Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 11:11 AM   #1
mm3030
AF Newbie

Any rights to a refund for used car buyer?

I purchased a 2003 Mazda 6 last week. I paid cash and signed and “as-is” agreement. After taking the car to a mechanic they told me that the car needed the repairs listed below:

Front brake pads
Front rotors
Rear brake pads
Rear rotors
Rear calipers
Air filter
Cabin air filter
Bleed hydraulic system
Front struts
Rear shock absorbers

I had them repair these items which totaled a good amount of money. After the repair my mechanic told me that it was hard to repair the shock absorbers because the bottom of the car was rusted badly because it had obviously been in a flood (not disclosed by dealer). Also, the check engine light came on after I left the dealership, I just got this checked and the code says it is misfiring on one of the cylinders.

I also signed a “Odometer Disclosure Statement”. When I went to sign, the salesman was filling out the mileage and asked me if I knew the correct mileage, I said “I don't know, 76 something” He then put down 76,625 which was not the correct mileage. On carfax it says they listed it with 76,633 and when I bought it I saw it had 76,782, so the Odometer Disclosure Statement is incorrect.

I know that as-is means as-is, but due to the lack of information disclosed, the vast amount of problems, and the odometer statement being wrong (on the low end), do I have any prayer of getting the money I spent on the car and/or repair money back? I contacted an attorney and they want me to come in, but that is an expensive 1/2 hour consultation if they are just going to tell me "nope, you are screwed".

Any advice?

Thanks
mm3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:31 PM   #2
ettomed
AF Newbie

Re: Any rights to a refund for used car buyer?

Just my honest opinion I think you just bought a used car. You get some gems and some junk. That's the chance you take buying anything now a days. The items you listed are normal wear. and tear for the most part. Just consider it life experience.
ettomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:24 PM   #3
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: Any rights to a refund for used car buyer?

As-is means as-is. You are supposed to take the car to a mechanic BEFORE you purchase. The mechanic would have pointed out all the issues and you would have used that to negotiate the price down.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A