributor, just the crank angle sensor in the distributor. No problems since.
jmkelly45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 09:04 PM   #8
Ratchett
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by henpike
It will start fine for days and days on end but then all of a sudden Like as if the battery is dead but its not ! There are lights, chimes, radio, fan, everything works but when I go to turn the ignition.....NOTHING like if its a stone cold dead battery.
If all the lights come up but then dims and no sound when you start then that's usually the battery straps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asadkhan25
Same problem as u described, everything is fine, lights turn on fine, the self starter works, u can hear the engine cough but it just wont start. It has happened to me 3 times in 6 months and twice it took about 30-45 minutes of waiting before it magically started by itself, and once it took just 10 minutes.
If you hear a cough then it usually means that the injectors are sticking and flooding, which is different from the OP. Run some fuel cleaners thru the injectors in your tank.
Ratchett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 03:04 PM   #9
PAINAID69
AF Newbie

maybe replace the relay i have had that problem before and it was the relay
PAINAID69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:35 AM   #10
mj's90Lcpe
AF Newbie

It it more than likely the main relay up under the steering column. I needed a mirror on a teloscoping stick to find and replace.A small person is best for this task. You can buy new one and spot mate under dash. Repair manuals may explain further. A honda/acura tech should charge about 1/2 hour labor.Good luck
mj's90Lcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:36 PM   #11
asadkhan25
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratchett
If all the lights come up but then dims and no sound when you start then that's usually the battery straps.

If you hear a cough then it usually means that the injectors are sticking and flooding, which is different from the OP. Run some fuel cleaners thru the injectors in your tank.

I am just wondering, if it is indeed an issue with injectors blocking or something, then shouldnt this happen in the mornings, or after the car has remained stopped overnight or for a few days? Because in my case, twice it happened during the morning and once it happened right after i travelled 20 miles, stopped for 5 minutes and came back and wont start.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:23 PM   #12
Gpatino11
AF Newbie

Smile Re: 1990 Legend....Starting Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj's90Lcpe
It it more than likely the main relay up under the steering column. I needed a mirror on a teloscoping stick to find and replace.A small person is best for this task. You can buy new one and spot mate under dash. Repair manuals may explain further. A honda/acura tech should charge about 1/2 hour labor.Good luck

Well I have the same problem like eveybody else the car will not star sometimes, but now it won't start at all, I've changed the Alternator, Battery, Distributor, Coil, Igniter, fuel pump I don't know what else to change is almost new since I did the water pump and timing belt before, every time I change something it will work for a while and then again the same problem, but Im getting desperate here. So I came up with a solution and fed current directly from the battery to the starter and will start without problem. Otherwise when I try to start it won't even crank but I get a click inside sounds like is coming from under the dash or the globe compartment ....so I'm going to check the relay under the dashboard........I will keep ypu guys informed.
Gpatino11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:38 AM   #13
kidwolk
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpatino11
Well I have the same problem like eveybody else the car will not star sometimes, but now it won't start at all, I've changed the Alternator, Battery, Distributor, Coil, Igniter, fuel pump I don't know what else to change is almost new since I did the water pump and timing belt before, every time I change something it will work for a while and then again the same problem, but Im getting desperate here. So I came up with a solution and fed current directly from the battery to the starter and will start without problem. Otherwise when I try to start it won't even crank but I get a click inside sounds like is coming from under the dash or the globe compartment ....so I'm going to check the relay under the dashboard........I will keep ypu guys informed.
Do you have any information from the diagnosis of the relay?

Thanks
kidwolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:57 AM   #14
88CoupeStd
AF Newbie

(I just posted this on an older thread but thought it might help you) I have this problem too. Sometimes where the starter pinion gear and flywheel gears meet they get worn down and it acts like the relay or solenoid is messed up. To get the car to start put it into 5th gear, put one leg outside to push and put pressure on tranny. While doing this turn the key to start and once it starts quickly push in on clutch. Oh... make sure your not too close to anything in front of the car cause it will jump a little. Hope this helps people out.
88CoupeStd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:14 AM   #15
nandomoly
AF Newbie

Im having the same problem did you find a solution to fix your CAR LET ME KNOW EITHER WAY THANKS
nandomoly is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Legend | RL