Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-24-2002, 12:08 AM   #1
goldringer
AF Newbie

Angry 2002 Toyota Tacoma 4 cyl engine knocking

I just purchased a new 2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtra cab, 4 cyl, 5 speed. It would be a nice truck except for a minor problem. The Engine knocks.

the day I drove it off the lot I thought it was an exhaust noise but am now convinced it is a main bearing knock caused probably by a bad crank. I took it to the service dept and they could not tell me what the noise was but said it was typical of this years engine. Now that I have driven it for 2600 miles I am sure it is a bad crank. I hear that a few others had this same problem. Toyota has agreed to replace the short block but I said no, I want a refund. I spent good US dollars and I expect a good product, not one that has been overhauled.

Anyone elso know of others with this problem?
goldringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 04:35 PM   #2
blacktaco
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to blacktaco
Exclamation not yet

I haven't had that problem, but if it is a common problem I guess I should be worried. I had a leaky place in my firewall that soaked my floorboard in the passenger's side, and the dealer told me that it was a common problem also. Where are the recalls?!! All of these damned common problems!
Old 11-19-2002, 04:25 AM   #3
cantbeatit
AF Newbie

4cyl. engine knocking

I've got it too. 2002 2.7L 4x4 etra cab 5 speed. dealer does not know the problem. They gave me the same line about short block replacement. Supposed to let me know on 11/19/02. 2 other trucks were at the dealer for the same problem.

My truck started making the noise at 2000 miles

Good luck getting a refund. I am in South Carolina and we participate in the lemon law. They get 3 tries to fix. If not, I will have legal recourse. I have the 100k warrantee also. So, they have awhile to deal with me. If everyone that has this problem would raise hell about it, Toyota would do the right thing.

Keep us updated on your issue. As will I.

Later
cantbeatit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 03:00 PM   #4
Cam.P
AF Newbie

Mine doing something similar

Mine is a 2003 2.7L 4x4 and it makes a deep knocking or thudding noise prevalent between 1800 and 2000 rpm under light to moderate loads. The noise is more evident when the engine is cold. I also notice a clutch noise like judder when the clutch is engaging and is slipped a little on upshifting but there is no pedal pulsation, not like any clutch chatter I have ever experienced. I am wondering if the clutch and engine noise issues are related perhaps as you mention something to do with the crankshaft end thrust. The engine has 1100 miles on it and the engine noise seems to be louder that when brand new. I am wondering if I am experiencing the same sound you others seem to hear, deep knock, but not a true main bearing rumble, being the key here, I would also be most interested in knowing if your dealers have diagnosed the problem. My dealer says: " they all do that , wait a while." SO here I am , waiting for the moment.

It is also my understanding that documentation is extremely important in Lemon Law cases and that any evidence that the defect is widely known is also helpful. Would like to keep in touch.

Cam

Last edited by Cam.P; 01-30-2003 at 10:20 AM.
Cam.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 08:28 AM   #5
Cam.P
AF Newbie

Well, I finally went in to the dealer with my issue. The tech can't hear the knock. Funny, I kind of suspected I would get that answer. They say maybe exhaust resonance or injector pulses. I didn't know those could knock/thud. True, it isn't real loud and it doesn't sound like a diesel but my buddies can hear it, and drives me nuts, so now I am off to another dealer. I strongly suspect is this is a crank related problem and sure would appreciate hearing what other dealers have said about the cause if any of you have had the benefit.
Old 03-27-2003, 05:41 PM   #6
opensource
AF Newbie

Well, you guys can add me to the list. Same knocking sound between 1800 and 2000 under light load. Engine doesn't feel as if it's missing. I can hear the noise very faintly if the truck's parked in neutral, clutch out, and revs bround up to around 1000. What bugs me is that I spent hours reading all the reviews of Tacoma owners who'd owned crummy small American trucks and were much more satisfied with their new Tacomas. So I go out and buy a year-old '02 with 8K on it and I get a rod noise along with the deal. Great. Well at least I got an extra warranty that covers me to 100K. I'm not sure if I'll go back to the dealer with the problem -- I may just drive it as is and let it be a rolling advertisement against this motor. We'll see how bad it gets over time....

OS
opensource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 10:27 AM   #7
Cam.P
AF Newbie

I have now been to a second dealer and they acknowledge the noise and agree it is telegraphing through the clutch. They tell me it would show up on the knock sensers but it is not a problem. Do they know what it is? No! Or at least they wont say so. They wrote it up as "no correctable condition found" with no other comment. When pressed about this comment they said since it is not a problem, this is how we generalize.

I have lost all faith in Toyota. This second dealer even suggested they would charge for a dianostic if they did more other than a test drive with a tech. I guess that in my area you have to go the toyota dealerships with your attorney in tow. Unbelieveable!
Old 05-25-2003, 07:52 PM   #8
Jeff Vought
AF Newbie

Count me in too!

I am also experiencing the knocking noise. At first I thought it was the brand of gas I was using and then maybe the octane but that didn't work. I then contacted the dealer and they scoped the motor, checked pulleys for chatter, checked the exhaust manifold for cracks and just about anything they could check and then sent me home. They said I would just have to drive it until it worsens or breaks. Not a good feeling at all and after owning alot of fine Toyotas in the past this one worries me. I check in here while surfing to find that many others are experiencing the same problem. I have contacted the dealer and when they reopen after the holiday I expect to get some awnswers. I can't put up with this, like previously stated it just drives you nuts. Obviously Toyota has problem. I have an automatic so that leaves out the clutch theory for me. Its time to get to the bottom of this.

jv::
Old 06-10-2003, 10:58 PM   #9
Rx4Fun
AF Newbie

In 01, I bought a 2.7 liter Tacoma 4x4 reg cab and had the same problem. It would make a knocking sound only when I'd start it up in the morning on a cold day. After running for about 10 seconds, it would go away.

Now my truck has almost 39,000 miles on it, and it hasn't made the sound in about a year and a half so I'm not too worried about it. I wonder if it happened only when I was breaking in the engine? Any thoughts on this?
Rx4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 09:28 AM   #10
Cam.P
AF Newbie

Your noise sounds like it may have been an oil circulation issue when cold. Higher ambient temps, different oil or possible breakin could change when or if you hear knocks on start up. I have experienced the cold start up rattle and it is not the sound I am concerned with, nor do I really think this is the same noise others are hearing. Still waiting for someone to post a difinitive comment from toyota. No doubt we all wish it would just go away.
Old 06-13-2003, 02:48 AM   #11
Rx4Fun
AF Newbie

originally, I thought it was a post '01 problem, but if Jeff is having the same problem with his '99, you have me stumped. I'll ask my Toyota mechanic this weekend. He's always been a reliable source for these things.
Rx4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 07:54 PM   #12
Jeff Vought
AF Newbie

I have contacted Toyota and they sent me through corporate head quarters. They told me who to contact at my dealer and I did just that. They tell me the problem has been documented. All that they can do is take my truck back for about a week and see what they can find. Toyota told me that there hasn't been any other complaints so I suggest you guys get on their website and give them a call or an e-mail and let them know whats happening with yours also. There is definitely a problem with something.

I might add that mine makes the noise while cold and hot. Its very annoying and I still think it runs different since the noise showed up.

I will have to take the truck back sometime soon and let them have it I guess and see what they come up with. That will be a second and then I may have to try another dealer for my third try and then back to corporate. What a mess!
Old 07-07-2003, 09:35 AM   #13
Cam.P
AF Newbie

I have just been to the dealer again, this time to replace a defective ball joint seal. I asked them again to check out the "noise" The tech agreed it was weird; the first thing that came to his mind was thrust washers on the crank. He said he would investigate and enlist the aid of other techs. When I got he truck back I was informed they had driven a brand new Tacoma with only 9 miles on it and it made the sound too. From this it was concluded the sound was normal, an artifact of this particular engine. Early on in this adventure, I contacted Toyota and documented my concerns about the sound, so they have heard about it. Thing is, the Toyota help line is just a receptionist and the record apparently goes nowhere. It might possibley help if the problem becomes catastrophic after your drive train warranty is up. I really believe this noise has everyone stumped and they hesitate to really spend any time trying to figure out what it is.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:46 PM   #14
Jeff Vought
AF Newbie

Thanks for the update Cam P. I have been watching to see if anyone has come up with anything. I still haven't took mine back to the dealer but I'm really beginning to wonder if its worth it. I hate the noise but if nothing is really wrong why bother. It's an ify matter. Like I stated previously I contacted toyota and my problem has been documented but thats all. I think too they would take care of us if something did come out of this after the warranty but ya never know.

Jeff
Old 07-20-2003, 10:24 AM   #15
Cam.P
AF Newbie

Since Jeff has mentioned his runs different since the noise started I wonder if this noise is not possibly igntion related. I have been carefully listening to mine and I am beginning to suspect that the noise might be transmitted to the bell housing ( therefore feeling like it is trans and crank related) through the bracket that holds the exhaust head pipe to housing. I took mine to a Japanese mechanic and had him listen to the noise and he thought maybe there was unburnt fuel igniting in the ehaust system, but not on every firing pulse. Also I notice that
my sparkplugs don't show even color all the way across and two of my coils are different in resistance by just over 10%. I wonder if anyone has had Toyota hook up their computer to look at ignition. This kinda seems like grasping at straws but it is the furthest I have gotten trying to identify the noise.

In spite of that fact that the dealer said a new truck made a similar noise, I don't believe that justifies the thing as normal because it is to say that any problem is unique to a particular machine. Recalls disprove this in a big way. One dealer also told me the knock sensors should hear this sound. The Japanese mechanic I spoke to said it is likely that the dealers don't want to take the time to chase this down because it is a difficult diagnosis and Toyota won't reimburse for much of their time. So you get a truck with noise that might cause premature wear but probably will fall outside of warranty. I guess I just don't have enough trust in the dealers after they say " oh yes, disturbing sound" then speculate an dfinally rationalize it away. After all the techs I have had listen to it, there is about 110 years of combined experience and no adifinitive answer as to what it is.

Last edited by Cam.P; 07-29-2003 at 10:48 AM.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma