Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Talk
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-14-2001, 05:44 PM   #1
MrCorvetteZ06
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to MrCorvetteZ06
There is a Bullitt GT parked a few blocks away from my house...it looks okay, but I still think I would rather a Cobra.
Penski adjustable shocks, Lowered 1", B&B Ripper w/ MoMo, Combat/red, MSD wires, custom long tube headers, Hypertech Programmed chip, underdrive pulleys, adjustable throttle regulator, McLeod Twin Disk Clutch w/Z06 slave unit, Throttle Body, 75 lbs. shot NOS

MrCorvetteZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 06:23 PM   #2
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

Send a message via ICQ to igor@af Send a message via AIM to igor@af
But the Bullit only has like 275 horses....
I don't think it's anything special
Old 05-02-2001, 05:29 PM   #3
Jordo
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Jordo
I say get a Roush Stage 3

I want a roush stage 2 with a vortech charger and a 100 shot of nos.. hehhe i would be able to hang with your vette.
Old 06-15-2001, 01:58 AM   #4
Ferrari 308
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Ferrari 308
Bullits (and all stangs) are sweet... my dad wants to get a bullit pretty soon, and a '70 boss 302, but that's another story
Ferrari 308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 01:53 PM   #5
matty_bou
AF Newbie

my dad works at the ford plant here in st paul. they build ranger pick up's. we can get any ford vehicle for a discount cause of his job. i just hope we get a bullitt man thats a sweet car
Old 09-01-2001, 09:51 PM   #6
Trigger351
AF Enthusiast

Cool

Yep it is nice:smoker2:

Its great to see FORD getting into the "specials"
:smoka:
Old 09-15-2001, 09:21 PM   #7
twidge
AF Newbie

jordo you n00b, it's the stage 3's that come blown. I would rather take a saleen S281 S/C tho.
twidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2001, 10:12 PM   #8
Heep
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Heep Send a message via MSN to Heep
I love the Bullitt...it's so clean looking. That color with those great seats just evokes a huge sense of "I want it." Have you seen the gauges? They're made to look like classic guages with the old style font (and needles, I think). Cool car.

Old 09-17-2001, 07:39 AM   #9
josedi
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to josedi
Its not the Horsepower that makes the car special, Its the way the power band was optimized, Unlike the regular GT or the Cobra, The power band on the BULLIT is usefull from a mere 2000 RPM to 6200RPM, On the dyno the car shows full power and maximun torque through out those RPMs. What that translates too is that you have full use of the power at almost any section of the power band. Not many motors can do that. If the stock power is not enough, For an extra $3,500.00 Ford dealers will slap on the Super Charger kit and retain full factory warranty. The super charged Bullit makes around 425HP and 478ft-lb torque. Dyno results showed 372-RWHP and 410 ft-lb of torque, All this power from under $35,000. Best deal around if you ask me. And personally i think the Bullits interior is probably the best Mustang interior ever on any Musgtang. The gauges are a little too funky for me, they are retro style. But great car overall.

:bandit:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bullitt1800x600.jpg (70.9 KB, 199 views)

93 Nissan 240SX SE SR20DET Blacktop Swap
01 Lexus IS 300 e-Shift
[url]www.240sxforums.com[/img]
josedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 07:54 AM   #10
josedi
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to josedi

And what car do you drive Igor????:finger:

Quote:
Originally posted by igor@af
But the Bullit only has like 275 horses....
I don't think it's anything special
josedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 09:14 PM   #11
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

Re: I say get a Roush Stage 3

Quote:
Originally posted by Jordo
I want a roush stage 2 with a vortech charger and a 100 shot of nos.. hehhe i would be able to hang with your vette.
concentrate on other mods before you do nitrous...
"Your ice don't shine an your chain hollow/ why you front in clubs for hours wit tha same bottle/ takin midget sips/ I run wit the richest clicks/ Tap the thickest chicks/ plus drop the slickest hits/ you know nothin about L/ so don't doubt L/ what's this muthafuckin rap game wit out L/ Yo that's like jewels wit out ice/ that's like china wit out rice/ or the holy bible wit out christ/ tha bulls wit out mike/ crack heads wit out pipes/ or hockey games wit out fights/ don't touch the mic if you aint able to spit/ flamboyant is tha label i'm wit.. muthafucka.... Big L"
gang$tarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 12:10 AM   #12
Hobie1113
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Hobie1113
Bullit's are sweet. When I first heard about them coming out, I ran to rent the movie, Bullit with Steve McQueen, not that great, but awesome chase seen with another great car (69 Dodge Charger R/T). Anyway the new Bullit's are awesome. Luckily there's one that parks next to me now, still got no tags on it. So what if it's not the quickest mustang out there, I'd take one if I could. The gauges in those things are cool and so are the seats.

Bill
Tint on back 3 windows
Hobie1113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 03:11 PM   #13
DVSNCYNIKL
R.I.P. DAD 3/25/11

Send a message via ICQ to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via AIM to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via Yahoo to DVSNCYNIKL
Some more info on the Bullitt!

You need to be wearing a leather jacket over a turtleneck as you slide onto the dark, charcoal leather driver's seat of the Ford Bullitt Mustang-even if your local weather is nothing like the constant fog of San Francisco. Driving a car bearing this name requires you to look the part. Fire up the distinctly American, if now overhead-cammed, V-8, and you'll hear the appropriately soft-spoken yet manly burble. It's a sound befitting someone who dances to the beat of his own drum, of existential anti-hero Frank Bullitt-created and played by the icy cool Steve McQueen at the height of his still-cult-like powers-caught between the bad guys who wear badges and the bad guys who don't.
So you've bought into the car's name, its aura, its raison d'être, and you're ready to do battle in your daily commute.

Slip the aluminum-shift-knobbed five-speed manual into gear and meld into traffic coolly, maturely, and wearing the right shades, of course. With but a hint of badging-only the Bullitt name on the rear deck and on the rocker-panel sills, hidden until a door is open-nobody will know you're out trolling for a triple-black '68 Dodge Charger. Low-key 'tude is what the Bullitt's about. Perhaps it's also about style by way of anti-style. And fortunately, it also functions as a real car for those of us who can't be McQueen wannabes 24/7.

To transform the Mustang GT into the Bullitt, Ford added a cast aluminum SVT Cobra intake manifold, plus a twin-bore 57mm throttle body and port-matched heads to the existing 4.6L SOHC V-8. There's also an alternator and windage tray from the Cobra, plus a high-flow exhaust system with special tailpipes. Power is up just 5 horses over the standard GT, to 265. Torque comes in at 305 lb-ft at 4000 rpm versus 302 at 4000 for the GT. The standard Bullitt comes in Dark Highland Green-and looks fantastic. Don't even think about the True Blue or black paint options; McQueen's 'Stang was dark metallic-green, baby, and that's all there is to it.

Outside, its C-pillar has been modified to make smaller rear-quarter windows, while ride height has been lowered 3/4 in. The Mustang's standard side scoops are covered, and there's a competition-style brushed-aluminum fuel-filler door. American Racing Torq Thrust D-style wheels mimic the ones on Frank Bullitt's '68 Mustang GT, but with red disc brake calipers peeking out from behind them. The only over-the-top Bullitt detail is the white mustang horse imprinted on each caliper. Fortunately, the rest of the car is devoid of excessive cladding and wings; Ford Styling Chief J Mays, who championed this project from the beginning, is known for not liking fussy details. For the full McQueen effect, remove the chrome Mustang emblem from the center of the honeycomb grille.

The Bullitt Mustang's interior is as subtle as the rest of the car. The perforated leather buckets are comfortable, but they're fairly soft and not heavily bolstered. Most of the details-the steering wheel cover, seats, door and console trim, all in black leather-blend in and hide in the dark interior. White-face gauges, aluminum pedal covers with black grips, and especially that aluminum gearshift knob stand out. But it's all purposeful and low-key. The interior is one further reminder that this car is about driving, not showing off.
The Bullitt-spec V-8 runs pretty much like the standard GT's engine, serving up good low-end torque and a strong stream of power in every gear, right to redline. The GT we tested in 1999 recorded slightly better acceleration times, possibly due to the fact that our test Bullitt was a brand-new car lacking any sort of break-in. Still, with just 200 miles on the clock, we got a 5.6-sec 0-60-mph time, just 0.2 sec slower than the '99 GT's. The Bullitt gets through the quarter in 14.07 sec at 97.9 mph, versus 14 flat and 100.2 mph. It beat the GT in 60-0-mph braking by nearly a foot, and its slalom speed of 63.4 mph plants it firmly between the stock GT (63 mph flat) and the Roush Mustang we tested for our June '01 issue (63.8 mph).

With its live rear axle and aging, not overly stiff chassis, the Bullitt offers point-and-shoot handling that relies on the meaty 17-in. Goodyear Eagles for help. Ford also revalved the Tokico struts and shocks, added frame rail connectors, and gave the car unique anti-roll bars. The ride quality is comfortable for a car of this ilk, but it's stiff enough that imprudent use of the throttle (on purpose or not) lets you kick the rear end out mid-corner, until the traction control catches it. That traction control is fairly invasive: We even felt it kick in on our slalom course-though you can turn it off. Steering is direct and properly weighted. Overall, the suspension is firm and well suited for getting around corners smoothly and quickly, with a ride/handling balance that works for both performance driving and everyday use.

Should you consider it over a standard Mustang GT? At $27,300, the Bullitt carries a $3695 premium. The retro/modern wheels (which look so good that Ford now offers them as an option on the GT) and the minor body and interior mods account for maybe half that difference. The rest is in the engine and suspension mods; given all the hardware upgrades, we suspect a fully broken-in example will show a few tenths of a second advantage at the road course.

Ford expects to build about 6500 Bullitts this year, each with a special ID number. It's the first in a series of short-term specials designed to bring extra excitement and collectibility into the current car, until the all-new Mustang arrives in '04. Look for a Mustang Mach 1 version in '02, and a 5.0L Boss 302 in '03. Should you choose a Bullitt over a standard GT? Of course; if you like the treatment-and we do-by all means buy one. Its cleanly muscular styling enhancements are probably reason enough. Or maybe, you just want to feel a little bit like Steve, and go out and do some Charger hunting once in a while.